Search Unity

Feasibility of VR File System Navigation?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Student4Life, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Student4Life

Student4Life

For a long time I'm thought about 3D file systems, like the famous scene in the film 'Jurassic Park' (1993).
    See attached image (and really cool YouTube clip)

I've seen a few attempts at this type of '3D file system map' but none have quite mirrored my vision.

I'm looking for a way to bring in various files and hyperlinks, and automatically convert them to 'grab'able cubes or objects for placement. Almost like a 'physical bookmark', virtually.

Imagine your 'to do list' is linked to baseball sized sphere, positioned somewhere around you (in front, above, to your right / left etc). You hold gaze on that object or select with a touch controller / pointer, and it loads for you. So it's like a 'book marked file system using hotlinks to files /documents / email feeds etc'. Ie. You know your email monitor is to your left.. Your music plalist is to your right.. Your calendar is above your head.

Like an airline cock pit, but with a bunch of hot links to files that load files and / or interfaces.

Does anyone have a suggestions on the feasibility of this? Would it best done by code from scratch, or with premade Unity VR plugins?

Does anyone know of something similar?
    What would be the biggest challenge?

Thanks so much for any suggestions. If I develop this tool I will give it away.

Attached Files:

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's a neat idea, and something I've thought about too. But your approach of thinking of it like an airline cockpit (rather than a space you move around in) is new to me.

I wouldn't use any plugins for this. Just start coding!

But please, no "hold gaze" — ugh. That's the worst. Use a pointer. Even Oculus Go has that (and I don't see people using phone-based VR much anymore, since the Go is so good and so cheap).

gjf likes this.
  3. MrMatthias

MrMatthias

The biggest challenge is probably the usability. What problem are you trying to solve?
    You don't want to just make it 3d for the sake of being 3d, what are the benefits how can you exploit them? Have a look at the research out there.