Search Unity

Fatal error in GC

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Krileon, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Krileon

Krileon

Unity keeps crashing with "Fatal error in GC" in a popup as the title and "GetThreadContext failed" as the body. This has been rather sudden as has been working for months without problems. The last things done were updated Avast to version 8, but I already have Unity and my project added as exceptions in addition to that I've tried disabling Avast entirely. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I can't work on my project but for a couple minutes before it happens.

2. Krileon

Krileon

Ok, there was a windows update available. Updated and it seams to be gone for now. Will report back if it shows up again.

3. Krileon

Krileon

It's back, so guess that wasn't a fix.

4. BigB

BigB

This may be dependent on the size of the project (mine was quite big) , I had to completely give up compiling or building by project on my PC.
    Luckily I have a Mac, and the same project on the Mac compiles and builds fine.
    If you have access to a Mac, maybe you could give it a go.

5. Krileon

Krileon

My project is a little over 800mb, which doesn't seam like a lot for a game. I'm not switching OS for this; if it came to that then Unity can happily refund my $1,500 and i'll move to an engine that works. So hopefully this is just some silly bug or outside conflict.

6. Krileon

Krileon

Seams Avast was the culprit. Completely uninstalled it and gameplay ran for 5 minutes with no issues. Was crashing within 30sec-1min of gameplay before. So if anyone has Avast do NOT upgrade to Avast 8; stay with 7.

7. jrminor3d

jrminor3d

Just wanted to stop by and say I had the same issue. Uninstalled Avast 8 and no more crashing.

8. RGravity

RGravity

I was getting this also (posted in another thread) and I got an Avast update today for Google Chrome, installed the update and not getting the error now so fingers crossed it is fixed.

9. Krileon

Krileon

What's strange is I added Unity to the global exclusion list and everything yet it still happened. It even happened after disabling all the scanning shields. Only solution was to flat out uninstall. I've always liked Avast, but Avast 8 has become far too aggressive; sure I don't want a virus, but I don't want Avast rendering my system useless either by crashing processes. For now I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials, which is less aggressive and will still give some protection until Avast sorts their issues out. Would be nice if they let you download previous versions as Avast 7 had no issues.

10. VirtualSUN

VirtualSUN

Avast! It's all problems in Avast!
    @#$% - that's bad words.

Couple hours ago my Avast have updated to 8. And and from that time I look for answer! @#$%

What antivirus better to install?

11. Kaze_Senshi

Kaze_Senshi

Bleh I always used Avast and I don't want to stop to use it because of other program crashing? Someone knows why exactly Avast make Unity crash? I am having this problem here too.

12. Forgon

Forgon

Apperantly it is also reported on the avast forums in this thread. I am using avast 8 as well and unity still crashes every now and then.

13. Kaze_Senshi

Kaze_Senshi

14. PolyMad

PolyMad

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  15. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I also get that with ESET. I wasn't getting that error with unity 3.5 though.

16. Rollboy0

Rollboy0

I found a way on wich the problem does not persist anymore
    this works for me and I'm using Unity 3.5

Try disabling only Avast script execution, I think that is because unity works with script integration

17. Silviu_00

Silviu_00