Search Unity

FBX exported from Maya has jerky animations when imported into Unity

Discussion in 'Animation' started by katnyan, Dec 14, 2017.

1. katnyan

katnyan

Hi,

I have exported the humanoid animation from Maya as fbx using the FBX exporter 2018. When this fbx is imported into Unity, the Animations has jerks all across. Attached is the screenshot of my Model settings across Model and Rig tabs. Also, in the Animations tab, I have set the Anim Compression to OFF.

The exported fbx file looks good when it is re-imported into maya and the animation has no jerks. Jerks only occur when the fbx file is imported into Unity.

Attached Files:

2. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

I'm a 3ds guy and I'm still figuring out Unity, but perhaps I can help with an idea or six on how to trouble-shoot this. I mean, nobody seems to show up in this forum to answer questions. Its the land of zero replies.

When you play the animation in the preview, can you slow it wayyyy down and see what sort of "jerky" motion is happening?

What frames-per-second are you animating in? I notice if I animate in 12fps it shows up as expanded to 30fps in Unity.

Do you have really long bone chains? Remember each bone adds rounding errors to the next one.

There is a position/rotation error-margin setting that defaults to .5-- Perhaps you could decrease that.

You are baking the animations when you export, right? You must be because I sure don't think it works if you don't.

Could it be a scale issue? Perhaps you're working so small in Maya that when it scales-up in Unity, you're seeing rounding errors.

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Checking scale is a good point. Confirm you are working in meters in Maya. Unity's default units are meters. Character should be approx. 1.85 meters tall.

Convert to generic rig and report the results.

4. COMETArtist50

COMETArtist50

Hi All
    This is a great discussion....I have been seeing the jump mesh for all fbx files that are on the large file size and scale.
    The mention above about setting the position/rotation/scale error higher works great....in my cast, I set each setting to 1 up from the 0.5 default. Also uncheck resample curves box. The only checked boxes are Import Animation and in my case loop.

5. saifshk17

saifshk17

I am noticing the same jerky motion, this happens when I am scaling the object from 0 to 1. The animation is created from Maya where everything works fine but Unity creates an interpolation curve. What is the way to fix this?