Search Unity

Favorites Tab[s] - your favorite assets and game objects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Gua

Gua

I've removed FG_GameObjectGUIDs from the scene and allowed Favorites create new FG_GameObjectGUIDs. I haven't seen those errors for some time. I'll let you know if those errors comeback.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Flipbookee likes this.
  2. Gua

Gua

This error just popped-up.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.IsMainAsset (UnityEngine.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/bindings_old/common/Editor/AssetDatabaseBindings.gen.cs:72)
    FavoritesTab.OnGUI () (at Assets/FlipbookGames/FavoritesTab/Editor/Scripts/FavoritesTab.cs:1413)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:342)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:336)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:310)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect, System.Boolean customBorder, System.Boolean floatingWindow, System.Boolean isBottomTab) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:363)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:322)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:244)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Flipbookee likes this.
  3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see... That should be an easy fix, but I think I've fixed that already locally, so I'll check how I did that.

4. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Gua I just sent you a work-in-progress version of the latest updates for Favorites Tabs. Please let me know how that works for you when you get a chance to check :)

5. petrucio

petrucio

I'd also like that fix for those exceptions, they are pretty annoying.

Flipbookee and username132323232 like this.
  6. petrucio

petrucio

I also get these matching exceptions following those:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentException: Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing repaint
    2. Aborting
    3. UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/LayoutGroup.cs:122)
    4. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (System.Single minWidth, System.Single maxWidth, System.Single minHeight, System.Single maxHeight, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUILayoutUtility.cs:464)
    5. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (System.Single width, System.Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUILayoutUtility.cs:441)
    6. UnityEngine.GUILayout.Space (System.Single pixels) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUILayout.cs:219)
    7. FavoritesTab.DoToolbar () (at Assets/Plugins/FlipbookGames/FavoritesTab/Editor/Scripts/FavoritesTab.cs:2273)
    8. FavoritesTab.OnGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/FlipbookGames/FavoritesTab/Editor/Scripts/FavoritesTab.cs:1515)
    9. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <a8ed250850854b439cedc18931a314fe>:0)
    10. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    11. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RenderChain.Render (UnityEngine.Rect topRect, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRChainBuilder.cs:238)
    12. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.DrawChain (UnityEngine.Rect topRect, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:66)
    13. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.Update () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:54)
    14. UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdater.UpdateVisualTree () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/VisualTreeUpdater.cs:72)
    15. UnityEngine.UIElements.Panel.Repaint (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:637)
    16. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:240)
    17. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:78)
    18. UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

Flipbookee likes this.
  7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I'll be sending it in a moment... Please let me know how that works for you! I've been trying to get these fixes released for some time and any help would be highly appreciated.

8. username132323232

username132323232

Could you please send the fixed version to me too? Thanks!

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

The latest version of the Favorites Tabs got just released on the Asset Store! :cool:

Go, grab it from here... It works with all versions of Unity, even with the latest beta release :)

I hope you'll enjoy it, so let me know if you do (or if you don't, of course, for whatever reason).

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks! I was looking forward to using it in the latest beta and now its already possible! Unity changed some things around and the UI of the SI console had overlapping menu items, I will check if its better now.

Flipbookee likes this.
  11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah, SI Console is not part of the Favorites Tabs, so this update won’t fix that. I noticed the issue with overlapping buttons when I tested Si3 there and it will be an easy fix, so I hope I’ll get that fixed too this week and release an update over the weekend.

12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Ah yea sorry I got mixed up, saw your name thought about si3.
    Good news both assets get updated!

Flipbookee likes this.
  13. fmelogno

fmelogno

Hi, there is a way to view the object saved as a favorite in a scene persistently. I will explain better what I want to do, I bookmark an object from scene A, then, if I change to scene B, that object could show in its description that it belongs to scene A, and if I click on it, I change from scene B to scene A and I select the object.
    Thank you...

Flipbookee likes this.
  14. grimmy

grimmy

Hi, I'm getting this error in 2019.2.8f1:

ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: 287
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].TryInsert (TKey key, TValue value, System.Collections.Generic.InsertionBehavior behavior) (at <599589bf4ce248909b8a14cbe4a2034e>:0)

Not sure if it harmless or not but I have been having Unity crash a lot recently. Maybe its related. Who knows.

15. novaVision

novaVision

This asset need to be updated finally... too many warning messages of deprecated methods... so unnoyong, stopped to use it at all because of it

16. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hi @grimmy!

Sorry, there's nothing in that call stack that would suggest it's related to the Favorites Tabs... And no, Unity crashing is not related to exceptions thrown from managed code. Only the native code can crash an application, managed code is all protected from crashes and it can only throw exceptions. And all of the Favorites Tabs is running as managed code, so no, you can't crash Unity from managed code even if that's intentional. But you could call a managed code function in the Unity API that calls a native code function deeper inside Unity, and that code may crash the application, but that always indicates an error in that code, which in this case would be code of the Unity Editor or the Unity game engine embedded inside the editor.

But yeah, I'll check anyway. What version of the Favorites Tabs do you use, please?

17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Same question for you @novaVision, what version of the Favorites Tabs did you use before stopping? Have you tried the latest one from the Asset Store? If yes, in what version of Unity, please?

18. ballistic_cowboy

ballistic_cowboy

Hi Flipbookee,

Thanks very much for the great asset, it's really helping my productivity and I'm very pleased with the purchase. There is one behaviour I would like to customise and I wonder if there is already an option to do this or an easy way I can code a patch if needed?

When I am editing a game object in the inspector it would be nice if selecting a favorite folder in the favorites tab doesn't change the inspector away to look at that folder (it only opens up an empty inspector anyway because there aren't any inspector properties on a folder) and only changes project browser to look at the folder instead. I know I can lock the inspector as well, but it is less efficient to be locking and unlocking it, rather than having a helpful default behaviour of the favourites folder. Let me know if something like that is possible!

Many thanks.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Flipbookee likes this.
  19. Wilbert-Blom

Wilbert-Blom

It's been a while but... did you ever get to work on using categories or labels instead of star colors to filter favorites ? It's easier to remember if we can use names instead of colors.

Flipbookee and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Unfortunately no. I’m still very busy with Script Inspector 3 which turned out to need a tremendous amount of work, but it’s getting closer and I’ll try to allocate part of my time to Favorites Tabs because yeah, it’s been a while…

tosiabunio likes this.
  21. jsmars

jsmars

Any reason why the plugin loads up fine on one of my PCs and not on the other for the same project? I have different unity ID's on them but that shouldn't make a difference right?

It worked fine on both until a few days ago. Also it stopped working once, then restarted unity and then it loaded up again, but since then no matter how many times I restart it doesn't show up in the menu. I can't seem to find any log or error message related to it either.

Awesome plugin, can't use unity without it! Would love to be able to drag and drop items to and from the favorites window though.

I'm on 2019.4.31f, also tested on 2019.4.24f1 and same issue there.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@jsmars, no, the Unity ID doesn't make a difference. Are there any compile errors in the project? I know you said it's the same project, but can you enter the Play mode on both PCs? Unity won't let you enter the Play mode if there are compile errors.

Other than that, I can't think of what else would break it. But send me the Editor.log and I'll check if I can spot anything suspicious.

YAY! Thanks so much! :cool:
    Please consider posting a nice review if you haven't done that yet <3

Do you want to add and remove the items like that? Because the drag-drop action from it is already taken - you can drag out a favorite prefab, for example, and drop it in the scene. Drag to is still free, I think, so yeah, that could be the action for favoriting an item, although the active filters might hide it and you'll wonder where is it now. But I'll think of something, maybe warn and say "it's been added but it's hidden by a filter".

23. jsmars

jsmars

Can't see any mention of flipbook or favorites in the Editor.log, not on the PC where the plugin is working and not the one without. I can send the log in a DM to you to check it out.

Posted 5 star now :)

Yeah dragging from works as intended. Would like to be able to drop things there to be added as a favorite using the current views filters. Having to mouseover the star area, right click and then keep track of which color I'm on currently is a bit slower than simply dragging an item into the current tab. I have multiple favorite tab views, and say I'm drag an item into the view showing Red stars only, then I'd like that to be a red star favorite. If it's showing all I guess default to a yellow star.

Another very helpful suggestion for me would be if you could move out the creation of 'FG_GameObjectGUIDs' from the scene when favoriting things within a scene. This is a bit of a hassle as it changes the scene and gets in the way for other team members when working on the same scene. It would be a lot better if these also were locally kept in a temp file so that they don't affect the actual project files, even if that means that some references may be broken when changed externally.

Flipbookee likes this.
  24. jsmars

jsmars

I finally got it working again! After I tried a bunch of different things that didn't work. I right clicked on all the scripts and chose "Reimport", and magically it loaded up correctly, even after restart. Don't know what changed and I hope it keeps working and that it can help anyone else who finds themselves in this situation.

Flipbookee likes this.
  25. jsmars

jsmars

Also, if you could add support so that favorites aren't deleted if a file disappears for a while. When moving between development branches I often favorite the new items I'm working on, and after switch to another branch and back they will be gone.

Flipbookee likes this.
  26. jsmars

jsmars

Sorry for so many posts but.. Found another bug I've encountered multiple times now is that when dragging items from the favorites tab into the inspector, a different object than the selected one is dragged, likely a wrongful index. Can't say exactly what to do to reproduce, but I'm using a second filtered view (orange star) when I'm getting the error. This is a pretty vital functionality that isn't working at the moment, would be great with a fix! :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  27. Akamis

Akamis

Hi @Flipbookee , i know that some years ago, you said that Favorite tabs don't work with additive scene setup because you don't have to tool from Unity so support that.
    I bought your asset recently and i'm working on a multi scene setup for my game.
    Do you know if there have been some improvement to support additive scene now in 2022 ?

Flipbookee likes this.
  28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I haven't done anything to improve the support for additive scenes. I hope the Unity API has evolved since then, so I'll check and see what I can do... Thanks for reminding me about this!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Akamis likes this.
  29. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Somehow I missed your last few posts. I'll investigate these issues - thanks for reporting them!

30. Rayeloy

Rayeloy

I just bought your asset, I'm using 2020.3.16f1 and I can't seem to make it work. I can bring out the favourites tab, but I can't see any start anywhere... What is going on?

EDIT: It was working, but instructions were unclear. You have to leave your mouse over anything for a long time, then and only then the star icon will appear... Wonder if I can lower that time.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Did you try just clicking a script?

32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah yes, that delay is very annoying! But it isn't imposed by my code. It's some kind of optimization inside the Unity Editor that was introduced even before they made the Editor source code public. At that time, I tried all sorts of workarounds to bypass that and nothing helped. But now that the Editor source code is on github, I may be able to find a working solution that would bypass that optimization. It would be perfect to improve that, so I'll see what I can do about that.

33. Rayeloy

Rayeloy

thank you! your asset is awesome. However, sometimes the star doesn't appear, even when I put my mouse over stuff for a long time.

Flipbookee likes this.
  34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, I'll check that... What is your Unity version?

35. Rayeloy

Rayeloy

Sorry for the late reply, our version is Unity 2020.3.16f1.

Flipbookee likes this.
  36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

EXITING NEWS !!!

Favorites Tabs
    version 1.3.0

has just been released on the Asset Store
    Please update your copies and enjoy this free update!

This version fully supports multi-scene editing, contains some important and less important bug fixes, has been updated to work with the latest version of Unity, and it's been heavily optimized (using Si3's upcoming integration with the Unity Profiler) for memory and CPU usage.

I'm looking forward to receiving your feedback, comments, suggestions, or even bug reports, if any, and if you find a minute, eventually some nice reviews ;)

Cheers and thanks to everyone who helped me with this update (they know who they are)!

37. ismail_koroglu

ismail_koroglu

It's not working with wacom tablet.

38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Could you share some more details, please? What isn't working? What happens? I don't have a Wacom tablet to check (the laptop that had a Wacom tablet built into its display died, unfortunately), but maybe I can help if you tell me more about the issue.

39. ismail_koroglu

ismail_koroglu

When I click on any favorite nothing happen. Only the name of favorite appears and disappears.

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Could you add drag and drop support for adding new favourites ?
    I prefer to work this way, and it also will allow for drag multiple items into the favourite window.

Another nice thing to have would manual sorting mode, where I can set the order of the items manually. ( same as is possible in the hierarchy )

And could you add a slider like in project window to switch between icon and list view?
    ( slider in the bottom right corner in the screenshot )

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 12.20.13.png

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    Flipbookee likes this.
  41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hmm, it looks like the click isn't registered as a click but instead, it initiates a drag... I'll see what I can do, just please tell me, what version of Unity is that?

42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yeah, these features were already requested in the past, but I never got the time to implement them. Thanks for reminding me!

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I might have fixed this, please check your inbox :cool:

44. ismail_koroglu

ismail_koroglu

Yes. It's working. Thanks.

Flipbookee likes this.
  45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah cool! So that was it - I added a check for the drag distance before starting a drag. Nice, I’ll update the version in the Asset Store.

ismail_koroglu likes this.
  46. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

When you get to it, dragging into the favorites is on top of my wish list :)

the others slightly below it

Flipbookee likes this.
  47. sampenguin

sampenguin

re: v 1.3.0, with Unity 2022.3.7f1

I updated to this version this week, and ever since my star color assignments get borked every time my editor restarts or the GUI layout is changed.
    My typical usage:
    I usually have a separate tab open and filtered by each color to organize a bunch of different workflows in a big project at once, i.e. one filtering yellow stars, one filtering red stars, etc. Now when it bugs out, they all get changed to blue stars, with the exception of a few get set to yellow.
    Single scene, I do use the in scene favorites too... but it still happens if I don't.

I'm guessing something got corrupted in wherever the favorite & color are stored, but I've been unable to find anything to reset this... I've deleted and reinstalled the package and it persisted my favorites across this (although with the wrong colors still). I've removed and re-added stars, keeps happening. Any suggestions?

This asset has worked great for years, so thank you for a generally solid & usable "must have" package! It says something that when it stops working, my workflow is seriously impacted because I rely on it so much minute to minute. :)

Update: I keep the package in the Plugins folder. I can force the bug to occur by re-importing any of the package scripts by right clicking in editor in project view, which kicks off a compile of the plugins asmdef. So it seems to happen with any plugins folder recompile?

I also completely removed the scene object with FG_GameObjectGUIDs and any hierarchy favorites, and it still happens.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
    Flipbookee likes this.
  48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

try resetting the layout to
    I'm sorry for the trouble you had with that and thanks for reporting the issue! If I understand well the issue is that the filtering for Favorites tabs changes to show only blue and yellow stars, but the favorited objects keep the star color you assigned to them, right?

The filtering options for each tab get saved in the layout. There's no special code to do that, just a set of serialized fields in the Favorites editor window. This sounds like Unity has some issues while serializing the layout, so I'd suggest trying to reset the Unity layout to factory defaults, rebuild your layout, and then see if that helps or not. I'll try to reproduce the issue here with that Unity version and the latest version of Favorites Tabs, and I'll check the code if I can find something suspicious, but it will be like shooting in the dark if I can't reproduce the issue...

Let me know how it goes, please, and I'll post here if I find anything suspicious.

49. sampenguin

sampenguin

Nope it's actually backwards of that... The assigned star colors keep getting changed. E.g. my main scene objects I have all starred with red stars. Something is triggering them to become different colors, and it's not always the same. On my last two tests, 1) the red stars changed to cyan, 2) some green stars and red stars changed to blue.

I've now found I can have just one Favorites tab open, filter by star color set to All, and it happens on every script compilation.

Flipbookee likes this.
  50. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see, okay. That sounds now like something I might have messed up in my code, so thanks for the info - I’ll investigate and see what happens.