Search Unity

Favorites PRO: (Favorites, History and scene analysis)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by KristianHJ, Sep 1, 2017.

1. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi all

Just released Favorites PRO

Is this tool for me?
    Have you ever tried having a hard time finding the asset you need, then favorites PRO is the tool for you!

What does it do?
    Favorites PRO is a tool that will ease your daily workflow building content and levels. This is done in 3 distinct ways:

1: A list of your own favorites for easy access (Both folders and individual assets)

2: A comprehensive automatic history of all the assets you have been using recently, which allows you to quickly find the things you use the most.

3: A list of all the prefabs being used in current scene. That allows you to quickly find anything often used in a specific scene.

These 3 methods will allow you to speed up your level building and content creation, and not spend time searching through obscure folders to find the assets you need.

Does it support multiple users?
    Favorites PRO is built to support multi-user development, automatically creating custom favorites for each team member, while also supporting a painless version control workflow.
    You are also able to copy favorites from other profiles, allowing for shared profiles that multiple team members can benefit from.

Is source code available?
    Full source code is indeed available.

Documentation

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    Teila likes this.
  2. lundon

lundon

If I run my game with Maximize on Play another copy of Favorites PRO pops onto the screen. This only seems to happen when I have Start Automatically ticked in the Favorites PRO preferences

3. Teila

Teila

I like this! Looks good for level design.

4. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Thanks Teila! It was indeed my initial intention to make a tool to aid Level Designers. I then realized that being able to favorite stuff like script files was actually just as valuable.

5. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

There is an easy fix though. You can turn off "Start Automatically" in settings, that will fix your problem.

Open "Options"
    Options.PNG

Toggle "Start automatically" off
    StartAutomaatically.PNG

I will change the default value to false ("Autostart" was meant as a feature, but perceived as a bug by a quite a few people) The idea is that you should dock the "Favorites PRO" window to your workspace - that will give you the best experience.

6. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Just submitted a new version that does not auto-open window by default. Will probably be approved by Unity in 3-4 days, but until then, just toggle "Start Automatically" false.

Thanks for your feedback

7. MrIconic

MrIconic

I came from a different "favorites" asset because this one is searchable and separates by type. However, is there a way to favorite instances in the scene view and NOT the prefabs in the project panel.

I'd like to use it for navigation between key elements in my scene.

Also @Teila you must know of all the good assets because I frequently jump into a thread and notice you've already been there.

Teila likes this.
  8. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hey Blueberry

Thanks for your message.

Currently there is no way of favoriting (Is that a word?) instances of assets in scenes, only the assets themselves in the project folder. I do however think it is a pretty good idea, so while it wasn't the plan to begin with to I will start doing some investigation into adding that functionality to Favorites PRO. But for the time being it isn't supported.

Regards,
    Kristian

9. MrIconic

MrIconic

Alright. Unfortunate but glad you'll be looking into it.

10. wolfen231

wolfen231

About to buy this. Price is right hehe.

I have a request though if it's not much hassle. A way to make the thumbnails bigger, or just a thumbnail only mode with larger thumbnails.

That's it.

Now I am gonna go buy it hehe.

11. wolfen231

wolfen231

12. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi wolfen

Sorry for the LONG delay, I'm very much alive, but for some reason I haven't been getting notifications from this thread, must have accidentally removed it from my watch list. I will definitely add a setting for you to control thumbnail sizes. It will be in the next release.

13. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Just submitted v1.6.2 now which will allow you to set a thumbnailsize (up till 128px)
    Should probably be live at the asset store in 4-5 days

upload_2018-11-18_11-0-34.png

14. NikoSkakun

NikoSkakun

Hello KristianHJ. I just noticed some lags in Play mode, when Favorites window is open and focused. It happens because
    FavoritesProWindow calling method UpdateSceneInfo() in the OnHierarchyChange callback. The fact is that in my game Hierarchy change often and it has lots of objects, so it's no wonder that your scene analyzer doing lags.

I solved the problem just adding a check of Application.isPlaying before calling UpdateSceneInfo().

I'll be very grateful if you fix it in the next update of your plugin.
    Have a nice day.

15. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi Nick. Makes total sense. thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will have a fix for that in next release

16. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Just submitted a fix in v1.6.5. I ended up doing what you recommended :)
    Cant really say how long it will take before its live, between 1 hour and 5 days depending on Unity review process

17. username132323232

username132323232

Is it possible to add objects from the scene hierarchy to Favorites?

18. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Its on my todo list, but for the time being its only 'Project Asset', not 'Scene Assets'. There is no clear cut way of identifying individual assets in scene because they change ID every time the editor opens. Its still something I want to do, just haven't found the right way yet

19. username132323232

username132323232

I see. Perhaps there could be some trick for doing that? Even if it was based just on the asset name (not very reliable, but better than nothing :)) There's a plug-in (from FlipbookGames) that lets you bookmark scene assets. I don't know how they do it. Just saying it's possible.

20. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Yes i know about the flipbookgames asset, author used to be a colleague of mine actually. What he does is that he spawns a "flipbook asset" in the scene that keeps all the references. That is a perfectly acceptable solution, but I would really like to do it without having to modify the individual scenes.

21. username132323232

username132323232

Thank you. I hope you can find a way to add this feature, even if it doesn't work perfectly. It would be a great time-saver and likely a selling point :)

22. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

I fully agree. I will keep looking for at suitable solution. Thank your for your feedback

username132323232 likes this.
  23. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Hello- very useful asset-

I've noticed that while I'm able to add any asset to Favorites- only those with a Mesh Filter/Renderer at their root show a thumbnail and are drag/droppable into the scene view-

Example image

Is this the intended behavior? When I double click on these objects they are not highlighted in the asset folder either- So they really cannot be used in the Favorites tab-

Is there any way to drag/drop these assets that will not generate thumbnails into the scene?

24. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Please note: In version 1.7.7 AFP has moved out of the "Assets" and into the "Packages" folder to make future upgrades easier and more reliant.

Unity does however not provide any way to make this move in a good way, so I've written an custom upgrader.
    If you however still get errors after upgrading to 1.7.7, please remove old version and re-import from packages manager.

Sorry if you encounter this issue, but the move to "packages" means that any future upgrades will be much easier to implement.

Last edited: May 29, 2022