Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Featherstone's solver for articulations

Discussion in 'Physics Previews' started by yant, Dec 11, 2019.

1. jselstad

jselstad

Thank you, kstorey.

I am using drives on the fingers (yields the best friction); I’m not sure the current Unity API allows for Articulation roots to be parented/constrained to other Rigidbodies or have spatial linear drives... yet... but luckily the Force/Torque solution I’m using works relatively well.

The new properties in 2020.1a23 should be very useful for suppressing solver instability. The physics timestep is currently running at 90hz, but increasing that may be another path towards improvement (since I’m able to sample interpolated hand tracking frames for each physics timestep as well).

Is there a plan for implementing “Rigidbody interpolation” for articulations, Yant? (It re-interpolates the motion of the objects from the physics timestep to the render timestep). If not, I’ll need to keep the simulation timestep as a multiple of the framerate to maintain smooth motion...

2. Kobix

Kobix

How to enable..? Are PhysX Articulations calculated on GPU?

3. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

This is not exposed yet in Unity, I'm afraid.

4. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

We don't have this ready yet -- as there are some architectural difficulties in how Joints were designed over a decade ago, but this is on the short-list to be addressed.

hippocoder likes this.
  5. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

No, we don't have a plan for interpolation yet.

Just wanted to voice this idea that we have this call Physics.Simulate(), which is useful to run the simulation once. The way you use it is disable the automatic simulation and then write a script that calls into Physics.Simulate() as required. That setup should allow easy integration for custom update schemes, including twice per frame. (as opposed to trying to match the required frequency per update by tweaking the global simulation frequency).

Hope that helps.

mvaandrager and jselstad like this.
  6. airnamics

airnamics

It's ok, new AMD processors have very high core count :)

7. airnamics

airnamics

Cool! That would make Unity much more universal.

Upgrading to new alpha version as we speak, might report soon about improvements.

yant likes this.
  8. zalo10

zalo10

So I made a simple test scene for spherical joints. ArticulationBug.gif

It looks like there's a bug in the way that the X, Y, and Z drives work together... I suspect there's a wrongly-ordered quaternion multiplication somewhere.

Here's the code and scene I'm using:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. public class ArticulationTest : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     public ArticulationBody body;
    4.     void FixedUpdate() {
    5.         // Normalize Quaternion to suppress greater than 360 degree rotations
    6.         Quaternion normalizedRotation = Quaternion.Normalize(transform.rotation);
    8.         // Calculate drive targets
    9.         Vector3 driveTarget = new Vector3(
    10.           Mathf.DeltaAngle(0, normalizedRotation.eulerAngles.x),
    11.           Mathf.DeltaAngle(0, normalizedRotation.eulerAngles.y),
    12.           Mathf.DeltaAngle(0, normalizedRotation.eulerAngles.z));
    14.         // Copy the X, Y, and Z target values into the drives...
    15.         ArticulationDrive xDrive = body.xDrive; xDrive.target = driveTarget.x; body.xDrive = xDrive;
    16.         ArticulationDrive yDrive = body.yDrive; yDrive.target = driveTarget.y; body.yDrive = yDrive;
    17.         ArticulationDrive zDrive = body.zDrive; zDrive.target = driveTarget.z; body.zDrive = zDrive;
    18.     }
    19. }

Attached Files:

Fressbrett likes this.
  9. zalo10

zalo10

After some trial-and-error, drive code without any singularities looks like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class ArticulationTest : MonoBehaviour {
    4.     public ArticulationBody body;
    5.     public float Strength = 1f;
    6.     void FixedUpdate() {
    7.         // Calculate the delta between the current rotation and the desired rotation
    8.         Quaternion deltaRotation = Quaternion.Normalize(Quaternion.Inverse(body.transform.localRotation) * transform.rotation);
    10.         // Calculate drive velocity necessary to undo this delta in one fixed timestep
    11.         ArticulationReducedSpace driveTargetForce = new ArticulationReducedSpace(
    12.           ((Mathf.DeltaAngle(0, deltaRotation.eulerAngles.x) * Mathf.Deg2Rad) / Time.fixedDeltaTime) * Strength,
    13.           ((Mathf.DeltaAngle(0, deltaRotation.eulerAngles.y) * Mathf.Deg2Rad) / Time.fixedDeltaTime) * Strength,
    14.           ((Mathf.DeltaAngle(0, deltaRotation.eulerAngles.z) * Mathf.Deg2Rad) / Time.fixedDeltaTime) * Strength);
    16.         // Apply the force in local space (unlike AddTorque which is global space)
    17.         // Ideally we'd use inverse dynamics or jointVelocity, but jointVelocity is bugged in 2020.1a22
    18.         body.jointForce = driveTargetForce;
    19.     }
    20. }
    I assume this can be substituted in for the existing xDrive, yDrive, and zDrive code in the engine. The bug probably comes from one of two places...

1. You can't just reconstruct the body's orientation from the reducedCoordinate joint positions (it's unclear why not, probably a different ordering in which x, y, and z are applied):

Code (CSharp):
    1.         // This will give you the incorrect orientation
    2.         Quaternion jointRotation = Quaternion.Euler(
    3.             body.jointPosition[0] * Mathf.Rad2Deg,
    4.             body.jointPosition[1] * Mathf.Rad2Deg,
    5.             body.jointPosition[2] * Mathf.Rad2Deg);
    2. It's possible the ordering of the quaternion multiply in line 8 above is reversed; I see similar unstable behavior in my code when I intentionally reverse the order...

EDIT: It looks like setting the jointVelocity directly is bugged for any of the joints further down the kinematic chain... Looks like another bug...

EDIT 2: Setting jointForce has a similar effect, but it propagates down the chain properly. Please fix jointVelocity!

EDIT 3: Colliders that are children of the articulation do not appear to be detected by the articulation's joints... Do they need to be fixed joint articulations?

EDIT 4: Fixed Joint articulation children do not appear to be incorporated properly either... Looks like I'm not going to be able to weasel out of some deep quaternion management if I want oriented colliders in my articulations...

EDIT 5: Setting jointForce on a branching articulation (eg a humanoid) hard-crashes the editor :(

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    frosted and CodeKiwi like this.
  10. airnamics

airnamics

Hey, try to have at least one collider on every Articulation, with non-zero weight. It can be very small sphere, I think that helped me in the past.

mvaandrager likes this.
  11. zalo10

zalo10

Thank you, I did try that, but only the rotary joint's small, centered collider affected the inertia of the system appropriately. :(

12. airnamics

airnamics

Btw, I noticed new alpha is out:

yant likes this.
  13. zalo10

zalo10

Unfortunately I wasn't able to use the maxAngularVelocity or maxDepenetrationVelocities to achieve any additional stability with respect to spherical joints... (and setting jointVelocity still crashes :( ).

14. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

The fix for crash when accessing jointPosition/jointVelocity is en route trunk as we speak. I'll post here when I have dates for a 20.1 build. Thanks.

sohojoe and airnamics like this.
  15. Kobix

Kobix

Hey yant, how hard it would it be to get other friction types working? It's not urgent right now, but I believe it will come handy with gripper physics.

16. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

For those following the latest alphas - the fix has just been merged into 20.2a1. I'm working on back-port as we speak.

17. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

Merged into 2020.1b1.

hippocoder likes this.
  18. tri-quad

tri-quad

Just started messing with Articulations in 2020.1.0a25 today, super fun! I setup a simple object with a few revolute joints and I'm trying to create motor-ish controls for the joints for some RL experiments I want to run -- I've got it working, but some of the behavior isn't quite what I'd expect. Here's my test controller:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class RevoluteController : MonoBehaviour {
    2.     public Vector3 torque = Vector3.forward * 5.0f;
    3.     void FixedUpdate() {
    4.         // Set torque to be applied based on state of F and G keys
    5.         if (!Input.GetKey(KeyCode.F) && !Input.GetKey(KeyCode.G)) { return; }
    6.         Vector3 tt = torque * Time.deltaTime * 100.0f;
    7.         if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.G)) { tt *= -1.0f; }
    9.         // Apply torque to children
    10.         Vector3 antiTorque = Vector3.zero;
    11.         foreach (Transform child in transform) {
    12.             child.gameObject.GetComponent<ArticulationBody>().AddRelativeTorque(tt);
    13.             antiTorque -= child.localToWorldMatrix.MultiplyVector(tt);
    14.         }
    16.         // Apply inverse torque to this object
    17.         gameObject.GetComponent<ArticulationBody>().AddTorque(antiTorque);
    18.     }
    19. }
    Without applying the inverse torque to the parent, pressing F/G keys will spin the whole object even when the children have reached limits; with the inverse torque applied, angular moment seems to be conserved. The issue I'm running into is that non-angular momentum is *not* conserved -- the object can jump into the air (expected) and then start flying around in different directions as I toggle the F and G keys (not expected!).

I spent a little bit of time trying to figure out how to use jointForce for the antiTorque instead of naively using the applied torque as it will cause weird behavior if the applied torque isn't perfectly aligned with the unconstrained axis, but couldn't figure out how to convert jointForce to a local or world vector.

I then tried to switch to a drive-based approach, but couldn't figure out how to get my controller to set the xDrive target. This...

Code (CSharp):
    1.         foreach (Transform child in transform) {
    2.             ArticulationBody ab = child.gameObject.GetComponent<ArticulationBody>();
    3.             ArticulationDrive ad = ab.xDrive;
    4.             ad.target = targetRotation;
    5.         }
    ...does not seem to be updating the drive target. Meanwhile, this...

Code (CSharp):
    1.         foreach (Transform child in transform) {
    2.             ArticulationBody ab = child.gameObject.GetComponent<ArticulationBody>();
    3.             ab.xDrive.target = targetRotation;
    4.         }
    ...gives a compile error: "error CS1612: Cannot modify the return value of 'ArticulationBody.xDrive' because it is not a variable"

So a few questions:
    1. How can I simulate a motor and apply torque in a way that does not affect the momentum of the Articulation object?
    2. How can I convert jointForce to a vector in local or world space?
    3. What's the best way to update an ArticulationBody drive target from a script?
    4. Am I going about this all wrong?
    Thanks!

19. CodeKiwi

CodeKiwi

ArticulationDrive is a struct, try:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. foreach (Transform child in transform) {
    2.     ArticulationBody ab = child.gameObject.GetComponent<ArticulationBody>();
    3.     ArticulationDrive ad = ab.xDrive;
    4.     ad.target = targetRotation;
    5.     ab.xDrive = ad;
    6. }

tri-quad and Kobix like this.
  20. airnamics

airnamics

@tri-quad
    Yep, what CodeKiwi said.
    Structs are copied every time, classes are not. Modifying struct in one place does not reflect changes in other places. :)

21. Andresmonte

Andresmonte

hello, is there a way to lock the tip of an articulation tree (position and rotation). For example the tip of a rope that's gets stuck in a branch; Or a robotic arm trying to lift something that is fixed in world space, so it gets stuck.

22. Kobix

Kobix

Anyone has problems with Articulated bodies drifting over time?

No, not yet. Supposedly Articulations with Joints will be coming soon.

Andresmonte likes this.
  23. Kobix

Kobix

Ok, I have my robot on wheels; and I found out if the root articulation has bigger mass, the more it drifts. Otherwise,if I set bigger mass onto my wheels, the drifting stops.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  24. Edy

Edy

How have you put the articulation on wheels?

25. airnamics

airnamics

It's caster wheel.

SphereCollider - Revolute Articulation (wheel axis) - Revolute Articulation (caster axis) - Prismatic Articulation (a bit of spring/damping) - Root Body.

I have 4 of those those.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    yant and Edy like this.
  26. airnamics

airnamics

Any chance for other friction models?

27. Edy

Edy

28. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

airnamics and hippocoder like this.
  29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't know if this is a thing but when I was rigging a ragdoll with it I noticed that adding and deleting articulations on random parent/child objects crashed Unity 2020.1 b4 fairly often. Perhaps it's the code that checks the hierarchy is at fault and does not recognise a removed body, feels like that sort of thing.

It only happens with articulations.

A little feedback: I love the unified body/joint concept, and the easy relationship in the hierarchy. Sometimes you need strong joints on things that are actually also physics objects such as car doors. What is the advice here? Should I teleport the door every fixed update to match the car body position?

Edy likes this.
  30. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

Yes, aware of that. We've taken time to solve what we think was the root of that, covered it with plenty of tests. This change is now being reviewed and verified for trunk right as we speak. Back-ports will follow on.

hippocoder likes this.
  31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thank you for your work, I'm very impressed by how powerful and usable the integration is coming along!

yant likes this.
  32. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

This sounds like the only option right now, but I'm working on being able to connect articulations to normal rigidbodies with a good old iterative joint, so maybe a FixedJoint to link the articulation door to the car body will do here.

airnamics, hippocoder and Edy like this.
  33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

When the door in this scenario is hit, will forces propagate to the rest of the regular rigidbodies that are connected?

If not I can always apply a force at position for the the other bodies, but I thought I would ask.

34. airnamics

airnamics

Of course it helps a ton, thanks!

35. airnamics

airnamics

Happy to hear this articulation & old joint is WIP, it opens more doors for robotics.

36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I was thinking of robust joints for VR stuff really. Also ragdoll too!

37. airnamics

airnamics

Thanks. Patch friction only works with Articulations, all others crash the Unity. This is why I asked.

Didn't knew there were even more options - I welcome all of them, since I am noticing the un-realism in my case too.

Edy likes this.
  38. JesperSmith

JesperSmith

Thank you for this functionality. We're working towards simulating our humanoid robot in Unity (to have much higher fidelity cameras than other physics engines).

A major part of getting our controller running with Unity is to simulate an IMU (inertial measurement unit). For this we need orientation, angular velocity and linear acceleration. Orientation and angular velocities are easy, but is there any way to expose the linear acceleration? Differentiating the linear velocity could add noise to the measurement and it is not ideal.

Also, am I correct that the jointForce and drive output is additive? Our controller is force-based and calculates joint torques directly.

39. JesperSmith

JesperSmith

We would like to use the same model for simulation and visualization of external data, therefore we have a need to disable/enable the articulation bodies (in the editor, not at runtime).

When playing with disabling articulation bodies I found some small issues

- Disabling ArticulationBodies not starting from the leaf results in a PhysX error (cannot disable non-leaf bodies)
    - After disabling all ArticulationBodies from the leaf to the root, disabling the root results in a hard Unity crash when selecting a child node.

To avoid this, I created a helper script that stores all properties of the joint/link and then removes the ArticulationBody if I do not need physics.

Again, thanks for this feature. This really pushes forward our plan to create a Unity based simulator for our robot.

40. tjmaul

tjmaul

hey there,

I suspect ArticulationBodies also use colliders attached to disabled GameObjects to calculate inertia. I'm not sure if this is the intended behaviour, but it seems like it's different from the behaviour of regular Rigidbodies.

In my case, I have objects with colliders that are used for regular collisions (convex mesh colliders) but also non-convex mesh colliders that I just want to use for selecting parts of the object in game, so they are only used for Raycasts. Those mesh colliders are not only non-convex, but also don't form a volume (for example just a single triangle). When I attach an ArticulationBody to the described game object, I get the following errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [Physics.PhysX] computeMassAndInertia: Dynamic actor with illegal collision shapes
    2. [Physics.PhysX] PxRigidBodyExt::setMassAndUpdateInertia: Mass and inertia computation failed, setting mass to 1 and inertia to (1,1,1)
    Those errors do not appear when Rigidbodies are added. Would it be possible to change the behaviour to either silently not to take degenerate colliders into account or not to use colliders that are attached to disabled game objects?

41. Vilmantas

Vilmantas

Unity Technologies

Hey,

regarding problems with activation/deactivation of articulation game objects, enable/disable articulation components and similar activities, crashes and other issues are fixed and will be shipped in Unity 2020.1 beta 8.

Kind regards,
    Vilmantas

airnamics and tjmaul like this.
  42. airnamics

airnamics

Glad to hear that :).

43. tjmaul

tjmaul

Just tested 2020.1b8 and seems like it works now. Thanks a bunch!

airnamics likes this.
  44. JesperSmith

JesperSmith

I see a major overhead in querying ArticulationBody.jointPosition and ArticulationBody.jointVelocity. (taking about 0.2ms for 23 joints)

We are running a humanoid robot controller @ 1KHz fixedUpdate rate (this is the same as on the real robot and required for a stable sim). Running the controller in a separate thread, we can get 0.8x realtime rate. However, if we do not poll the joint position/velocity we can get 1x realtime rate (although it'll fall of course).

Is there a possibility to speed up polling these values?

45. niccarey

niccarey

@JesperSmith did you ever manage to answer this question
    "Also, am I correct that the jointForce and drive output is additive? Our controller is force-based and calculates joint torques directly."

I would like to implement a force-based controller on a simulated robot, but I'm unclear on how this could be deployed without conflicts with ArticulationDrive

46. zalo10

zalo10

Bug: When you raycast against an ArticulationBody, the resulting RayCastHit will have a non-null rigidbody field (even though ArticulationBody's don't inherit from Rigidbody). If you try to access any of the properties on the rigidbody, it crashes the editor!

47. newlife

newlife

Hello @yant, I just made a quick test with articulationBody and indeed its a step forward, especially for a full physic vehicle (vehicle with actual rotating wheels). Btw, I found two issues:
    1) maxAngVelo seems to be capped to 100 rads/sec no matter what.
    2) PGS solver seems more stable than TGS solver at high angVelo

Also, is there a way to obtain the collision impulse like with regular rigidbody/collider?

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  48. sohojoe

sohojoe

@yant I'm noticing some performance issues when increasing time.fixedTimestep to address stabilities issues.

Is there anything you recommend either to increase stability at lower frequencies or to improve performance?

I did not see the same performance hit when I was using ConfiguabeJoints and scaling up to even higher frequencies.

One thing to note is that I keep the update to the joint a constant 30 fps regardless of how much I scale fixedTimestep. With ConfiguabeJoints, I noticed a performance hit if I updated the joint at every physics step. Therefore, I suspect that ArticulationBody applies forces to the underlying physics objects at each step, and that this is why I see the impact on performance.

To put in context, I could train my ConfiguabeJoint agent for 128m steps in 10hrs. With ArticulationBody it is taking about 30hrs (so 3x)

- foot goes through the floor when time.fixedUpdate = 1/60

is much more stable when time.fixedUpdate = 1/150

49. sohojoe

sohojoe

I did some more tests - in the video, I trained the model with the physics running at 50fps.

From 0-16s the physics is running at 150fps, from 16s I run the physics at 60fps (normal speed and slow mo) - the way the leg goes through the floor looks more like a bug. I tested with a plane and with terrain and get the same problem with both

50. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

Yes, this is getting addressed as we speak. There will be a batch API for 2020.2 that allows obtaining everything in just one go. We'll also take a look at speeding up what we have in 2020.1. Thanks for reporting.

JesperSmith likes this.