Search Unity

[Feature] Component download/install failures should be retry-able.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by MechEthan, Jul 26, 2018.

1. MechEthan

MechEthan

Hi Abraham,

It would be nice if there was a "smart" retry button that, if any number of Components of a new install failed to download correctly (interrupted, checksum mismatch, whatever), you could click Retry and it would retry only for the failed Components.

I imagine its already on your list, but mentioning anyway!

I should also mention that the error messages don't seem to be consistent for failed downloads of the same cause, depending on on the install scenario... to clarify:
    1. Download Unity 2017.4.8f1 attempt w/ Android + iOS components -- Unity + Android succeeded, but iOS download died early (status 3?) -- The popup error message was very cryptic, made me wonder if the entire thing failed even though only iOS component failed. (Can't remember it, sorry.)
      {"moduleName":"DownloadManager","level":"info","message":"download ended with status: 3 /var/folders/v9/7r812fc95lzb_kybwqyx03jr0000gn/T/unityhub-ab3f7c30-90f2-11e8-907a-b1098b04252d/Unity-2017.4.8f1.pkg","timestamp":"2018-07-26T16:45:29.733Z"}
      {"moduleName":"Download","level":"warn","message":"The checksum does not match for ios","timestamp":"2018-07-26T16:45:44.580Z"}
      {"moduleName":"Download","level":"info","message":"Editor download ended with error. Download id: 2017.4.8f1. Incomplete or corrupted download file: ios","timestamp":"2018-07-26T16:45:44.582Z"}

2. Download just iOS component via "Add Components" -- iOS download died early again (status 3?) -- The popup error message made more sense, it mentioned a checksum error.
      {"moduleName":"DownloadManager","level":"info","message":"download ended with status: 3 /var/folders/v9/7r812fc95lzb_kybwqyx03jr0000gn/T/unityhub-24a60480-90f4-11e8-907a-b1098b04252d/UnitySetup-iOS-Support-for-Editor-2017.4.8f1.pkg","timestamp":"2018-07-26T16:53:14.924Z"}
      {"moduleName":"Download","level":"warn","message":"The checksum does not match for ios","timestamp":"2018-07-26T16:53:16.888Z"}
      {"moduleName":"Download","level":"info","message":"Components download ended with error. Download id: 2017.4.8f1. All downloaded file(s) were incomplete or corrupted : ios","timestamp":"2018-07-26T16:53:16.888Z"}

3. 3rd download attempt for iOS succeeded. But, I'm still not sure why the downloads resulted in checksum errors. The only reason I know it got terminated early is because the iOS download is huge and I was watching the progress bar -- was it a timeout? a server reset connection?

2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi Ethan,

Sorry for the late response. It is indeed something we've been asked a few times (at least remembering the previous package selection). We will surely find an easier way to retry failed component downloads. I can't say any specific date for now but we'll have it handled at some point. Also for the errors downloading the components, it may be related to issues with our servers. I'm sorry if the messages aren't helping that much. We'll try to rectify this for more scenarios.

Thanks for the feedback!

MechEthan likes this.
  3. jason_yak

jason_yak

Hi there,

I've just been trialing hub and came across a similar issue, except with my issue I'd literally just had my net drop while it was downloading a Unity version and modules and gave no retry download option which the older Unity installers offer. I can't tell you the amount of times I've had to use this retry over the years. I work on the road a lot where wifi's can be unreliable, or even downloading Unity via a 3G connection which drops in and out, mobile data costs are obviously high no matter where you are, but if I have an emergency bug fix update to install often the retry download is a life saver. Even if I have to download half and then go find a more reliable wifi connection.

It's probably been requested also, it's not all that important I guess, but it would be nice if the download bar offered more insight into what's actually being downloaded like the older installers did (File 2 out 7, 0.5GB out of 1.4GB for example).

Thanks!

Jason

mvictorm and MechEthan like this.
  4. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi Jason,

As I said we will do our best to make retrying downloads less painful, but adding download information is still behind a few items in our list of priorities.

Best,

5. jason_yak

jason_yak

yea no worries, thanks for the reply... some positive feedback is that I really like the ability to associate a particular unity version and build target to a project. It's going to take a little getting used to after a decade of using unity that I have two apps open, hub and unity itself... there's just something odd and superfluous about having hub running while using Unity, it makes sense to have it running if you are a user that switches projects a lot though.. anyway, sorry this should be another thread topic - nevermind, keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing how the hub evolves.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  6. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the feedback! Your concern is absolutely valid and we are trying to make the Hub as non-intrusive and lightweight (at least when idle) as possible. That way keeping it running will be less of a problem.

7. mvictorm

mvictorm

Hi,
    I have tried to download for 5 days and it has been impossible for the same problem