Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatal Error - Size overflow in allocator

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by ikdd88, May 14, 2020.

1. ikdd88

ikdd88

Hi, I can build Tiny3D on preview 0.25, but when I try to do any changes to the scene or even just click on one of the game objects I get Fatal Error Size Overflow in Allocator. I would appreciate some help on how to solve this. Thanks!
    upload_2020-5-14_11-38-39.png

2. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello @cdorik,
    Could you walk us through the steps you took to see this error, and also let us know which version of Unity you are using.

Thanks!

3. Bladgharm

Bladgharm

Hello @Ted_Wikman,
    Have same issue when trying to open ProjectTinySamples - TinyRacing. Using Unity 2019.3.13f1.
    Steps to reproduse: Copy prject from repo -> Open project in unity -> Try to open scene "TinyRacing" (another way try to open/close DOTS Subscene in Hierarchy view) and i got same error as @cdorik.
    Also same errors in other ProjectTinySamples.
    UPD: Same issues on Unity 2019.3.14f1

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  4. surits14

surits14

I get the same error as well. Whenever I hit the Play button I get this fatal error.

5. surits14

surits14

Any luck figuring out a fix for this??

6. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello @Bladgharm and @surits14 ,
    Sorry for a late reply. This is an issue we want to take a look at, but currently have too little information to go on.
    Could you file a bug report and post the bug report id, then we can dig into the project to see if we can get a reproducible example.

Thanks!

7. webrosfahim

webrosfahim

Any Tiny working project or package available. Suggest me best version of tiny project for unity 2019.3.13f1 or 2019.3.3f1

8. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

9. webrosfahim

webrosfahim

I tired with this sample project, followed to built \Assets\BuildConfigurations\Windows-DotNet.. Results me built error.. Attaching errors hereafter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  10. aveakrause

aveakrause

I received the same error, but not in Tiny, just normal DOTS. Loading my level1 scene would throw it and crash it. No idea how I fixed it, it just kinda started working again. I think it is being caused by one of the dependency packages. 2019.3.14f1 was my Unity version when I saw it. I think I have video footage of it on my Twitch stream... Showed up after I tried to do a build. (I still have not been able to get the build to work. It finishes with a success, but when I launch, it shows the Unity logo then hard crashes with no logs to go off of. Subscenes REALLY make building a PITA. Overall, I HATEEEEEEEE the subscene workflow. I just want Folders to organize)

11. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

@webrosfahim, thank you for the screenshots. Have you downloaded and installed the following requirements?
    • Visual Studio 2019
    • Desktop development with C++
    • .NET desktop development
    • Windows 10 SDK

@aveakrause, do you have any logs from when your build crashes on startup? That would be very useful for us to take a look at.

Thanks to both of you for testing Project Tiny out and giving us some good feedback, this helps us create a more solid base.

12. aveakrause

aveakrause

I do not. I'm sorry. It gave me basically no information to go off of, then automagically fixed itself. I reviewed my stream as well, something weird happened where everything went white when I pressed play (after the build failed), then when I exited playmode, it threw the error. When I reopened Unity, it seemed to fix. I received it again later in the day (that was when trying to open the scene rather than on exiting playmode). I'm fairly sure it has something to do with subscenes.

13. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Thanks @aveakrause. Let us know if you encounter this issue again. We'll keep an eye out for it.

aveakrause likes this.
  14. VReynaert

VReynaert

Hello,

I have the same error by trying to follow this tuto on DOTS

I tried to use subscenes like in the video but same fatal error.
    So I tried to delete the subscenes and use convertEntities and always fatal error !
    What's strange is that I follow others tutos with 2019.3.5 and use convertEntities without problems
    Here I use unity 2019.3.14f1 with this versions of packages :
    upload_2020-6-13_14-35-3.png

15. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello @VReynaert,
    I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties getting your Dots project to run. Since there are multiple errors being described in this thread, could you provide the following information:
    - Post the errors in full, with stack trace and all
    - Write down the steps you took to see these errors

With this information we can more easily figure out what goes wrong.
    Thank you!

16. Superior-of-lastest

Superior-of-lastest

Hey,I was test the mistake about size overflow in allocator,first i thought it was caused by the Prefab,but when i change the prefab or delete it,it still happened.The I thought the Project was created in the Universal Pender Pipline,maybe it was caused by the incompatibility of the SRP,so i change the material to the Built-In Render Pipeline with standard defult material,then it run well without error happen.Is that means the DOTS was still incompatibility with SRP??

17. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Thank you @Superior-of-lastest for digging into this issue.
    So you were using URP material with your renderers. This caused the size overflow in allocator error.
    When do you see this error showing up?

You changed these materials into using the Standard Default shader from the built-in pipeline, and then the error did not show up anymore.
    Is this correct?

Project Tiny is compatible with a subset of the Universal Rendering Pipeline's (URP) feature set.
    What shader were you using when you were seeing this error?

18. Superior-of-lastest

Superior-of-lastest

I am using the Shader Graph generate the shader to create the Material,could it possible the incompatibility with the Shader Graph and DOTS?

19. aveakrause

aveakrause

I use shader graph and DOTS with URP just fine.

20. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

So for hybrid DOTS (using hybrid rendering pipeline), shader graph shaders should work.
    For Project Tiny, only the following shaders are supported:

3D:
    • Universal Render Pipeline/Unlit
    • Universal Render Pipeline/Lit
    • Universal Render Pipeline/Particles/Unlit
    • Universal Render Pipeline/Particles/Lit
    And for 2D:
    • Sprites/Default
    • Universal Render Pipeline/2D/Sprite-Lit-Default
    I noticed that this is not mentioned in our google doc, so this should be added there as well.

The list of supported shaders will be improved in future versions of Project Tiny

21. kaushaldave

kaushaldave

I have gone through the same error in 2020.1.1f.

I tried removing the "Temp" and "Library" folders in the project. After removing these folders I run the project and it creates new Temp and Library folders.

And it works...Initially, I thought that it will affect my work but it's working properly now.

StellarVeil likes this.
  22. StellarVeil

StellarVeil

For me it was a corrupt/obsolete asset I imported, deleting it directly through Windows (not inside Unity as it doesn't open) solved the problem.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  23. damir_2009

damir_2009

Me too same problem on 2019.4.8

24. MikeBastien

MikeBastien

If you're on Windows try this:

Close the editor and any other open programs.

1. In Windows Explorer, right-click on the drive where your Unity installation is.
    2. Select 'Properties'.
    3. Select the 'Tools' tab.
    4. In the 'Error Checking' section click on the 'Check' button.

Depending on your system you may get 1 or 2 different options.

Either way, scan your drive for errors and fix them.

Do the same after to the drive for your project if it happens to be on a different drive.

Try the editor / project again now.

Sometimes you may have corrupted data / sectors / etc.

25. jdtec

jdtec

I was getting the size overflow in allocator error. The editor log showed it crashing in a native multihashmap I was using for a physics spatial partition, however, I don't think that had anything to do with it.

It always happened on instantiating the same entity.

In the end it was an asset issue similar to the others. This is what I did:

1) Changed the mesh slightly in blender and re-exported the fbx (may or may not have been necessary)
    2) Reimported (deleted old Unity metadata file manually)

This fixed it.

26. LambentGTX

LambentGTX

C:/Users/OurProfile/AppData/Local/Temp/Unity/EditorLog.txt :))) скопируйте «распределитель переполнения размера» и найдите в EditorLog.txt.

bepardo likes this.