Search Unity

Bug Fatal error with WebGL running on iOS16 beta?

Discussion in 'Web' started by OceanX000, Jul 14, 2022.

1. OceanX000

OceanX000

We recently had player feedback that the game cannot be opened in the latest iOS 16 beta version. We conducted relevant tests and found that even if the empty project generated by Unity2021, it cannot be opened normally on iOS 16. The browser page has been refreshed and displayed a problem.
    The empty game url is: https://www.oooceanworld.com/testios16

We suspect that this is related to the number of wasm functions, because we found that the game can start by reducing the number of wasm functions for empty project. But the full project still cannot be reduced to the point where it can be started.
    This is a serious problem, if it persists after the release of iOS 16. Hope to help find out the reason

2. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

I will look into this. I'm still on the latest 15.6. I sure hope they didn't break WebGL again.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    De-Panther likes this.
  3. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

There's definitely a serious problem going on with iOS 16. We'll get this escalated with Apple.

4. De-Panther

De-Panther

Is there a possible temp solution for this as well?

5. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@De-Panther I'm looking but haven't found one yet. I'm about to submit the bug report to Apple and we'll get that escalated. I'll continue trying to find a work-around, but I don't know if I'll get lucky like I did with the 15.4 crash.

De-Panther likes this.
  6. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

I have the bug filed with Apple, https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=242912. And we'll push on them through all the channels we can to get this resolved. It is a critical issue, we do not want to be in the situation we were in with iOS 15.4!

M-SugayaTakuma and unityruba like this.
  7. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

Looks like Apple has it fixed. The fix should get out in an upcoming beta release.

8. OceanX000

OceanX000

Thanks for such a quick response, really love you:D

unityruba and brendanduncan_u3d like this.
  9. M-SugayaTakuma

M-SugayaTakuma

I tested on iOS16 beta4 and the WebGL game works.
    Thank you for your quick support.
    However, compared to iOS15.5, WebGL games seem to run slower on iOS16 and the device feels hotter.
    I have not yet measured this problem accurately, but I think something critical is going on.

10. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

I just got the new beta installed and also found they fixed the crash. I'll keep an eye on the performance. Apple is making frequent updates to the Metal backend of WebGL. They cherry pick changes from the desktop WebKit into the iOS branch, and sometimes miss things. That's what happened in iOS 15.4 that caused a bunch of WebGL graphics issues. You can test Safari Technical Preview on MacOS, which is also 16.0, and see if the issue is iOS specific or also on MacOS. We all have to keep an eye on Apple, they like to break things.

Thaina, dinkelstefan and De-Panther like this.
  11. george_playbite

george_playbite

@brendanduncan_u3d I just upgraded my phone to 16.1.1 and there seems to be some performance degradation issue during game runtime. At certain points in several of my games (that run smoothly on 16.1 and prior), there's a bit of a glitch/tear/lag that is visible. Are you aware of any issues?

12. darashayda

darashayda

WebGL builds for 2022.2.1f1 on iOS 16.2 fails, also fails for previous builds on 2022.1.0b14 which were working just fine.

Seems vesion 16.2 of iOS and Unity WebGL builds are not compatible to even load!

13. Johannski

Johannski

I built for both 2022.2.0f1 and 2022.2.2f1 and in general they work on iOS 16.2. You can try the builds here: https://deml.io/experiments/unity-webgl/

There are sadly some problems with combinations of Builtin renderpipeline with WebGL2 and URP with WebGL1 that don't work, for more information take a look at this post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/webgl-builds-for-mobile.545877/page-2#post-8658513

Thaina and darashayda like this.
  14. darashayda

darashayda

OMG, I was in despair and much obliged to thank you! I will study your valuable findings and get back to you if not here elsewhere as you wish.

We have such time deadlines that I cannot deal with another mishap with Unity!

We need the WEBGL for our wiki documentation system to match actual micro games to man pages to benefit our programmers.

Will review and respond, thank you again

Johannski likes this.
  15. Thaina

Thaina

darashayda and Johannski like this.
  16. darashayda

darashayda

I 2nd that!

Johannski likes this.