Search Unity

Favorites Tab[s] - your favorite assets and game objects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Jimww

Jimww

Yes, my issue is related to single column view. In theory, using Favorites could help eliminate some need for the 2 column view (which I don't like to use for space reasons).

Also fixing this would save 2 clicks, not 1, because when you click on a starred folder in single column view, it brings you to the folder but for some reason hides the dropdown arrow, so you have to click on the folder once to make that down arrow become visible and functional, then again to open it up.

2. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see, yes, I think I can do that :) Thanks for the suggestion!

3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

docsavage, thank you so much for your brilliant review!!! :D

4. docsavage

docsavage

No problem,

It is a great bit of kit and it's about time I recommended it.

I noticed the update today on the store. Any major changes?

Thanks

Flipbookee likes this.
  5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@docsavage No, there are no changes yet. That was only an additional upload from Unity 5 to avoid the warning when downloading it in Unity 5, but there were no changes.

@Jimww I'm finishing a big update for Si3 tonight, so once that's done I'll add the auto-opening feature for favorite folders shown in a single column Project view, as promissed. ;)

6. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

good news since long man :)

7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey, hey! Did you notice?

Favorites Tabs is on sale for Level 11 users!!! :D

Get it now for $6 only instead of $15. That's 60% off and about a half of the cost for the monthly subscription.

Can't wait to hear how useful (or not) you'll find it! :)

8. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@thienhaflash Thanks for taking the initiative! I will check HierarchyDraw and see what I can do.

There are two things which I can foresee as obstacles in my case particularly - I may not want to stop using the current solution implemented in the Favorites Tabs and replace it with something else unless that other solution is better, and the other thing is that Favorites Tabs is also drawing icons for items in the Project view.

But I don't want to speak too early, let me check what you've done first... ;)

10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Jimww, thanks for your great suggestion! The requested feature is available now! :cool:

Favorites Tabs version 1.2.13 got just released on Asset Store!!!

In this new version favorited folders will automatically expand in one-column Project windows when you select them in a Favorites Tab! This will save you a mouse click or two :D

Thanks for all your awesome reviews and star ratings!!! It's so amazing to see that many people out there care about this project and love it! :cool:

11. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Absolutely ! HierarchyDraw is somewhat common sense, contains absolutely no clever thing inside so it is by no way can compared to the smart solution you already had on FavoriteTabs ! But it does has some advantageous
    - Put the responsibility into the author's hand. If you want your component to play well with others, do support HierarchyDraw, which is just several lines of code, 5 minutes' thing
    - No need to support other component in each of our components, no more detect and do magic things, and then
    - No update breaks when other components do heavy update like changing namespace or classname or the way they do things.
    - Also solve some other problems as well, like some try to turn wantsMouseMove on and some try to turn it off
    - Get the user the ability to turn any icon on or off when they want (upcoming)
    - Let user decide which icons to be drawn first and which to be drawn last (upcoming)

For the drawing in project panel, I think we can also do the same, adding some more code and , we may need to rename it to "EditorDraw" or something ...

so, what do you think ? :)

12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@thienhaflash I didn't have time to check HierarchyDraw before this release, sorry about that! But I can do that right now and I'll let you know what I think. ;)

13. Remiel

Remiel

Hi, I've been using favorites for a few days now and I've noticed certain things that would use improvements:
    I'd like to be able to add multiple selected items to favorites tab, because it is rather bothersome to add it one by one. It would be great if we could drag and drop items from project and scene view into favorites tab to make them into favorites. Or at least if there would be a right click option "Add selected to favorites".

Also, I see you mention possibility of having multiple favorite tabs open with different favorites and different colored stars, however I didn't come upon instructions for using it.
    How do we change the star color?
    If I open another favorites tab, the entries in it are the same as the first favorites tab. How do I make the entries different? Or are the entries always the same but we can apply a different search filter?

Also, I accidentally deleted wrong items from favorites, I quickly hit undo but it wasn't undone. I had to search for those items and add them again. Could you perhaps add an undo functionality?

14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Remiel:
    I'll add an option to add multiple selected objects to favorites at once... Thanks for the suggestion! :)

You can change the color of a star by right-clicking it, then select a color from the popup menu.

Yes, entries are always the same but by applying different filtering you make them show different things. You can filter the favorites by type using the magnifying glass icon in the search field, like this:
    TypeFilters.png
    You can also filter the items by typing a part of their names in the search field. Then each Favorites tab will retain its filtering settings even after restarting Unity. You can also save all Favorites tabs with their filtering and all other settings in a Layout.

Undoing removed favorite items is a good idea! I'll look at that too...

Thanks for your great feedback! :)

15. Remiel

Remiel

Thank you for clarifying that!
    Can we filter shown assets by labels? (Assets in the project view can have multiple labels assigned for quicker isolation and searches.)
    Looking forward to further development of this great asset! :)

16. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Remiel No, you can't filter by labels. Do you think that would be useful? If yes I can add that too, but my reasoning was that filtering by labels is already there in the Project view, and you have already hand picked your favorites so the "noise" has already been filtered out. There is filtering by type and by name and everything in the list is sorted, so finding what you want might be much faster by looking at the list than activating a filter for a label and then looking at the list... But I might be wrong ;)

The second reason for not including filtering by label is that scene objects (which are also part of the list) have no labels. But then they have tags, so maybe there should be an option to filter by tag...

Anyway, I prefer simple designs with less options over complex ones with everything customizable, as long as the pre-selected choices made for me make perfect sense... So if you think this would be an useful option I'd be glad to add it :)

17. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

:D Just a friendly remind, I absolutely give 1000 votes for the custom group thing :D

Flipbookee likes this.
  18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

You mean to have custom groups of favorites? Yes, that would be super cool, I think! I'll try to get that in for the next update :)

I've looked at HierarchyDraw code and I think I have a good idea how to make that work for all plugins including those which don't have their own integration with it so I'll reply in that thread. ;)

19. Jimww

Jimww

Yes, the ability to make multiple custom groups of favorites seems critical. I just bought SI2 and I was hoping for the ability to use a custom Favorites group just for the 10 or so scripts that I work with the most, basically to replace the typical solution explorer of Monodevelop. I'm constantly having to dig through that solution explorer for these same few files.

An added feature that seems like it would be useful is to be able to create virtual folders or groupings within a Favorites Tab, just to allow some further organizing.

20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Jimww, you can open a Favorites tab and make it show your favorite scripts only. :D

21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

This month's Level 11 sale and the opportunity to get an insane discount on Favorites Tabs is just about to end... Just a friendly reminder ;)

22. Trung-Hieu

Trung-Hieu

Nice plugin you have here, I just brought it and it works great.
    However it will create a temp game object in the scene, and I personally don't really like it. I don't think I ever need to touch that game object, hence why don't you set hideFlags to HideInHirarchy when create it?
    Apart from that, everything works like magic :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks a lot @Trung Hieu! :D

Favorites Tabs was initially made to set the hideFlags to HideInHierarchy, but people were complaining about that. It was confusing if for some reason someone would like to remove the Favs Tabs, then that hidden object will have a missing script, and since it's hidden there's no way to "fix" that manually... After a serious consideration of all proposed solutions, I've decided to remove the hide flag and leave full control to the users. Trust me, it's much better this way ;)

Trung-Hieu likes this.
  24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Favorites Tabs 1.2.14 got just released on Asset Store! :D

Please update your Favorites Tabs if you are already using Unity 5.1 or if you are planning to upgrade.

Enjoy! :cool:

25. justinl

justinl

After updating to the latest version 1.2.14 which supports Unity 5.1, I recieve the following error:
    Assets/FlipbookGames/FavoritesTab/Editor/Scripts/FavoritesTab.cs(271,25): error CS0433: The imported type `FG_GameObjectGUIDs' is defined multiple times. I am running Unity 5.1.0f3.

Any thoughts on a fix? I tried completely deleting the plugin and re-importing from scratch. Same error.
    Thanks

26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @justinl, seems like the old FG_GameObjectGUIDs.cs script was moved somewhere else form its original location, and now after importing the update there are two copies of that script in your project. That's why you get error CS0433 saying that there are two types defined in two different assemblies with the same name FG_GameObjectGUIDs...

The fix is easy, in the search field of the Project view type FG_GameObjectGUIDs and I'm pretty sure you'll fine those two scripts. Check their locations and find out where is the old one (which is the one that is not in its default location /Assets/FlipbookGames/Common/Scripts) and then clear the search field. Check is that the only file which was moved or there are maybe more...

Now I think it would be best if you delete both the new and the old version, make sure there are no compile errors after that, and then import Favorites Tabs package again. This is necessary (well, I believe it is) because the old script had the original GUID and the new one got assigned a new GUID because the original one was already taken, most likely, or it's maybe the other way around! The old script and the new one have effectively the same content, so it doesn't really matter which one you'll keep, but you want to keep the one that has the original GUID and since you don't know which one is that, the safest thing is to delete them both and then import the package again.

I hope that makes sense... Let me know if this helps, please :)

27. justinl

justinl

@Flipbookee,

Thanks! That worked. I thought I'd deleted all the files but there was one lurking in the Plugins folder (I probably put it there a while back). All good now. Thanks for the quick response! Love your work.

Flipbookee likes this.
  28. FireMutant

FireMutant

@Flipbookee,

It seems Favorites has stopped working for me in Unity v5.1.0f3 Personal. Whenever I click on one of my Favorites folders, the Assets Folder in the Project view flashes for a second, but Favorites does not navigate to the proper folder. The project window continues to display whichever folder is currently selected. It does work if I favorite a GameObject in the Hierarchy. It will highlight the GameObject in the Hierarchy window. Just folders don't work anymore. I tried deleting the Favorites folder and the FG_GameObjectGUIDs gameobject and reinstalling and rebuilding everything, but the problem persists.

Thanks.

Flipbookee likes this.
  29. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, I see. There's no exposed API in Unity to show the content of a folder, so that feature uses Reflection. They must have changed something, so I'll update my code now. Thanks for reporting the issue!

30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@FireMutant, I just checked this, it works fine for me in Unity 5.1.0f3 Personal, for both one- and two-column views in the Project :confused:

31. FireMutant

FireMutant

Hmmm... I just tried creating a brand new project, imported Favorites Tab 1.2.14, created a few folders and marked them as favorites, and still the same problem. Assets turns Yellow and animates scale up/scale down, but it doesn't go to the folder. I have another computer with Unity on it. Let me try that later and see if it works there. Thanks for the quick response.

EDIT: Well, this is strange. One computer, it works fine. The other computer, no matter what I do, even with new empty project, it won't work. Both computers now running Unity v5.1.1f1 Personal. It must be something in the environment or installation that is mucking it up. These are the times when my unwavering love of computers & programming gets challenged. :mad: ;)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  32. Meceka

Meceka

Hello, I am using QHierarchy, and when I wish to click on qhierarchy's button on right (by default it's lock icon) it moves qhierarchy's buttons and icons left, clicks the favorite tabs star instead.

QHierarchy has an option to set Indentation, and other assets icons look nice after setting that, as it saves some space on right side. But with favorites tab, as it just moves all elements of qhierarchy to left when the star appears, I have to wait for star to appear each time before clicking a button, so that they will move left, and I won't accidentally click on something else.
    I think there should be an option, that would disable sliding those buttons to left, and this way I can just set indentation on hierarchy, and favorites star will appear there without moving everything left.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    Flipbookee likes this.
  33. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Meceka Right, that's a good suggestion! I'll add the option. Thanks!

34. Meceka

Meceka

I'm still waiting, if you aren't wishing to update it, you can direct me to code that does that, and I will modify it.

35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I know my friend! I have to release Si3 by Sunday and I'm busy with that, but let me take a quick look at FT code... I'll let you know...

36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Favorites Tabs 1.2.15 got just released on the Asset Store! :D

Please update... :)

New stuff in version 1.2.15:
    - New option to fix positions of other icons in the Hierarchy view (right-click a fav star in the Hierarchy)
    - New sorting option - Most recently favorited on top
    - New - Add to Favorites & select star color by right-clicking a hollow star
    - Bug fixes

@Meceka and @jprocha101, thanks for your great suggestions! :)

37. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Oh sweet, I saw the issue with QHierarchy as well. Glad to see it's fixed already :D

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Does QHierarchy works with Favourite Tabs? Any conflict or problems? I am thinking of picking up that QHierarchy. Just want to know those of you have it have experience any other problems.

39. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@I am da bawss, I don't own a copy but I assume there are no problems anymore with that - no one complained after I added the option to fix icons in place, so it must be all fine :p

I am da bawss likes this.
  40. Meceka

Meceka

Yep, works fine with QHierarchy now.

Another small request, right now star icon is in my opinion too large and takes lot's of space in hierarchy window. Is it possible to add a smaller rectangle as an option, and give users ability to change it's shape by right click menu (star/rect)?

Something like this(width of this icon is half of the star):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfihzwayx5vifeh/Screenshot 2015-08-06 16.26.08.png?dl=0

Flipbookee likes this.
  41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Meceka, would this work for you?

Bookmark.png

42. Meceka

Meceka

Sure, my point is usability, I just need it to be less wider. Icon doesn't really matter, but it looks good :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  43. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Flipbookee
    A suggestion for Favorites. :)
    What about adding a new type of bookmark that stores transform information of current active scene view point?
    Just like a function provided by this plugin: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/22302
    This is a really really useful function that, I think, should be integrated into a comprehensive bookmark tool like Favorite.

Flipbookee likes this.
  44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Dan2013, that sounds interesting, but I won't be able to do anything about that for today's update. I have to update both Si3 and FT today, and this doesn't look like a simple thing at first sight, so I'll have to investigate this first and see if that would fit somehow in the existing UI... Has someone tried that asset? Is it really not working with Unity 5? If that's the case I may consider adding something like that to FT. Otherwise I'm really against the idea of taking other publishers' ideas and bundling them into my assets ;)

45. Meceka

Meceka

++ on Dan's request. You should be able fit an enum on some area of favorites toolbar.

I was using that asset a lot, not a clear answer but I probably stopped using it as it wasn't working on unity5. (also note that there are 5 upvotes on that unity5 comment)

I just realised script inspector 3 is released and will try it soon. You are doing a great job with both assets, ;)

Flipbookee likes this.
  46. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Flipbookee @Meceka
    That Scene Bookmark plugin works for me so far. I am using Unity 5.1.2
    I think if you have your own design which fits into your Favorites well, it is decent, since bookmarking scene view is such an important function. For example, Unreal Engine provides such function by default with shortcuts (Ctrl+num).

47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks! :D

48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Favorites Tabs version 1.2.16 got just released on Asset Store! :D

Now the stars context menu has an option to choose between stars and ribbons to be shown on your favorite items in Hierarchy and Project windows. The ribbons take only half of the size of star icons ;)

Meceka likes this.
  49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh WOW!
    Favorites Tabs is a featured Editor Extension now! :D

Thanks to all the cool folks at the Asset Store :cool:

50. mcmorry

mcmorry

@Flipbookee I'd like to have a multiple filter selection. For example inside a tab I'd like to filter folders and scene. In another materials, texture and shaders, and so on. Is it possible?

Flipbookee likes this.
unityunity