Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Feature request] Being able to lock files.

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Marc-Saubion, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi everyone.

This week I'm working with a new team and got screwed-up by a tiny mistake. A team member made a change on one of my scenes and pushed it before I could do it. Since I was expecting a conflict on an unrelated file, I accepted to lose my local changes only to realize that I just erased one day of work.

Sure, it's my fault, I should have been more attentive, but in real life people get distracted and we have to work with beginners who will make unexpected death traps like this one. Hopefully for me, I'm ahead of schedule so I can repair the mistakes but I know from experience that this is common and can ruin an important demonstration.

Unity became a complex tool and we can't expect new users to become expert on prefabs and collaborate overnight. For that reason we should be able to lock files so we can make sure they won't be changed or erased by team members. The feature could later evolve with a black or white list of users but for now, just being sure your files are locked outside your user will be a good start.

Thanks.

2. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

by the way, an other feature that is much needed is to be able to know what team members are sending to you. Right now, I have an update to do and no idea what files are changed.

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Marc-Saubion! Thank you for the feature suggestion! I'll be sure to pass this along to the team!

As for your problem of having a pending update but not knowing what files have been changed, you can open you Collab History window to view what assets have been modified in the upcoming commit. The first 10 changes will be listed in the window but if there are more changes then you can click on the button that will take you to the Developer Dashboard to view all changes in that commit. I hope that helps you out!