Search Unity

Feature request: Exit Unity Hub when clicking exit

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by techknight, Jul 12, 2019.

1. techknight

techknight

Hello! I first submitted this as a bug report but was asked to post here instead.

Here is my feature request:

When I use Unity Hub for Windows and click the Exit button (the little "X" next to Minimize/Maximize), I would like Unity Hub to exit.

At the moment, when I click Exit, Unity Hubs does not exit.

Thanks!

Tonymotion, EpicCon and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  2. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @techknight ,
    To quit the Hub, you may use the tray menu.
    As for exiting the Hub process at 'X', we will take it into consideration as a setting.

3. imps13

imps13

Huge oversight.

4. Bystram

Bystram

Speaking as a software developer who used to work at Microsoft, it goes against Windows software development UI best practices.

Tonymotion and Hydracorp like this.
  5. CliftonB

CliftonB

Are you still taking this into consideration? The concept of closing a program when the user closes it? I see no reason for a launcher to be taking resources when it's not in use.

Tonymotion likes this.
  6. Baledin

Baledin

Hate to bump a very old thread, but considering I just noticed it was in my tray instead of closed earlier today.... BUMP

Tonymotion likes this.
  7. abitowhit

abitowhit

One thing I did notice, since this is still a topic for discussion, was that the token can expire if you leave Unity open in a project for an extended period, which causes token errors in package mgr. I forgot about the tray shutdown option because I forgot it is still running in the background, but I did resolve the token problem by closing everything Unity in task manager, including licensing and the token errors went away. If you do not shut it down, the token will never refresh. Maybe a refresh token option?
    Next time I will try just shutting down using tray to see if that fixes it.
    Another nicety would be a tray hover tooltip that says Unity Hub like every other tray icon, it is fairly simple to add.
    Just my $.02. :)
    Still an awesome product.

8. SvendDino

SvendDino

As well as closing to the tray (i.e. not closing) the tray icon now doesn't even seem to have a right-click menu anymore. Is the only way to actually close the Hub really through the task manager? Is this by design or a bug?

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

I just checked and the latest release has the right-click menu.

10. acor07

acor07

Apps that do this just dissolve trust with users, especially developers. We know its marketing to keep Unity running in your tray even after you think its closed, there is zero purpose for it to sit there taking resources when reopening the Hub is trivially quick on modern systems....

Tonymotion and EpicCon like this.
  11. EpicCon

EpicCon

BUMP, its been 4 years.. is it really this hard to make the Hub EXIT when clicked on EXIT (x) button? the ACTUAL intended purpose? it gives of impression that i am using some spyware.

Tonymotion likes this.
  12. khos

khos

I mean , look at the state of the company with CEOs going etc, do you think they are worried about this.... I'm going to write a script that does this, I hate the fact it does not actually close, so flippin sneaky.