Search Unity

FastGUI - The perfect solution for GUI Placement form Photoshop to Unity3D | RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by badawe, Oct 26, 2012.

1. lggmonclar

lggmonclar

KroniK, could you send me your psd file? It might be easier for us to debug with a psd that has been getting errors.

I'll send you a PM with my email.

2. OldBard

OldBard

Hey guys, any news on the fixes?

Thanks.

3. lggmonclar

lggmonclar

Hey everyone.

After reviewing once more the issues on FastGUI, we detected the problem. It resides with the process of adding the sprites to the atlas. While we fix the FastGUI script that does this automatically, there's a temporary way to make it work:

1. Add all the sprites to the atlas using NGUI's Atlas Maker
    2. FastGUI the folder after the atlas has been updated.

This will ensure that all the images are already in the atlas before FastGUI creates and positions the widgets for your interface.

Hopefully we will get this issue sorted out very soon, but until then, please use this temporary fix.

4. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

I've sent you my PSD as requested quite a while ago... never heard a response. I've gotten some success out of this temporary fix, any word on a ETA for the next update? Would love to have the full functionality of this powerful tool.

5. Mohrlan

Mohrlan

I've been having troubles similar to what others have described, though I may have some helpful observations, both for workarounds, as well as for helping identify bug fixes. I have Unity 4.1.2f1, NGUI v2.6.2, FastGUI v1.3.2, and Photoshop CS2. I am running all on Windows 7 Pro. I purchased NGUI and FastGUI two days ago, but I have just started working with them today.

After a clean import of NGUI and FastGUI, the "Export Widgets" button doesn't do anything. When I run the "FastGUIExporter" script via the ExtendScript Toolkit, I see it stops executing at line 516 - it seems it's unhappy with "progressWindow.update()". When I comment out that line and the other progressWindow.... line above it, "Export Widgets" is happy, and the widgets export fine.

It seems the "FastGUI it" command will not demonstrate the "missing 2d texture" error others have mentioned if you *always* set the "Target Atlas" to "None" just before clicking the "FastGUI it" button. I think this just means you will have an extra texture page.

The "ibtn_....." widget seems to work as expected.

The "inp_..." and "txt_..." widgets seem to work differently than described. If I try to specify a pre-existing font in the Typeface folder, the text is invisible. If I name the layer group something arbitrary like "txt_asdf" or "inp_ddddd", both controls work as expected, though with 2 unexpected results:
    1. "FastGUI it" creates a new Typeface entry for each, named whatever follows the "inp_" or "txt_" prefix, e.g. a layer group named "inp_asdfasdf" results in a typeface called "asdfasdf"; a layer group named "inp_asdfasdf_asdf" results in a new typeface called "asdfasdf_asdf", and these can be shared with other "txt_..." or "inp_..." layer groups. It seems the actual fonts need to be in the Typeface folder though, even though you can't seem to reference them directly. (I am referring to the fonts included with the FastGUI package install). The first time I run "FastGUI it", there is a message asking if I really want to replace the contents of the font with my own..." (something like that).
    2. You have to move the resulting widgets closer to the camera in order to see them (layer number changes have no effect). In my case I just have to set the z axis value to something negative (closer to camera). Also, the resulting widgets are shifted down the y axis some fairly consistent amount.

Note, before running "FastGUI it" I am deleting any previous FastGUI-created items from the hierarchy. When I don't, I end up with an extra set of items, with the additional sets offset in strange places, usually down the y-axis a bit. After running "FastGUI it", each time there is an additional empty folder called "Source x", with x incrementing.

The "sld_" widget works clear through, though the resulting widget is not in the expected position - you have to move it to where you really want it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  6. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Very helpful breakdown. Thanks for sharing.
    I used the workaround listed by the devs that you create the atlas first with NGUI and then use the import tool, and it seems to work relatively smoothly. The part about the ExtendScript error, do you think that it could be something that was not included in CS2? It worked fine in CS5, with the exception of a few crashes here and there.

I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed that the developers stopped appearing on here and giving updates. It's been quite a while with no real progress, just some workarounds!

7. Mohrlan

Mohrlan

I think that is the case, because the CS2 scripting reference didn't seem to mention the progressWindow object.

8. yung

yung

Hi there,

I bought and tried fastGUI but on a clean import of NGUI and fastgui I am get this error

commenting out that line will remove that error but if I don't do that, the fastgui panel will not appear. Is this a known bug?

9. ArenMook

ArenMook

MakePositionPerfect() was removed in NGUI as it's not needed anymore.

10. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

hi,

I am new in fast GUI,when I am creating new ui everything good,but when i am trying to update my old ngui layout,then sprite change its potions automatic.
    please help how to i solve this issue.

Dev

11. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

12. Tripwire

Tripwire

So i managed to get a clean export from PhotoShop. But when I FastGUI it, i get this error:
    Code (csharp):
    2. MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Texture2D' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    3. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    4. UnityEngine.Texture.get_width ()
    5. UIAtlasMaker.PackTextures (UnityEngine.Texture2D tex, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 sprites) (at Assets/Editor/NGUI/UIAtlasMaker.cs:150)
    6. UIAtlasMaker.UpdateTexture (.UIAtlas atlas, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 sprites) (at Assets/Editor/NGUI/UIAtlasMaker.cs:519)
    7. UIAtlasMaker.UpdateAtlas (.UIAtlas atlas, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 sprites) (at Assets/Editor/NGUI/UIAtlasMaker.cs:610)
    8. UIAtlasMaker.AddOrUpdate (.UIAtlas atlas, UnityEngine.Texture2D tex) (at Assets/Editor/NGUI/UIAtlasMaker.cs:567)
    9. FastGUIPostProcessing.CreateImageButton (.XMLNode pNode, .UIPanel pTargetRootPannel, UnityEngine.Transform pLastAnchor, System.String pLastAnchorPath) (at Assets/Editor/FastGUI/Unity/FastGUIPostProcessing.cs:685)
    10. FastGUI.ParseeTargetFolder () (at Assets/Editor/FastGUI/Unity/FastGUI.cs:228)
    11. FastGUI.OnGUI () (at Assets/Editor/FastGUI/Unity/FastGUI.cs:157)
    12. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/b59ae78cff80e584/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Does the company actually still exist? Because the website is down :(

EDIT:
    So I went back to an older version of FastGUI and NGUI and now it works :) only one question though. How do you use multiple texts with the same font?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  13. badawe

badawe

Hello Everyone!
    First of all, I want do say sorry for the long time away the forum, the company responsable for the FastGUI no longer exist, and I don't know of what is going to be of the FastGUI.
    By now I'll try to get the long time wasted, and try to help everyone who still have some kind of problems, but I can't get the answers fast enough.

But I swear, I'll try help everyone around who still have some kind of problems with NGUI.

The first thing to say is, I've just fixed some issues with FastGUI with the last version of NGUI, and everything looks fine here. I've tested on:
    Unity 4.1.2f, with NGUI 2.6.3! On Mac and PC.

The update will be alive in the next 48 hours max.

Sorry about this guys, this is something i really don't expect!

If anyone urgent need the last update, drop me a email at: badawe[at]gmail.com

14. Tripwire

Tripwire

@badawe, i don't know if you updatet the version (1.3.2 now use) but it's working fine for me now :) Only one little bug. The FastGUIData.xml is saved in the documents folder instead of the folder used by FastGUI

15. badawe

badawe

Thanks for the information! I´ll work on this asap.

16. Tripwire

Tripwire

@badawe, i've updated to the latest version and on my mac the xml file still get's saved in the documents folder instead of the project folder. Everything else works perfectly :)

I have a question though, does FastGUI support Dynamic Fonts?

17. badawe

badawe

The popup of FastGUI exporter in photoshop, don´t let you choose where you gonna save?
    The FastGUI support dynamics fonts, but you need create then by yourself.

18. merlin981

merlin981

After you select Widgets or Sprites from the popup, it will then ask you where to save

19. Tripwire

Tripwire

It does show where i want to save the Widgets/Sprites but the xml file still saves in my documents folder instead of the folder i chose to save my widgets/sprites in.

20. badawe

badawe

Wow.. that's is strange.
    Can you please tell me your configurations? OS? Unity version, Photoshop version

21. amreed3D

amreed3D

Whenever we create a vertical slider the thumbnail jumps past 100%. How do you create a vertical slider so that it respects the correct float space between 1.0-0.0.

22. merlin981

merlin981

I have the same issue, in Unity 4.2

23. merlin981

merlin981

So, the issue is in how in FastGUI sets the values on the UISlider component. I found a manual workaround for now:

After you import all your NGUI objects, expand the sld_* GameObject. Drag the Foreground sprite to the "Foreground" property, and the Thumb sprite to the "Thumb" property.

Screenshot below:

Attached Files:

24. Tripwire

Tripwire

Sorry about the late reply!
    Unity version: 4.2.0f4
    Photoshop version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64

I hope this helps :).

25. joemukai

joemukai

Does FastGUI support NGUI version 3? When I import FastGUI in unity I am getting the following error:

Assets/FastGUI/Scripts/Editor/FastGUIAtlasManager.cs(196,64): error CS0117: `NGUIEditorTools' does not contain a definition for `FindInScene'

I'm using:
    Unity: 4.2.1f4
    NGUI: 3.0.1
    FastGUI: 1.3.3

26. xReaper7x

xReaper7x

Im getting a error

"Assets/FastGUI/Editor/FastGUI/Unity/FastGUIPostProcessing.cs(881,24): error CS1061: Type `UILabel' does not contain a definition for `MakePositionPerfect' and no extension method `MakePositionPerfect' of type `UILabel' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    "

Im using

Unity 4.2.1f4
    NGUI 2.6.3
    FastGUI- Lastest version

27. badawe

badawe

Not working yet Joe! I'm working on that.

28. badawe

badawe

Are you sure, that your using the last Update?

29. ironbelly

ironbelly

There are 2 major roadblocks preventing this plugin from being useable in our team and I would love your thoughts on it or an idea of when these might be addressed in future versions:

A.) TGA Export: PNG is almost as bad a JPG as a format for UI. The transparency is horrible, actually nearly everything is horrible with PNG when it comes to nGUI and as such we use TGA for all UI elements. Is there any way to export to TGA with this plugin or is there anything in the works to allow for this?

B.) Setup for 9 slice Scaling: Another hugely important part of the UI process is setting it all up for 9 slice scaling. Without this, just like TGA we can't get much use out of this plugin. Any way to handle that with Fast Gui or any plans for a 9-slice feature in the future?

Thanks!

30. badawe

badawe

A) Not yet, but was a good idead, I'll implement something like that.

B) We do support for 9-Slice but its not really something simple to implement and use, you need do make some changes in the psd folder to inform the exporter the size os the slices.

31. markpollard1

markpollard1

Does this work with NGUI 3.0 and Photoshop cs6 ? was think of purchasing this.

32. mikez69

mikez69

So yeah, same error for me with today's purchase of NGUI (3.0.3) and FastGUI (1.3.3) Unity version 4.2.0f4 (MAC)

Assets/FastGUI/Scripts/Editor/FastGUIAtlasManager.cs(196,64): error CS0117: `NGUIEditorTools' does not contain a definition for `FindInScene'

33. merlin981

merlin981

NGUI 3 renamed FindInScene to FindAll. Just replace "FindInScene" with "FindAll"

34. mikez69

mikez69

Good call, that fixed one error but threw up 10 more. What other references were changed?

$Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 1.03.46 PM.png

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  35. mikez69

mikez69

Anyone know what changes were made so I can update the code appropriately?

36. Stephan-Tanguay

Stephan-Tanguay

I hear ya, I am starting a new project and really want to use NGUI 3.x
    Hopefully a FastGUI update will come out soon ^_^

As for workaround I have one... not the best one but it works. If you do the following you can still using FastGUI with NGUI 3.x
    1. delete NGUI 3.x
    2. temporarliy install NGUI 2.x
    3. temporarily install FastGUI
    4. import everything you need via fast gui
    5. unistall NGUI 2.x + FastGUI
    6. reinstall NGUI 3.x

37. Tripwire

Tripwire

So are there plans to make a NGUI 3.0 version of FastGUI?

38. A.I

A.I

Thanks!
    But, I tried this process and got two errors. How do you solve these errors?

■Errors
    Assets/AssetPlus/FastGUI/Scripts/Editor/FastGUI.cs(179,30): error CS0117: `NGUISettings' does not contain a definition for `font'
    Assets/AssetPlus/FastGUI/Scripts/Editor/FastGUI.cs(181,30): error CS0117: `NGUISettings' does not contain a definition for `fontName'

■Versions
    Unity 4.3.1
    FastGUI 1.3.3
    NGUI 3.0.8

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  39. merlin981

merlin981

Try this solution... it's a little lengthier, but it does protect your projects from errors:

1) Create a new solution.. give it a name with "NGUI 2.7" in the title (ex. "My Unity Project with NGUI 2.7)... we'll call this the "2.7 project"
    2) In the 2.7 project, add NGUI 2.7 (you can download it here: http://www.tasharen.com/ngui/ngui270.unitypackage)
    3) In the 2.7 project, add FastGUI
    4) Run FastGUI on your PSD
    5) Import the FastGUI widget folder into your 2.7 project
    6) In the 2.7 project, create your NGUI panel
    7) In the 2.7 project, use the FastGUI tool to create the Atlas and attach to the panel (from #6)
    8) In the 2.7 project, create a prefab of the root of the NGUI hierarchy (the GameObject with UIRoot)
    9) In the 2.7 project, Right click on the new prefab, and choose Export to new package. (Check Dependencies, but UNCHECK anything in the FastGUI and NGUI 2.7 folders. You only need to export the Widget folder, the prefab, and any supporting sprites.
    10) Exit the 2.7 project

11) In your working project (with NGUI 3.0)...
    12) Import the unitypackage
    13) Drag the NGUI prefab into the scene
    14) Break the prefab instance (GameObject > Break Prefab)
    15) Delete the prefab from the Project (don't delete from the scene, delete from the project)
    16) In the scene, move the "Panel" GameObject to be on the same level as the "Anchor" (it should be a child of the camera)
    17) Delete the "Anchor" object from the scene

Now you can edit your panel's children using NGUI 3

I know this is longer, but it ensures you don't have any errors in your project and that you don't get any cross-install contamination (NGUI 2.7 files lingering with NGUI 3.0)

40. thomas4d

thomas4d

41. merlin981

merlin981

Hi Thomas4d,

I have a new asset coming out later this week that works for NGUI v3, and is half the price of "PSD Layers to NGUI".

You can find the forum for my new asset here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/227177-NGUI-PSD-Importer

I will update the forum with a link to the asset when it is approved by Unity later this week.

42. thomas4d

thomas4d

thanks will buy as soon as it hits the store ;)

43. ISE_Akifumi

ISE_Akifumi

I apology for taking so long to reply but have been worked on other task and have not been tried your process.
    Thank you very much for teaching me your detailed process!

But, I tried this process, and problems occured at #12.

In working project with NGUI3.0, I import the exported unitypackage,
    but the root GameObject has missing script and all objects named (Sprite) at the tail are also the same.

I'll give it a try again.
    If I can't complete this process, I wait for your new asset "PSD Layers to NGUI" and use it.

44. merlin981

merlin981

Actually, Monster Juice and I have partnered up and will be releasing an updated FastGUI next week, which works for the latest version of NGUI. Will post an update here when its ready.

45. ISE_Akifumi

ISE_Akifumi

I apologize for my serious mistake. Your new asset is "NGUI PSD Importer" but not "PSD Layers to NGUI".
    I'm looking forward to releasing an updated FastGUI ("NGUI PSD Importer")!

46. trelobyte

trelobyte

looking forward to the update !!!

47. blackant

blackant

same problem for me.

export from photoshop works fine ( except if there is too many layers to export) but i'm unable to use fastGUI in Unity...
    so i'll have to make all manually

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  48. merlin981

merlin981

New version of FastGUI should be out in a few days, maybe early next week. As mentioned earlier, its been rewritten to work with the latest version of NGUI.

49. etienne3K

etienne3K

That's really cool! We're looking into your plugin as well as the (one) competition and I'm wondering if you plan on updating the documentation soon?

50. merlin981

merlin981

Actually, I've partnered with Monster Juice, and we've jointly revised FastGUI to work with the latest versions of NGUI. He submitted the new version to Unity earlier this, so we're just waiting for them to approve. If you've already purchased FastGUI, you'll be able to update for free from within Unity