Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question FBX Exporter Retain Quads

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools Previews' started by calpolican, Jan 21, 2022.

1. calpolican

calpolican

Hi, the FBX exporter is exporting quad meshes into tris. There's no option to export to quads.
    For me, this is a huge limitation, as tris can't be modeled properly. I'd have to reconvert to quads, wich most software do poorly. Keeping the FBX exporter like this, heavily limits the capability of going back and forth for modelling purposes... wich is probably the main reason why people would use this tool in the first place.
    Thanks,

2. vkovec

vkovec

Unity Developer - FBX Exporter

Hi @calpolican, the exporter should automatically be retaining quads if the original mesh topology includes quads. In Unity you may need to check the "Keep Quads" option in the importer in order for the mesh to import with quads instead of triangles, I think it is off by default. If this does not help, it is likely a bug, can you please log it with the Unity bug reporter (in Unity Help > Report a bug... menu) , including the original mesh with quads if possible.

upload_2022-2-1_10-48-28.png

calpolican likes this.
  3. calpolican

calpolican

Thanks, I couldn't find the "keep Quads" option. That solves the issue.

vkovec likes this.