Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Feature Request: Drag and Drop Decals

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by FGPArthurVII, Nov 18, 2020.

1. FGPArthurVII

FGPArthurVII

Over the years It is highly noticeable that when in regards to the Decal System Unity has been a lot lacking actually. I was watching the other day a video on Doom Eternal's IdTech 7 and It was documented that they've made and extremelly extensive use of Decals in their scenes to allow artists to alter the asset on the go, and I'm not talking about huge dirty walls or some other thing to make tiles a little different, but inches wide logos on the walls/assets; Nails and Screws added in-engine... small details such as panel markings, grunge of course. Here is the link for anyone who's interested:

Which makes sense after all It's not always practical to have those tiny things exported in texture maps where you may have problems of lack of resolution to portray, and even If you want to twich some details a bit having to go over the image editing software reexporting It waiting for Unity to load up the new map. Sometimes It's better to alter It right there and now specially If It's just something a little off.

I've noticed in the video also, that much like substance painter and Zbrush, at some extent, their Decal system works on a pretty Drag and Drop basis, they simply drag the decal Into scene which automatically attaches to the surface and lets you chose where on the model you want to place It while also allowing scaling and rotation on the go, fast, practical and elegant. in Unity however we have to create a gameObject which will be a volume to the Decal in some direction and then you have to manipulate It through the world until having some surface overlap the volume so It's projecting Into, than you have to rotate It just right, scale It just right, do everything just right just so you can get something done and then hope you do not need a box huge enough to having some other thing passing in the way and getting infected by the decal volume. Considering Unity is well used from the drag and drop formula and considering last endeavors to bring more artists ultimately It'd be very good to have things like these made practical!

Another Example, but this one was made in Blender though:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/comments/k7d857/i_figured_out_how_to_create_fully_dynamic_mesh/

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020