Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug FATAL: Unity requires internet connection to function properly

Discussion in '2022.2 Beta' started by Rowlan, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I just installed an asset and was wondering why the menus didn't appear. All I saw in the console was an unrelated error as listed below. I didn't associate the missing menus with that error. However after all tries failed I disabled some firewall settings. And all of a sudden everything worked as expected.

That's a FATAL error, that's absolutely unacceptable.

Here's the stack:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Unhandled Exception: Grpc.Core.RpcException: Status(StatusCode="Internal", Detail="Error starting gRPC call. HttpRequestException: Requesting HTTP version 2.0 with version policy RequestVersionOrHigher while unable to establish HTTP/2 connection.", DebugException="System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Requesting HTTP version 2.0 with version policy RequestVersionOrHigher while unable to establish HTTP/2 connection.
    2.   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.ThrowGetVersionException(HttpRequestMessage, Int32) + 0x80
    3.   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.<SendWithVersionDetectionAndRetryAsync>d__83.MoveNext() + 0xb7d
    4. --- End of stack trace from previous location ---
    5.   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() + 0x20
    6.   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task) + 0xb6
    7.   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task) + 0x42
    8.   at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.<SendAsync>d__4.MoveNext() + 0x1f0
    9. --- End of stack trace from previous location ---
    10.   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() + 0x20
    11.   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task) + 0xb6
    12.   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task) + 0x42
    13.   at Grpc.Net.Client.Internal.GrpcCall`2.<RunCall>d__72.MoveNext() + 0xf01")
    14.    at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() + 0x20
    15.    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task) + 0xb6
    16.    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task) + 0x42
    17.    at Grpc.Net.Client.Internal.Retry.RetryCallBase`2.<GetResponseAsync>d__63.MoveNext() + 0x1c8
    18. --- End of stack trace from previous location ---
    19.    at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() + 0x20
    20.    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task) + 0xb6
    21.    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task) + 0x42
    22.    at Unity.ILPP.Trigger.TriggerApp.<ProcessArgumentsAsync>d__1.MoveNext() + 0x4cf
    23. --- End of stack trace from previous location ---
    24.    at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() + 0x20
    25.    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task) + 0xb6
    26.    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task) + 0x42
    27.    at Unity.ILPP.Trigger.TriggerApp.<RunAsync>d__0.MoveNext() + 0xdc
    28. --- End of stack trace from previous location ---
    29.    at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() + 0x20
    30.    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task) + 0xb6
    31.    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task) + 0x42
    32.    at Program.<<Main>$>d__0.MoveNext() + 0x153
    33. --- End of stack trace from previous location ---
    34.    at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() + 0x20
    35.    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task) + 0xb6
    36.    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task) + 0x42
    37.    at Program.<Main>(String[]) + 0x20
    38.    at Unity.ILPP.Trigger!<BaseAddress>+0x58be5f
    Happened in 2022.2.0b12 and 2022.2.0b4.

reinfeldx likes this.
  2. simon-ferquel-unity

simon-ferquel-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Rowlan, sorry about that, we recently changed ILPP infrastructure to make it more scalable by running it in a side car daemon process.
    This process Listens for GRPC connections over Named Pipes on Windows, or Unix Socket on Mac and Linux.
    2 questions to try to solve this issue for you:
    - What OS are you running ? Windows ?
    - Per chance, is there any HTTP proxy setup on your machine ? There is a chance it might trigger some issue there.

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

Windows. And yes, it's an office laptop with firewall / proxy setup. The application responsible is ZScaler:

https://www.zscaler.com/

Normally setup via admins. If I disable that application's Internet Security feature, everything works fine. I'm lucky to have admin rights and can do so, most don't have. So that's a critical issue imo.

Otherwise everything works, I can login to Unity, can download assets from the store, etc.

4. simon-ferquel-unity

simon-ferquel-unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for confirming this intuition. I'll file a bug, and will be able to share with you a custom build of ILPP client, to check if that solves the issue.

Rowlan likes this.