Search Unity

Feature Request: Editor Remembering tab layout for Maximized window vs Half Screen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yodamaycry, Nov 25, 2021.

1. yodamaycry

yodamaycry

I use an Ultrawide monitor for running the editor and Visual Studio side by side, but sometimes I like to "maximize" the editor window to get the full effect. My problem is that when you click the "maximize window button" the Editor (2021.2.3) stretches the width of EVERY tab to fit the full screen, but I need most of my tabs to stay the same width while only stretching the Game/Scene tab to fill the screen. So I have to manually shrink the width of every tab to use it in full screen mode, and then when I click to "un-maximize" and go back to half screen mode, every darn tab gets squished in it's width making them too small to use, so I have to manually readjust every tab again to fit the new half screen arrangement.

You may be thinking it's possible to create two different Layouts, one for full screen and one for half screen, but seriously that is an extra 2 mouse clicks and seconds of waiting for the new Layout after every window change, which should be instantaneous. It's small in the grand scheme of things, but it bugs the crap out of me for some reason.

The feature request is that the Editor would remember the two distinct window arrangement sizes for Full screen and Half screen when clicking the windows "maximize button" to switch back and forth.

Thanks

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

This sounds pretty sensible, honestly. UItrawide displays are getting more and more common in dev circles so this seems like a good UX improvement.

3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

IIRC, at least the Mac (and probably Win) has that something like that built into the UI, at least I have seen other apps do that. It is a fairly minor inconvenience, but one that would be nice to have.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm actually thinking you could probably write a script for that. Nicer to have it built in, but probably solvable if it really annoys you.