Search Unity

.FBX Export (Including "Smoothness" in material)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pinkallproductions, Jun 22, 2022.

1. pinkallproductions

pinkallproductions

I'm exporting an .fbx animation file, and can't seem to get certain things to stick.

One of those is the "smoothness" setting in material (bottom of the pic attached). I need my object to be reflective so these settings are pretty important.

When I tested it out by putting the export back into Unity, those settings went back to the default for it.

The end product will be opened in Nuke program.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.20.28 PM.png

Thanks!
    Ryan

2. vkovec

vkovec

Unity Developer - FBX Exporter

Hi Ryan!

Unfortunately export of smoothness property is not supported at this time.

Material export from Unity is currently limited, as there isn't a straightforward way to map between the FBX and Unity materials. Most materials will export as Lambert in FBX, with specular exporting as Phong, the support is also primarily for the standard PBS shader.

The following material values are exported:
    - Color
    - EmissionColor
    - BumpScale
    - SpecColor (if specular material)

And the following textures:
    - MainTex
    - EmissionMap
    - BumpMap
    - SpecGlossMap (if specular material)

If the FBX is reimported into Unity, I recommend using the original Unity materials if possible, e.g. by remapping the materials on import.

Otherwise for other programs, a workaround could be to create the materials in the destination application and connect them after import.

Best,
    Viktoria