Search Unity

Feedback [Feature Request] Alpha-sensitive 2D Masks

Discussion in '2D' started by HuldaGnodima, Mar 16, 2020.

1. HuldaGnodima

HuldaGnodima

Hello!

The masks in Unity are super-useful. I'm using the 2D-mask feature to show underwater landscapes in my project like so:

However, Unity masks only offers "hard edges" on their masks. What I mean with "hard edges" is that the mask-edges are sharp, even if the used mask-image has soft edges. For example in the effect above I'm using the soft-edged mask below:

Even if the mask-image has soft edges as in the image above (and a developer alters the alpha-settings in Unity) the resulting effect will always be sharp.
    From what I've understood this is because Unity's system uses bit-masking for 2D masks. If Unity allowed for alpha-sensitivity in masks the effect in the gif would look like this:

There are some paid assets that allow for soft masks in the asset store, however, these aren't integrated into Unity's own mask-system and can therefore be tricky to use (especially in complex systems).

For this reason I'm making a formal request to the Unity team to add Alpha-sensitive 2D-masks. The Unity system is already robust and great, and I think soft masks would make Unity even stronger and versatile. Alpha-sensitive 2D masks could become great assets for developers and result in improved projects.

Thank you!

FrancoPc likes this.
  2. HuldaGnodima

HuldaGnodima

Just want to double-check that this is the place to post feature requests? If anyone knows a better place, please share where and I will move my post there.

3. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Yes, you can post them here. We will take this into consideration, thanks!

HuldaGnodima likes this.
  4. HuldaGnodima

HuldaGnodima

Thank you for your reply ChuanXin!
    I'm happy to hear it, I'll be crossing my fingers. :)

I hope your Wednesday will be great!

Best regards,
    Hulda