Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatal Error! Support for build target platform 'standaloneosxuniversal' is not installed.

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by pixelsplit, Dec 1, 2016.

1. pixelsplit

pixelsplit

Hi,

since yesterday - or our upgrade to 5.5 - we get this error message:
    Fatal Error! Support for build target platform 'standaloneosxuniversal' is not installed.

Windows does also not work anymore, "Failed with 13 errors" which are not visible in the change log (or not highlightet).

What is causing this? Any ETA for a fix?

Best regards
    zkw

2. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

Which version of 5.5? And can you send me a link to the project so I can investigate?

3. pixelsplit

pixelsplit

The version is the 5.5f3 one. I'll send you the details via PM.

4. GilCat

GilCat

I do get the same error plus other at random Times.
    I have created a thread about it here

5. Emiles

Emiles

I've just had a successful build myself using Clean Build. The build after that (started from a git commit) failed. Just waiting to see if a further build is successful or not. I'm building for Mac 64, but the windows build is behaving in a similar fashion. A Clean build works ok.

Edit:
    Under Config i've set the "Cache Library" option to false to see if builds work. Not ideal but avoids the error as far as I can tell.

Build Target
    Target Name Default Mac desktop 64-bit
    Platform standaloneosxintel64
    Repo branch master
    Sub-folder
    Unity version Unity 5.5.0f3
    Auto-Build true

Short version of the success logs

1: No Library cache found - ALL assets will be re-imported.
    2: [Unity] Fatal Error! Support for build target platform 'standaloneosxintel64' is not installed.
    3: [Unity] Initialize engine version: 5.5.0f3 (38b4efef76f0)
    4: [Unity] UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    ...various warning messages.

172: [Unity] Finished exporting player successfully.

251: publishing finished successfully.
    252: Finished: SUCCESS

Short version of the Fail Logs

1: [Unity] Fatal Error! Support for build target platform 'standaloneosxintel64' is not installed.
    2: [Unity] Initialize engine version: 5.5.0f3 (38b4efef76f0)
    3: [Unity] UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)

301: [Unity] WARNING: BC6H/BC7 texture format is not supported, decompressing texture
    302: [Unity] ArgumentException: The Assembly UnityEditor is referenced by Assembly-CSharp-firstpass ('Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll'). But the dll is not allowed to be included or could not be found.
    303: [Unity] UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    304: [Unity] Player export failed. Reason: Extracting referenced dlls failed.
    305: ! build of 'default-mac-desktop-64-bit' failed. compile failed
    306: publishing finished successfully.
    307: Finished: FAILURE

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  6. pixelsplit

pixelsplit

For us it started working yesterday night - no one knows why. The indeterminism is high here ...

7. Emiles

Emiles

Setting the Library Cache to off worked for me. but obviously my builds are now stupidly slow.

GilCat likes this.
  8. PhilMcJ

PhilMcJ

Unity Technologies

We think we may have identified the issue - a test project here for Mac 64bit is now repeatedly succeeding with an existing library cache with 5.5.0f3. If anyone continues to see problems in this scenario (5.5.0f3, Mac64, library cache enabled) please pass the word - more details to follow if that holds up.

9. PhilMcJ

PhilMcJ

Unity Technologies

In overnight testing and monitoring this still appears to be fixed - again, if anyone sees this error again, please weigh in.

For the curious (or anyone who runs into this error!), running Unity 5.5.0f3 on a Mac on a case-sensitive filesystem, you'll need to symlink Unity.app/Contents/PlaybackEngines/macstandalonesupport to "MacStandaloneSupport". If not, a first build will succeed, but reusing the library won't work. We're getting that addressed for future 5.5.x releases now.

10. playsidepaul

playsidepaul

I had this issue trying to open an old project in 5.5.2f1. Turns out Unity Hub had gotten the license into a confused state between the different versions of Unity I have installed (2017.x and 5.x)

Closed Unity Hub, opened Unity 5.5.2 on its own (without a project), it prompted me to sign in and put in the license key again. Then it was happy after that.

yasirkula and noemis like this.
  11. noemis

noemis

Thank you for reporting. This helped me, after I saw the error:

build target platform android could not be used

I couldn't start an old project with 5.6.7 (installed with unity hub) - Started manual, activate license and it worked.