Search Unity

[feature] reference assets in folders (belonging to asset groups) withour extensions

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by nik_d, Jun 12, 2019.

1. nik_d

nik_d

premiss: loading screen textures make different people ))
    workaround: AddressableAssetEntry.cs GetRelativePath(...)

Code (CSharp):
    1.             //**addressables - asset addresses in folder without extension
    2.             var i = file.LastIndexOf('.');
    3.             if (i > 0) {
    4.                 file = file.Substring(0, i);
    5.             }

Brown2Fox likes this.
  2. unity_bill

unity_bill

If we did this, it would have to be an opt-in. We wouldn't want to force it to no-extension only. And we wouldn't want to default to having both available given the bloat to the content catalog.

3. nik_d

nik_d

I agree - it's controversial.

But can describe the way I came with it:
    * at first time with addressables I used "Simplify Entry Names" command a lot (it makes without extension)
    * it was easier to port a lot of Resources.Load() code (mostly without extension - especially for sprite/texture assets: png/jpg)
    * after switching to assets referencing via folders - decided to get rid extensions there

Customizable way in any case should win: custom name-to-address-method for the folder or just regular expression mapping. I don't see clearly - what is better. )

Brown2Fox likes this.
  4. unity_bill

unity_bill

I will add that we are planning to explore how assets in folders are dealt with in general over the coming months. There are a lot of items on this list (naming, extensions, labels, etc.).

Thanks for your input. We'll add this extension piece to the list to look at as we work on making folders easier to manage.

Brown2Fox and nik_d like this.