Search Unity

"Fatigue" Survival Horror Project

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Jolkio, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Jolkio

Jolkio

Fatigue is now on Steam Greenlight!
    Please, check it out and give your vote!

Latest Video

There is a small pre-alpha demo coming out soon and I will be needing some testers. If you're interested in taking part PM me :)

(Edit)

Fatigue is an experimental horror game inspired by old survival horror classics. Its gameplay combines puzzle solving and filling your characters needs. You have to avoid illnesses and stay healthy, while trying to find out who or what killed Larry Seinfeld.

The game starts when detective John Foley gets fired from his job due to his incompetense and lack of mental stability. Following his employers will, John takes a vocation in a small town of Pine Lake. Secretly he's planing to start his own investigations, on a suspicious case of death, which recently occured at the same hotel he's planing to stay in. In no time he founds him self stranded in the empty Pinelake Inn.

Fatigue strongly relies on atmosphere and aims to tell a story about dependence on others, decaying trust, and paranoia.

Latest Images

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Mister-D, one_one and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. DennG

DennG

Nice! Good looking Screenshot.
    I can really relate to your love in Silent Hill, because I played them all. Some of them up to five times (Yes, I'm that crazy).

The setting is quite similiar to the one in SH2.. Reminds me of toluca lake and the lakeview hotel :D

3. Jolkio

Jolkio

Thanks! I still have first SH unfinished :D Just bought it from playstation store few days ago.

It's not really intentional, but I have to admit that especialy lakeview hotel worked for me as a setting :D

DennG likes this.
  4. Jolkio

Jolkio

I started making DevDiary videos from this project and here is the first episode wich is covering an introduction of the project and some basic features of the gameplay.

DennG likes this.
  5. DennG

DennG

Great progress so far.
    I really like the style.. keep up the good work!

Jolkio likes this.
  6. hemzab

hemzab

Good continuation

Jolkio likes this.
  7. Jolkio

Jolkio

Some more progression! Second part of the Diary.

DennG likes this.
  8. DennG

DennG

Still working on this?

9. Jolkio

Jolkio

Yep. I've been working also on another project and on an asset pack that I hope will be going trough the review any day now.

This project has been little on the side but I have managet to get some progres done anyway. I'm just in the middle of making a video of first enemy I made. Hopefully I'm gonna have more time to work on this in a near future.

10. DennG

DennG

Great.
    Can't wait to see it :D

Jolkio likes this.
  11. Jolkio

Jolkio

Third Part.

12. Jolkio

Jolkio

13. DennG

DennG

Awesome fight :D
    Are you planing to do melee weapons?

The character looks pretty good. Could you tell me something about your workflow?
    What programs you use and how you did the texturing...

14. Jolkio

Jolkio

Thanks! :D I have thought about it. Some how throwing tons of stuff at enemies feels a little too comic :D

Well this model I made almost completely with zbrush. It's really still just a placeholder and it has a terrible topology. Textures where done in photoshop. Baked color and ambient occlusion maps mixed with some textures from cgtextures. I think I'll do the whole modeling and texturing all over again at some point.

The main character also needs to be redone, I think.

For everything else I've just used blender and photoshop. All the props are in one 2048x2048 texture atlas and characters have their own 1024x1024 maps.

15. DennG

DennG

Yeah.. the fight was kinda funny :D
    You should try Substance Painter for Texturing. It's awesome.
    It can also bake out all the maps for you.

Jolkio likes this.
  16. Jolkio

Jolkio

Yeah... the program looks great and the price isn't that bad either. Got to try it out at some point!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    DennG likes this.
  17. Jolkio

Jolkio

It's been a long time since I made my last update but I have been working on this project quite intensely. Reason for why I haven't been doing any updates is that I was for a short time working on another project and after that I started working on this one again. I had some difficulties executing my original concept so I decided to start all over again. This time I've been using Adventure Creator to deal with most of the mechanics. Also my concept has changed quite drastically but I'm not going to tell allot of it yet because there's a great change they will still change allot.

Here are some changes:

-The setting is now Hotel Pine Lake Inn.
    -Only enemies are now all sorts of illnesses and your characters paranoid imagination.
    -Main elements of the gameplay are now fulfilling needs and puzzle solving.

Here are some new screenshots:

Attached Files:

18. Jolkio

Jolkio

And few more

Attached Files:

19. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The grainy effect on the scene is quite interesting. Is that just a built in effect in Unity, an asset or custom made?

Do you care to elaborate on the difficulties you encountered, and what was end results that you couldn't overcome that ultimately lead to you using Adventure Creator?
    How has AC helped you overcome the difficulties you encountered?
    Based on the changes you listed, why are there no enemies to speak of? Generally interested in your response.

Jolkio likes this.
  20. Jolkio

Jolkio

The grain effect is just a basic unity Noise and Grain effect. I have to say that, now that I look at my screenshots it makes still images look really blurry.

The main reason why I decided to start all over using AC is that I discovered how unbelievably big and time consuming process it would be to carry out my original plan, especially when I'm not much of a coder. There where still allot of things I didn't know how to execute. For example I have no idea how I would have saved transforms of every single pickup item if I picked them up in one scene and left them in another. I also started having troubles with keeping up with my scripts because I was learning as I went and didn't have everything so well organised from the start. In any case I think I should have started the project from a scratch anyway. I bet there would have been allot of issues that I can't even think of yet. AC lets me to skip straight to content creation while still giving really flexible base to work on.

Concerning enemies, I'm not sure how can I make them using AC or how to implement enemies I have already made. Also since I already gave up with idea of using any item as your weapon, picking them up and dropping as you like, I still wanted to do something differently than in old survival horrors. I was hoping I could make engaging gameplay without enemies and the sense of danger and unease just with possibility of death and a little bit of uncertainty of what causes it. Chances are this is going to be just annoying and then I'm going to have to rethink about the enemies.

This project has drifted now quite far from old survival horrors and I should probably do some changes to the starting post. Now it seems that my prior goal is to get it ready someday as good as possible without sacrificing my whole life to it :D

Thanks for good questions!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  21. Jolkio

Jolkio

New gameplay video

22. Huknar

Huknar

The changes you've made look really impressive! The game feels really interesting now.

If you don't mind sharing, I wonder whether you could talk me through your lighting. The scenes look really beautiful. They feature extensive AO and dynamic shadows.

Are you baking your lighting and using realtime point lights? Light probes? Or is there some other technique you are following.

There's a certain pre-rendered sheen your game has that is really attractive and I just can't help wondering how you achieved such beautiful visuals.

Speaking as someone who is also working on a Silent Hill-inspired project. :)

theANMATOR2b and Jolkio like this.
  23. Jolkio

Jolkio

Thanks! Great to hear it looks interesting!

My lighting setup is pretty much basic unity setup only without skybox. Also, from Baked GI my Ambient Occlusion is 5 and max distance 3. I also have final gather tagged on and ray count 1024. I really don't have idea if this is the most optimal setup or anything, or how much does it differ from basic settings. It's just something that I was testing on start of the project and settings have just been like that ever since.

Most of my lights are real time point lights but I also have some baked ones. You could say that all the biggest light sources are real time. Even though I have very little amount of baked lights, most of my objects are set to Lightmap Static.

I'm not using any light probes at the moment, but I'm using reflection probes. About one probe per room.

On top of that I have all kinds of Image effects from SSAO to really strong vignette, different color corrections and bloom effect.

I guess that's about it.

Great! Would love to follow if there was a W.I.P thread of it!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  24. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Will this come to ps4 too? :)
    It looks great and you've got a very eerie atmosphere already.

Jolkio likes this.
  25. Huknar

Huknar

Thanks for sharing that.

There is no thread on my project yet. I've considered making one though, so you may see something crop up soon. :)

Jolkio likes this.
  26. Jolkio

Jolkio

Thanks! Well, I've been dreaming about it comming to both ps4 and xbox one :D and my control scheme already works best with controller. But I haven't looked into platforms that much yet and since this is my first real attempt to make a full game i'll but all my focuse on getting it done first :)

PhoenixRising1 likes this.
  27. Jolkio

Jolkio

Fatigue is now on Steam Greenlight Concepts. Votes given to it will not yet affect on it's changes to get on steam, but should offer me some data on it's changes to get through. Though it seems no one is really watching those concepts, so it is hard to get any reliable data :D

Greenlight Draft can be found here

There is also small pre-alpha demo coming out soon and I will be needing some testers. If you're interested in taking part PM me :)

28. Theoutcastgamersofficial

Theoutcastgamersofficial

Wow this game looks really really good! Good job man!

We would love to showcase it on our channel to get some more publicity around it!

If you are interested you can contact us through our business email, which is located on our profile page!

Jolkio likes this.
  29. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

The music reminds me a lot of silent hill. Looks so damn good.

Jolkio likes this.
  30. Jolkio

Jolkio

Thanks!

I'd love to see you showcase the game but I think it's not quite in the showcase condition yet. I'll keep your proposition in mind though, and will contact you when the time is right.

31. Jolkio

Jolkio

I was looking for a bit same kind of vibe in the music as there is on White Noiz, so I guess that explains it :D
    Thanks. I've put allot of work on graphics.

PhoenixRising1 likes this.
  32. Jolkio

Jolkio

Fatigue is now on Steam Greenlight!

Please, check it out and give your
    vote!