Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Feature Request] Add ability to retarget the install path for installs

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by JSenson, Jul 27, 2018.

1. JSenson

JSenson

Currently, if you rename the Unity.app file for an installed copy it gives the "Error launching application" error as expected but there's no way to update the 'Path' value for that install to point to the correct location.

I like to rename Unity.app to include the version number so I can see which versions are open in my dock with a quick mouse-over. The workaround i found to retarget the location is the following:

Rename the folder where the version is installed.
    Uninstall the version from in Unity Hub.
    Rename the folder back to what it was.
    Use 'Locate a Version' to re-add it back to the installed list.

This is obviously pretty obnoxious and you lose the option to uninstall copies that were added this way. I think it would be helpful to have an option to just reselect the path for an installed copy if it's been renamed/moved/lost somehow without having to uninstall and re-add the copy to the list.

Thanks.

2. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi @JSenson

It does seem unconventional to rename the actual Unity.app itself, although I do understand your motivation so the dock icon is more descriptive. Do you typically have multiple Editor running at the same time? We can add this as a feature request to our backlog and investigate a better way to show the specific version in the dock icon so renaming is no longer required.

We are also looking at improving the discovery of pre-installed versions of the Editor or installs that were not triggered directly via the Hub so the evaluation of the "locate a version" feature will be on par.

Thanks,
    Daniel