Search Unity

Fbx import settings null reference exception?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MikkoK-HS, Oct 22, 2018.

1. MikkoK-HS

MikkoK-HS

I just installed Unity version 2018.2, started a fresh project and tried importing a few fbx files. When I click on one in the project view and go to the Materials tab of the fbx import settings I get a load of the following error message and none of the material options appear except for the import materials checkbox:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.PropertyHandler.OnGUILayout (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, Boolean includeChildren, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ScriptAttributeGUI/PropertyHandler.cs:203)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, Boolean includeChildren, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:8791)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:8780)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterMaterialEditor.DoMaterialsGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/ModelImporterMaterialEditor.cs:364)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterMaterialEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/ModelImporterMaterialEditor.cs:162)
    UnityEditor.AssetImporterTabbedEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/TabbedEditor.cs:147)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1367)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

This happens when the import materials checkbox is ticked. If I untick it the error doesn't appear. What's causing this?

2. wertymk

wertymk

Seems like a bug in Unity. Downgrading from version 2018.2.13f1 to 2018.2.12f1 fixed the problem.

3. SchneiderHiQ

SchneiderHiQ

Same thing in a totally blank project on clean installation, submitted a bug report;
    (Case 1093684) Material tab of FBX importer throws null reference exception and does not show all intended settings

4. sd_zeus

sd_zeus

I have the same Issue too! I am using the Unity 2018.2.13f1.

5. hyurizahard

hyurizahard

i got this problem too, is the only way to fix it with downgrade ?

6. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

It seems to be the only option until they release an update or patch.

7. dgoyette

dgoyette

I just downloaded 2018.2.14, having run into this bug in 2018.2.13, and thankfully it's fixed in .14.

Vectorbox likes this.
  8. phigegner

phigegner

Just got the same behaviour with version 2018.2.15 ...
    Downgrading to 2018.2.14 fixed it for me..

9. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

I was seeing this problem importing SketchUp files in 2018.2.15. Problem is gone in 2018.3.0f2.