Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug FBX Exporter and Object Visibility

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by fherbst, Apr 9, 2021.

1. fherbst

fherbst

This is a long-standing issue so I want to bring it up again.

FBX Exporter is now out of preview, but still doesn't respect object state - all disabled objects are simply exported as active.
    When will this be fixed? What's the issue here? Why is there no option for it?

For reference, this issue I reported in 2019 (!) in version 2 is still open and active:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...respected-when-game-object-is-exported-as-fbx

Also, I think FBX Exporter still does not respect and remember the state of export settings, forgetting them on every single project open...

2. vkovec

vkovec

Unity Developer - FBX Exporter

Hi @fherbst ,

Unfortunately we don’t support visibility export and we don’t currently have plans to change this. The issue is that different DCCs handle visibility differently and therefore visibility cannot be reliably roundtripped.
    For example, in Maya inherited visibility seems to always be treated as true, which can give discrepancies.
    Additionally when coming back to Unity, visibility is currently always imported as the disabling of the Mesh Renderer instead of the GameObject.
    Therefore it is not clear what the result should be when the GameObject is disabled, and regardless of how visibility is exported, it is likely to give an unexpected result when imported in either Unity or other DCCs.

It should now be possible to have export settings that persist between Unity sessions by modifying them in the Project Settings (Edit > Project Settings... > Fbx Export > Export Options).

See here for more details on the latest FBX export settings.

Please let me know or log a bug from Unity (Help > Report a Bug...) if this is not working for you.

Best,
    Viktoria

3. fherbst

fherbst

Hey @vkovec, I understand the roundtrip issues however I fully disagree with the notion that this is somehow "impossible". At least make it an option. Right now, not even roundtrip inside Unity works, which I find hilarious.
    If you feel there needs to be an additional export option for people go for it, but at least the perception of the object should be preserved when exporting and importing again.

Are you not unit testing the FBX exporter within Unity? Are you simply ignoring all cases where some object is disabled? I would be totally fine if the result of "disabled GameObject, export, import" is "disabled MeshRenderer", at least then the object isn't perceived incorrectly.

4. Nintenjo64

Nintenjo64

I would settle for an option to 'Don't export disabled GameObjects' as when exporting a large scene i don't want to go through and manually select all enabled game objects when exporting.. i just want to grab a parent and export all its children.

5. vkovec

vkovec

Unity Developer - FBX Exporter

Hi @Nintenjo64, thank you will add a feature request for this option