Search Unity

Fbx object sizing and orientation upon import

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Dano, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Dano

Dano

Hi

I'm importing a fbx tree object into Unity, which works fine. I'm then trying to use 'place trees' option on the terrain to position them around my scene.

When I'm doing this though the tree is massive compared to the rest of the scene and also is at the wrong angle, its flat rather than pointing upwards.

I'm guessing there is somewhere I adjust these, but can't find it, anyone help?

It sounds like this post is the same thing,
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=22919

Anyone know of plans to change this?

Thanks

2. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Drag the fbx of the tree into the scene.

It should look out of scale and rotated wrong. Use the import settings to get the scale right (usually 0.01).

Rotate the tree until it is pointing up.

Create a prefab for the tree. Drag the tree into the new prefab. Use that prefab in your terrain editor instead of the raw tree fbx object.

3. Tysoe

Tysoe

it depends on the tool your using. I found that in max if you set units to generic, and system units to 1 unit = 1 meter then the scale in max matches unity's when unity fbx is set to 1.0.

This can be useful since it means if your making tiled meshes for building your level like I am, creating tiles of 2x2 and 4x4 in max snap perfectly to a unity grid of 2 units, so everything fits perfectly.

4. Dano

Dano

thanks that sorted the first issue!...trouble is now all though my prefab object is the correct size etc, when I create it as a tree its still really scaled up and far to big.

I'm pretty sure I have tried changing all the tree settings, but still have the same issue

Any ideas?

5. andeeeee

andeeeee

A useful little trick is to make the mesh object the child of another empty object. You can then rotate and scale the child object however you like and also move the anchor point relative to the parent. This is a good way to fix scaling and axis alighment issues and also to move the anchor if it happens to be in an unfavourable place.

6. Dano

Dano

Thanks for the tips, pretty much got there now, using Cinema4d to tweak the model.

Just one final question, when the object is imported, what determines its x,y,z position? does that come from the import or is it set by unity?

Its a flower object and the stem is always showing slightly below the terrian, could do with making it appear higher for use with the place tree option....