Search Unity

Feature Request - Different Colours for Local Packages in Project View

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by equalsequals, Jun 8, 2018.

1. equalsequals

equalsequals

Hey there,

First off, I'm loving the direction of Packages in 2018.2, specifically how they are organized in the Project Window. One thing that came up while giving another Engineer at our studio a run-down of the Packages feature was that it's not easy to tell which Packages are Local and which ones are not.

A simple change to the Folder colour was their suggestion. In this case, I have pulled SRP from GitHub and installed them as Local Packages:

Cheers

2. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi @equalsequals,

Thanks for the feedback, it's noted. We're actively brainstorming & working on the UX for packages installed within your project. To clarify, when you say local, are modifying the source package in any way? (we're starting to use the term "embedded" package in that case, where it's no longer linked back to back Unity hosted repository)

Thanks again,
    Daniel

3. equalsequals

equalsequals

Hey @DanielTG thanks for responding.

When I say Local, I mean that I have pulled from your Git repo into a folder outside of my Assets directory and modified the manifest.json to point to the package (as mentioned by izym) We may or may not modify the package, but if we do the changes would be tracked as local Branch of that Git repo, so we can Fetch and Merge things appropriately as needed.

Cheers

4. equalsequals

equalsequals

@DanielTG I forgot to mention that we are also beginning to experiment with the new Packages as a means of distributing our internal Framework to our various Projects in the studio. This would be done through version control, and the workflow would be similar to branching from Unity's Git repositories.