Search Unity

Favorite script editor for Mac in 2019

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by gustavopinent, Jan 14, 2019.

1. gustavopinent

gustavopinent

Hi! I am new in Unity. I started to learn the C# language, that seams to be the one for Unity projects. I had some issues when installing Unity in my Mac, one was Visual Studio that flooded my disk during installation and give me hard job to clean up all my system. I am now using Blue Fish and BBEdit that I use for php and JavaScript.

After Christmas, New Year and vacations, I am now back to classroom. But though will need a editor with language support, and none of my editors (mentioned above) has. Also I could not find a third part C# complement to add. I am now downloading Visual Studio again, hope this build won't end in a new catastrophe. After doing a basic research, though things are changing a bit in this area, I hope to be updated with newer tools and practices - as you that is reading this.

So my question is will Visual Studio for Mac the best choice? What the alternatives? Worth to pay for a non free? Share your thoughts!

2. Cyber-Dog

Cyber-Dog

VS is gonna be the best options, only alternatives Id say would be MonoDevelope and Sublime.
    But Im not sure what text prediction you will have when using them. Thats why VS will be best as its the most robust and Unity focuses its development around that.

The base install of VS that Unity uses shouldn't be more than 4Gb or so. Are you installing VS manually or through Unity?

3. xVergilx likes this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If you can live without autocomplete (there is a solution for it although it's not great), I really like using Sublime Text.

5. temresen

temresen

VS Code with some extensions is the best!

6. xVergilx

xVergilx

Jetbrains Rider is hands-down best IDE for both Windows & Mac (for C#).
    Although it might be a bit costly if you're new.

Worth trying out the free trial in any case.

7. MrMatthias

MrMatthias

Jetbrains Rider. Also best for Windows.
    As a student you get their toolbox for free, including Webstorm and PhpStorm.
    Their yearly subscription for all tools decreases from 250€ to 150€ after 2 years

8. gustavopinent

gustavopinent

Thanks for the answers! Though VS is the winner as free, maybe will worth to pay for Jetbrains Rider later as the money comes in (I started to pay for Adobo products as money from jobs came in). Other editors without knowledge of C# won't be better than BBEdit or Blue Fish that I already have.

I don't remember how I did install, I think Unity was just changed something about installation and VS integration so I am sure it was a bug or corrupted file that leaded to an endless leak in the disk. I will try again with the brand new download file, and won't stop for bugs this time.