Search Unity

[Feature request] Add search in dropdown menus

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by danbrani, Jun 13, 2018.

1. danbrani

danbrani

Selecting an item from dropdown is a huge hassle right now if there's many items in it. Especially if there's enough items to fill the screen vertically, in that case you have to scroll down until you find the desired option, and scrolling with a mouse wheel is not working, you need to find the little button at the bottom of the dropdown and keep it pressed until what you want appears on screen. This happens pretty often when items are generated by reflection, such as the script execution order dropdown. Even if the number of items is not great - it's much quicker to just type a couple letters to get a filtered result than to try to find the right value among many. Custom enumerations often reach this number of items.

There's also plenty of other controls that are paniful to use compared to what guys from sirenix came up with in the odin inspector plugin.

Is there any possibility of implementing chunks of what they've done in terms of UX to native unity? I think that the selection from dropdown has been lacking a search bar for far too long now.

2. Madgvox

Madgvox

You could certainly create a custom editor to provide that functionality for you. I don't use it myself so I can't confirm but the Odin Inspector asset is a pretty massive inspector overhaul and might include a feature like that already.

3. NoDumbQuestion

NoDumbQuestion

They do have it for assets with GameObject or Prefab

Madgvox likes this.