Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatal Error!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by swogdog, Aug 7, 2013.

1. swogdog

swogdog

I keep getting a Fatal Error!

"The current working directory was changed from your Unity project folder located at 'D:/xxxx/xxxx/xxxx' to 'C:/Users/xxxx/Desktop'. This is not allowed! If you are setting the current working directory from script temporarily, then please make sure to set it back to the Unity project folder immediately after you are done."

I've been getting this on and off on clean installs and everything. Is it because my projects and editor are located on different drives? It tends to happen when I switch to a different task in Windows, for example, I switch to my web browser and back. It also tends to do it when I try to import a custom package or load a different scene or create a new animation (there's gotta be a pattern here, I just don't know what it is). As long as I stay in Unity and just deal with current assets, it seems fine.

I've seen some similar posts, but most of them were very old and looked unresolved. This is really hurting my productivity.

Any help would be fantastic!

2. nosebleed_dre

nosebleed_dre

I've been getting the same error. We're using Perforce for source control and we have the project running on a mirrored drive (X: being a mirror of C:\Users\Public\Documents\XXX\PROJECT_NAME, which are the two biggest suspects at the moment. Oddly I'm the only one in the studio with this problem, despite having the same setup as everyone else. I saw a post about halfway down this thread that might be of use, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/38065-Fatal-error-working-directory-changed! but I'm still narrowing the problem down. Any other help appreciated.

[edit] While it's not exactly a "fix" a workaround that seems to be working for me is to rename the project folder, so when unity opens you open what essentially appears as a new project.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  3. Jarkko P

Jarkko P

I had this same problem just now and reading your post got me clue. I got this error because i used ä and ö letters in my filename. I'm from finland so we use these letters, but Unity doesn't understand them. So if you are useing letters that are not native english, it might cause this problem.

4. Phong

Phong

I just got this error on Windows 10. Deleting the temp folder in the project I was trying to open worked for me.