Search Unity

[Feature request] Face handles

Discussion in 'World Building' started by EngineArtist, Mar 28, 2020.

1. EngineArtist

EngineArtist

Would it be possible to have similar handles for brush faces than what we have for vertices? I'm talking about those small boxes you see when you go to vertex mode, but for faces. And why not for edges as well...

Also, it would be nice if they rendered through geometry. And when you drag one, currently the editor starts drawing a selection box, but it would be better if the handle responded instead. So, to summarize:

- Small box-handles for faces and edges (see vertex handles)
    - Handles of a selected object should render through geometry
    - Dragging a handle should move it, instead of drawing a selection box
    - Clicking a handle should retain its current behaviour, i.e. selecting the element

Subtle things like these make a huge difference in usability and workflow. Also the texture alignment workflow could be improved with regards to handles, but I'll make a separate thread about that.

Cheers,
    Miika Vihersaari

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Miika! I can't say we'll have this soon, but I'm a big fan of it, and have been looking into how we could do this Unity-wide. Imagine if everything was a handle, and could be click-dragged to manipulate! :)

3. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

This is a preference in the Preferences > ProBuilder > Graphics section. Change the handle z test to "Always."

4. EngineArtist

EngineArtist

Wow, that escalated quickly! :D Um, that would definitely be amazing! It would open up a lot of possibilities. I remember seeing somewhere that they've exposed the Handles-api. Is this related to that?

Just out of curiosity, if I were to write a temporary implementation for face and edge handles, would I be somehow able to contribute that? Make it public? Pull request? How do community contributions work when it comes to Unity?

That only works for selected elements. Non-selected verts/edges/faces of the selected object won't render through geometry. But that's another feature request I suppose :) I could take a look at this as well.

Since you guys are working for Unity, can you tell me roughly the under-the-hood situation of Unity editor when it comes to implementing things like workflow/usability features? How much have these sorts of things been taken into account in the way the foundation has been written? My current guess is that Unity is going through a similar situation as Blender: there's a rising need/pressure for a change towards standard workflow, which triggers a foundational overhaul. I understand if you can't talk about this, I'm just curious. Anyways, I think Unity is an amazing tool, and I'm eager to see it become even better.

Cheers,
    Miika Vihersaari

5. antoinebr_unity

antoinebr_unity

Unity Technologies

It's pretty much a per team/packages basis if they accept pull requests. In the case of Probuilder specifically, it's available on github and we accept pull requests: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.probuilder.

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! Regarding workflow and standardization, yes that's a getting a big push. Our team is front-and-center on a number of items there:
    - Customizable Toolbars
    - Better Scene Overlays
    - ToolMode API
    - Tool Contexts
    - Selection-Based Tools
    - Generic Splines
    - Customizable Handles and in-Scene Info
    - Unified Brush/Painting Tools

Lots and lots of groundwork for 2020, then in the 2021 release cycle we should be able to start building all the very cool tools on top of this :)