Search Unity

Bug fbx importer broken to the point of complete unusability

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by ebaender, Nov 30, 2021.

1. ebaender

ebaender

so for some reason i can no longer import materials with embedded textures from any fbx. the materials still shows up, but they no longer have a diffuse texture.

i already reinstalled everything from the latest stable editor version, the hub and even blender just to be sure, but it doesn't make any difference. no more materials at all, only models with external legacy materials still work.

i also tried copying over a ton of models that have been working for years in my other unity projects where i am one hundred percent sure that the textures were embedded in the fbx, but they also just show up as empty white materials with no texture. i also made sure the textures are embedded in an external model viewer, its definitely unity at fault here.

i don't even understand how this is possible, it's broken across all available editor versions, it's the exact same in 2021 und the 2022 alpha.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  2. bastien_humeau

bastien_humeau

Unity Technologies

Hi, could you report a bug with your fbx file?
    What I can tell is that our importer code has never imported embedded textures. You always had to export them first in a folder in your project (ideally the same folder as the .fbx file using them, or a subfolder named Textures) and they will be picked up by the importer when creating the materials.
    If they are embedded in the fbx file, you have to go to the Material panel and click the Extract Textures button to add them to your project so the importer can re-import using them.
    If the textures are not extracted or the names set in the FBX material properties do not match the textures name in your project, then they will be ignored and the Materials will not use them.

ebaender likes this.
  3. Masashi-Wada

Masashi-Wada