Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct here to familiarize yourself with the rules and how to post constructively.

2. Unity 2022.1 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your project's performance with our new guide on profiling in Unity.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted FBX Exporter: Binary export doesn't work via editor scripting

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Peter77, May 23, 2021.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I use your Unity FBX Exporter 4.0.1 package and I have to export objects via scripting, like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UnityEditor;
    6. class TestCode
    7. {
    8.     [MenuItem("BugReport/Export selected GameObject as FBX")]
    9.     static void DoMenuItem()
    10.     {
    11.         UnityEditor.Formats.Fbx.Exporter.ModelExporter.ExportObject("Assets/MyExport.fbx", Selection.activeGameObject);
    12.         UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.Refresh();
    13.     }
    14. }
    However, the exported FBX file is in ASCII format always. The
    Export Format
    settings under
    Project Settings > Fbx Export
    don't affect the exported format.

upload_2021-5-23_15-23-53.png

Right-clicking the object in the Hierarchy and choosing
    Export to FBX...
    actually does export the file in binary. I looked through the FBX Exporter code and you pass an additional
    SettingsObject
    to the
    ExportObjects
    method.

All of this functionality is internal only. Please make the API public instead, I need to export objects via editor-scripting. The reason why I need to export binary is that the ASCII format is just too big, the mesh export is 150MB, which isn't great for import times in the editor and version control.

I also submitted a bug-report for you:
    (Case 1338169) 2019.4: FBX Exporter: Export Binary not working
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...script-and-the-export-format-is-set-to-binary

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  2. unity_GhCCjBkYeYN1eQ

unity_GhCCjBkYeYN1eQ

Same here, did you find a fix?

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity QA was able to reproduce the issue and provided the following workaround, here is their reply:
    PS: I don't use the workaround.

4. LemonLube

LemonLube

Also ran into this problem and cannot use source code edit workaround. Here's a dumb as hell, reflection workaround!

Code (CSharp):
    1. private static void ExportBinaryFBX (string filePath, UnityEngine.Object singleObject)
    2.     {
    3.         // Find relevant internal types in Unity.Formats.Fbx.Editor assembly
    4.         Type[] types = AppDomain.CurrentDomain.GetAssemblies().First(x => x.FullName == "Unity.Formats.Fbx.Editor, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null").GetTypes();
    5.         Type optionsInterfaceType = types.First(x => x.Name == "IExportOptions");
    6.         Type optionsType = types.First(x => x.Name == "ExportOptionsSettingsSerializeBase");
    8.         // Instantiate a settings object instance
    9.         MethodInfo optionsProperty = typeof(ModelExporter).GetProperty("DefaultOptions", BindingFlags.Static | BindingFlags.NonPublic).GetGetMethod(true);
    10.         object optionsInstance = optionsProperty.Invoke(null, null);
    12.         // Change the export setting from ASCII to binary
    13.         FieldInfo exportFormatField = optionsType.GetField("exportFormat", BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic);
    14.         exportFormatField.SetValue(optionsInstance, 1);
    16.         // Invoke the ExportObject method with the settings param
    17.         MethodInfo exportObjectMethod = typeof(ModelExporter).GetMethod("ExportObject", BindingFlags.Static | BindingFlags.NonPublic, Type.DefaultBinder, new Type[] { typeof(string), typeof(UnityEngine.Object), optionsInterfaceType }, null);
    18.         exportObjectMethod.Invoke(null, new object[] { filePath, singleObject, optionsInstance });
    19.     }

5. GlobalAdminShiftPixy

GlobalAdminShiftPixy

So - this is a work-around to the work around if you want to avoid reflection.

Download the https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.formats.fbx and set this up in your packages folder and import the tar.
    Open Packages\com.unity.formats.fbx folder in IDE of choice
    Find and replace all [internal ] with [public ]*do not include [] **Include the space at the end so you don't replace anything prefaced with internal
    Now you can use:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var exportOptions = new ExportModelSettingsSerialize();
    2. exportOptions.SetPreserveImportSettings(true);
    3. ModelExporter.ExportObject(filename, cube, exportOptions);
    1. var exportOptions = new ExportModelSettingsSerialize();
    2. exportOptions.SetPreserveImportSettings(true);
    3. ModelExporter.ExportObject(filename, cube, exportOptions);

unityunity