Search Unity

[Feature Request] "Add to//Remove from Unity Hub" contextual menu

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AbrahamDUnity

How about adding an "Add to/Remove from Unity Hub" contextual menu in Windows/MacOS/Linux? Like I have an "Open with Photoshop..." in my images contextual menu?

2. Baste

Baste

That's gotta be behind an option. Context menus can get messy to the point of uselessness with all the programs that shove themselves in there, and editing the menu is a pain.

3. nitrofurano

nitrofurano

i think it totally depends on the operating system - on GNU/Linux you don't need to worry about it so much, since you have excellent file managers like Nautilus and Caja, and i guess we can do the same on Thunar as well, that allows running scripts as context menu on the selected documents and folders. (I actually consider it as a very essential and very basic feature that should come by default from whatever operating system!)

as Caja/Nautilus bash script, i have:

Code (Bash):
    1. #!/bin/bash
    2. filesall=""
    3. while [ $# -gt 0 ]
    4.   do
    5.     files=`echo "$1" | sed 's/ /\?/g'`
    6.     filesall="$files $filesall"
    7.     shift
    8.   done
    9. ~/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.0a10/Editor/Unity -projectPath $filesall&
    (don't forget to do "chmod +x" on this script, for making it as executable! )

there, we just need to select the folder where the project is, choose the script from the context menu, and there is Unity opening and loading the project, "automagically"! ;)

but this is for opening an existing project only.... - adding and removing it from a hub list i guess totally depends on this same feature being available as command line argument (i guess it is not totally impossible to implement, as it might be not the easiest feature to be added)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  4. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I have to side with Baste on this one. I don't think adding a contextual menu by default is ideal for most people.

fherbst and nitrofurano like this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Traitor! :p

AbrahamDUnity and nitrofurano like this.
  6. fherbst

fherbst

Totally agree with you that if this would happen it must be behind an option.

(@Baste, Regarding "editing the menu is a pain", to relieve that pain a bit - you can use e.g. CCleaner > Tools > Startup > Context Menu to remove stuff you don't want.)