Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature request: back button in the editor

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by melsov, Mar 30, 2019.

1. melsov

melsov

In projects with even a moderate number of files and/or scene objects, I spend a lot of time (cumulatively) scrolling through and drilling into folders/hierarchies to select assets and files.
    Often, the thing I'm looking for was something that I'd just selected before clicking somewhere else.

It would be great to have back and forwards buttons to wind your selection in the editor forwards and backwards. I'm imagining it would work a lot like the forwards and back buttons in windows or mac file browsers--except, admittedly, it would be a little more complex in that it would have to jump between the project window and hierarchy.

Apologies if there's already a thread for this.

Novack likes this.
  2. arielsan

arielsan

I implemented something for that because I had the same issue:

https://github.com/acoppes/unity-history-window

It would be nice if unity implemented something like this.

ps: I plan to add a package definition so it could be easily imported with UPM.

3. nick-morhun

nick-morhun

I made an editor script (which worked with Alt+Left and Alt+Right) some time ago. This week I planned to upload it to GitHub but after testing with new Unity versions I have found out that they use arrow keys in the Project tab, and now I have to find new shortcuts.

4. nick-morhun

nick-morhun

BTW in Unity you can use Ctrl+Z / Ctrl+Y to do this but this is unfortunately intertwined with undoing / repeating actual edits you have done.

5. Wappenull

Wappenull

(Advertisement)
    https://github.com/wappenull/unity-cutcopypaste-nav
    Hey, I tried to make that, with the help of starting code from CutCopyPaste (originally from http://twitter.com/talecrafter)
    Now you can
    - Copy (Ctrl+C) Cut (Ctrl+X) Paste (Crtl+V)
    - Back (Alt+Left) Forward (Alt+Right) Up one level (Alt+Up)

Known issue:
    - Might still not stable and bugged. Please report issue to my github, not here, I'm not monitoring unity forum.

melsov likes this.
  6. melsov

melsov

Thanks arielsan and Wappenull for posting your projects.
    Clearly I suck at monitoring my own post, as I'm just seeing this years later!
    Nonetheless, glad to hear I'm not the only one who needed history navigation in Unity.

I ended up writing my own back-forward button script after noticing that Selection.instanceIDs was a thing:

https://gist.github.com/melsov/eda9a716c8cf81d4a2c459f8b0b62c81

It only does back and forward navigation.
    It overrides "ctrl + minus" for use as the navigate back command.
    Not tested much.

SealDev and Wappenull like this.
  7. melsov

melsov

Just tried out @arielsan 's plugin and it looks terrific; love the favorites window.

arielsan likes this.
  8. B10nic

B10nic

9. kodra_dev

kodra_dev

One more kudos to unity-history-window. This kind of feature should really have been built-in in Unity.

drewjosh and kerjemanov like this.
  10. drewjosh

drewjosh

Hope Unity will add this to the Editor at some point. This is basic navigation stuff. Browsing in hierarchy is harder because of no back button...