Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

.fbx export from Maya

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by AaronC, Oct 29, 2006.

1. AaronC

AaronC

Hey guys, heres one for Maya users...
    Below is a screenshot of the nwest .fbx exporter from alias. Ive rigged a character and have made a bone based animated run cycle which is 32 frames. I also have an idle cycle at 32 frames, and a walk at 32 too. They are all seperate files. Im trying to get him unity ready...

So what is what here? I have no clue what these options mean, so I was hoping someone could give me a heads up on this page. The only thing I follow is embed textures and save as Tiff...

Theres a reference to quaternion and euler-This is stuff I need to figure out too...If theres a relevancy to my other thread where Eric is showing me basics of instantiating in 3d space, using quaternion Id be keen to be enlightened...

And whats this error(on second screenshot)?
    Thanks
    AC

Attached Files:

2. AaronC

AaronC

Hmmm
    How do I get the "Bake fkik" option box...must be to do with above settings, I presume..
    AC

Attached Files:

3. AaronC

AaronC

Nobody wants to tell me how to export my character properly?
    awww..... :cry:

Attached Files:

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Have you tried just saving the .mb file into Unity? It should work just fine. You shouldn't have to manually export it as an FBX unless you want to share this with other Unity users who don't have Maya themselves.

Inside Unity you can bake any IK animations by clicking on the object in the Project window and going into "Settings..." turn on "Bake IK Simulation".

I hope this answers your question. Unity probably has the tightest integration with Maya over any other 3D app and you should always just save out as .mb and enjoy the fact that Unity will take care of the FBX translation in the background.

5. AaronC

AaronC

Thanks Man, I'll try that :p

6. AaronC

AaronC

Well I've tried using.mb files and theyre not working too well. They take forever to load, and some look like this has anyone tried generating a .bvh motion in poser >then into maya>then bind>then into unity? It looks fine in Maya but is a dogs breakfast in unity. Im assuming a .bvh from poser can be different to other .bvh files?
    The figure on left is an .fbx, the others are .fbx and .mb, both using a poser .bvh.

Damn it would be good if this worked
    AC

Attached Files:

7. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I don't know what is wrong with the model, but as others have suggested. Use the .mb file importer. It internally goes through fbx anyway.

There is always the rare instance where a maya file has problems exporting to fbx because of missing bindposes or other uncleaned state. Using Delete history in maya fixes those issues usually. If it doesn't send the character in via Report Bug.app so we can pass on the issue to Autodesk.

8. Marble

Marble

That is eminently disturbing.

9. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi Targos,

To be honest, I think that you must check how the animation is being introduced in the skeleton (wich size the .bvh have) and try to adjust it to that size before you introduce it to Maya, the mesh looks like your model (The meshes, vertex actualy) is being moved. looks forced, as they are pushed too hard. This is as a first shoot.
    If not work...
    That looks pretty hard to find a proper answer. First, look how your model was skined (Maybe mixed ways). then see if you have the model with proper animation axis (I don't know if that causes problems on load in Unity). Later, check how the animation curves are working (All the animations works properly on Maya, no errors?). Try to make a little test, move one arm only to see if it works, then try to manage how the intricate movement will work with your model)

let me know if this works with you.

Good look

10. AaronC

AaronC

Hey Guys
    It seemed to work, Maybe my computer was having a moment?
    Thanks for the encouragement. This stuff can get really complex sometimes.
    AC

11. AaronC

AaronC

Oh hey Joecozero, I am getting this error ever time that I cant get rid of(I dont know where to look). If you can give me a heads up that would be great. You can see it in the errors and warnings dialouge box at the top of this thread. About fcurves tangents and having to change type? I get that error every single time.

The guy went all sqidgy because i had the max influences set too high at the bind stage, I believe.

Is that disturbing or the guy with white face/boots(textures unapplied) and tweed trouers(to be tiled in unity) :p

What a crack up
    thanks guys
    AC

12. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi Targos,

Have you changed the binding pose (In any way, values, orientations) after you make the animations?

Are you using set driven keys (they are not natively supported within Unity)

Have you export the file as a .fbx and load it on maya (File/import/your_exported_model.fbx)?

Have you looked at the script editor?

For the fcurves check the Graph Editor (Window/Animation editors/Graph editor).

good luck and let me know

13. AaronC

AaronC

Hey Joacoerazo, I just posted some animations on the scripting forum under real easy animation
    Maybe if you have some time you could browse them, and see if you can id any flaws
    -Only if you have time and can be bothered
    thanks
    AC

14. BenitAndTheJetz

BenitAndTheJetz

Hi Guys, if your still having trouble with mecanim and in-place animation (animation with no root motion) please check out this tutorial, im sure it going to help a few guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llkm951k5qE

thanks