Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question FBX-Import results in wrong Deformation Order

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SebastianSo, Oct 20, 2022.

1. SebastianSo

SebastianSo

Hello Unity-Forum!

In Maya 2022.4 I have a rigged model that is animated.
    Also a Blendshape for this model is created and animated to fix some surface issues.
    So I got a model that combines a skin-animation with a blendshape-animation.
    The "List of input operations" shows the right order for those animations, first blendshape, then skin:

Now I want to export this combined animation to fbx.
    But the import in Unity result is deformed.
    Importing the fbx to maya again shows, that the "List of input operations" order is wrong:

I can change in Maya the order again and it works!
    But I can not do this in Unity, can I?

So my question is,
    how can I export the combined Skins- and Blendshape-Animation the right way,
    so the order of "List of input operations" is saved?
    Is this even possible or is my export-routine completely wrong?

Thx for your help!

Sebastian

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

It looks like you have the special Zombie Adaptor mode going!!

How are you exporting these, as Maya files or as FBX?

Have you tried collapsing all that and exporting as FBX?

3. SebastianSo

SebastianSo

I simplified the problem to analyze it more.
    It starts with a simple cylinder that has a simple rig for bending:
    upload_2022-10-21_10-7-30.png

So after I bend this cylinder, I get unwanted penetrations:
    upload_2022-10-21_10-9-13.png

The idea is now, to duplicate the cylinder at this skin-animated position and to create a corrective Blendshape.
    So it looks like this, which is also my goal:
    upload_2022-10-21_10-37-17.png

So in Maya this animation works, as long as the deformer order is set right.
    This is the wrong order:
    upload_2022-10-21_10-13-44.png

I now want to export this animation with the right deformer order to Unity as fbx.
    But I am not sure, if this is even possible or if this is a Maya-only feature...
    Has the fbx-specification a "deformer-order" feature? Or is this something, only the application that imports the fbx has to handle (like here Maya and hopefully also Unity...)

I think the problem is, that the blendshape is created from the rest-pose (pic 1) and not the already skin-animated pose (pic 2). Because in Unity the blendshape starts with the rest-pose of the cylinder and ends in the goal position (but of course wrong animated inbetween without the skin animation).
    So in Unity the blendshape and skin animation are being added up, what results in this extreme "over movement" as seen in the last pic...

I hope I have explained the problem more clearly. Example-Maya-File is being attached.
    If this is a totally wrong workflow, do you have any other idea, how to fix any penetrations while a skin-animation is done? FBX is a requirement. FBX only supports skin- and blendshape-Deformers as far as I know.

Thanks,
    Sebastian

Attached Files:

• 4.zip
      File size:
      24.8 KB
      Views:
  4. SebastianSo

SebastianSo

I think the problem is, that the corrective blendshape is made based on the already animated skin-deformation.
    The blendshape needs to be done on the base-position.
    This tool helped me, to create a blendshape on the animated skin-deformation with extracting the delta to the base-position: extractDeltas by brave rabbit