Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

FBX EXPORT OF MY TASTY AVOCADO

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by brucekoken, Oct 18, 2019.

1. brucekoken

brucekoken

Hey! Soooooooo sorry to bug you but I'm having a tough time figuring out how to simply post a question to the community as I constantly get a 'no matches found' message when I try to type in topic for my question (near bottom of community page). Anyways, I suspect this is an absurdly simple question and solution. I have a nicely textured avocado. All I want to do is export it to my desktop so that I can view it in a 3D viewer app such as what is supplied in windows. It's that easy. And send it to others for them to look at. I have tried exporting via the assets dropdown but the export package just gives me a unity file without any FBX option. I also imported an FBX exporter asset from the store but I'm still not finding any FBX file export option anywhere![alt text][1]. I'm in Unity 2019.2

Help!

ps I attached a screen grab

Attached Files:

2. Mauri

Mauri

Unity is not made for this. Instead, open the avocado model in your favorite 3d modelling app (Blender, 3DS Max, ... whatever you prefer), texturize it and export it as a FBX or OBJ file.

Edit: By the looks of it, this avocado is an already pre-texturized model from Sketchfab!? You should be able to simply copy it to the desktop?!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  3. brucekoken

brucekoken

Thanks all. I will go through 3DS Max or Blender and export (Unity is just soooo much easier to do that).

Hey Mauri. Well based on previous comment Unity is not made for this which in 2019, it should be. A bit bewildering. I believe most of the sketchfab comes with mesh alone and textures separate and I had to put into Unity and apply textures to it.

On the other hand.....You are wise. How did you know this was sketchfab?

And as for copy solution...that sounds juuust far too easy. I did the simple way of right click copy and then right click paste on my desktop but no luck. Can you expand on your solution? Thanks

4. hopeful

hopeful

In your screenshot, the avocado carries the name "sketchfab" in the hierarchy. :)

Mauri likes this.
  5. Madgvox

Madgvox

Well, no, not really. Unity is built for real-time applications, and therefore handles models, materials, and textures differently to a standard modelling program. Materials (and how textures get applied to those materials) in unity aren't directly compatible with the FBX format.