Search Unity

.FBX UV unwrap with Probuilder?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Antonyvw, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Antonyvw

Antonyvw

Hi folk. Excuse a complete newbee asking questions which have probably already been done to the death. I want to know if its possible to use probuilder to add a texture to an imported model in say .fbx format? I know I can add it in blender for instance but having had a quick peek at probuilder I was wondering if it was capable of uv unwrapping said model and applying the texture.
    Ive built a model in blender and imported it without problem - and without any textures, but when I try to add a texture to a simple plane (not using probuilder), all Im getting is a base colour not the actual texture. I noted from one of the tutorial videos that a probuilder model can be exported to blender etc so is it possible to go the other way around?

2. calpolican

calpolican

Yes, you can use probuilder to make the UVs. You can grub any imported geometry and use "Probuilderize". This'll give pro builder all the info to treat it as its own. You can then open the Pro Builder UV editor. It has some auto features, probably you should pick the faces and use "Reset UVs" and then> "group the selected UVs". Though, I'm pretty sure that it would be much easier to just make it in Blender. I'm guessing the reason why you're not seeing the UVs in unity is, you just haven't made the UVs in Blender, period. You should search some blender tutorial on youtube, Blender is definetley better for the job. Do the UVs in blender, check how the texture look there, export your mesh to .fbx and you'll see them there.

R1S3R likes this.
  3. Antonyvw

Antonyvw

Thanks Calpolican. Its good to know that I can use Probuild on the mesh after importing it. As to the blender mesh not having the UV to begin with that is true. However with some experimenting Ive found that although version 2.79 does as I described in the op, anything built in 2.8 does not have the same problem. Ive since imported a mesh made in 2.8 and it accepts materials/textures in Unity with a lot less of a problem. I wont say its error free as I do have one hiccup with some of the textures. In that, for instance, a brick wall texture is going vertical rather than horizontal. Not sure if there is a way to solve that directly in Unity as I see no controls to rotate the texture. But then that's what learning a new subject is all about. Finding out what works and what doesn't.

4. calpolican

calpolican

You have to understand that is not the texture what you'd be rotating: is the UVs! UVs are like the model coordinates for the texture placement. It basically tells the computer what part of the texture should cover wich part of the model. If you want to move forward, you must look in youtube and learn what UVs are, otherwise you seem like a blind person lost in a forest.
    For the record: yes, you can go to blender and just rotate the UVs in its UV layout editor 90 degrees and solve it. Always check how it looks with your texture in there, that'll probably help you understand what UVs are and will assure you that you have what you wanted. But you can indeed, also do it in probuilder inside unity. In both places is a pretty easy thing to do, just a couple of clicks.