Search Unity

FastGUI - The perfect solution for GUI Placement form Photoshop to Unity3D | RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by badawe, Oct 26, 2012.

1. badawe

badawe

ONLINE MANUAL UPDATED
    If anything in manual, are not clear for you, please leave a comment on the and, so we can improve :)

Version 1.2 ONLINE!
    - New Sprite exporting Methods
    - Linkage between Photoshop and Unity3D
    - New Widgets Added
    - UISlicedSprite
    - Clipping
    - Sliced Image Button
    - Improved panel feedback
    - Minor bug Fixes
    - Now you can have multiple objects using the same sprites
    - New examples added.

Use photoshop as Level Editor:

Videos
    - Outdated video demo (The flow is basically the same, but now is much more improved)
    - Full GUI parsee example
    - Export Widgets example

Description:
    When you’re focused on programming in Unity 3D, the last thing you want to do is stop what you’re doing and end up wasting a lot of your time trying to organize and exactly adjust your Game/GUI to how it was already planned and done in Photoshop by the artists. It’s like having to do it all over again. With FastGUI you won’t have to, because all that time-consuming process will be entirely automatized, and with only 2 simple commands your Photoshop file will be perfectly set up inside Unity 3D, allowing you to focus your time on what really matters: programming your App/Game. After it’s set up, you’ll have everything you need inside Unity! You can then alter and organize everything the way you want.
    *You need NGUI to use this plugin
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/114833-NGUI-(Next-Gen-UI)-demo-amp-final-feedback-request

Features:
    - Perfect placement of images from Photoshop to Unity.
    - Keep the hierarchy of your files organized in Unity just like on Photoshop.
    - You can choose where and when to use it in your project.
    - Up to 10 times faster than making it by hand.
    - Create UIWidgets automatically
    - Keep it simple: After the import process is done, everything will become purely Unity3D Objects, so you won’t need to keep editing your files in other softwares.
    - Get the Text from Photoshop! All you text inside unity with the desired text, font size, and font color!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. SurfaceTension

SurfaceTension

This looks great; absolutely something I'll check out. One question, though:

- Which versions of Photoshop are supported?

I'm stuck back in the stone age with CS3 at the moment.

3. badawe

badawe

We never make the test with CS3 version, if you want i can email you the exporter, and you can try!

4. hima

hima

This is just amazing! Thank you so much!! My GUI artist will be jumping with joy for sure :D

5. AndyGFX

AndyGFX

Just now I tried it, export works good, but when i have selected folder and execute FastGUI panel, always stay gray (disabled). From code I see that looking for a xml. I tried copy generated XML file to this folder manualy (because is saved to wrong folder), but with same result, panel stay disabled.

Note: PC version

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  6. lggmonclar

lggmonclar

Hey AndyGFX, thanks for trying FastGUI.

Could you elaborate on your issue? Is the FastGUI panel COMPLETELY gray or just "faded out"? If your issue is the former, it could mean your xml file has accents in it, such as 'é' or 'ñ', and these aren't handled well by the xml file. A solution to this is to simply rename your Photoshop folders to a similar name, but removing all the accents.

7. AndyGFX

AndyGFX

I have used your example only, step by step from your video. On pic is result in step, when i want attach panel, ...

Note: I found wher is problem. Your sctipt FastGUI works with MAC folder structure, and this isn't same like WINDOWS:

Code (csharp):
    2. private bool IsValidFolder()
    3.     {
    4.            ...
    5.         if(tTotalPath.IndexOf(".") >= 0)
    6.             return false;
    This always return FALSE on Windows OS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  8. badawe

badawe

Hum, i already try the FastGUI on windows one time, but I'll take a look.

9. AndyGFX

AndyGFX

When I disable line:

if(tTotalPath.IndexOf(".") >= 0) return false;

then works ;)

Only twice I got message than Unity has Access denied during write to cache.

10. erick_lima

erick_lima

Awesome plugin!! Nice work MonsterJuice!!

I'll try and give you feedback as soon. By the way, do you have any manual or just this tutorial video?

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

This looks very interesting, and I've already purchased it. But it really, really needs a manual. There doesn't appear to be any help text at all, just a video that shows you "making magic".

Opening the "Template gui.psd" file gives an error in Photoshop about layers containing extra data that will be discarded, and another dialog about missing fonts. What do the groups do? There appears to be something in the layers with a "warning sign" icon that I don't know what it does (for example: "Text as sprite). What is the "psd hierarchy" folder for?

This is very confusing. Please create a manual that shows us what to do.

12. Burletech

Burletech

Having some issues getting this to work. I get this error...

Can't find the sprite 'ITC_Anna_Std_23_regular' in UIAtlas on "FastGUITemplate"

And also 26 of these errors...

ImportSettings 'Assets/FastGUI/Source/Parsed/FastGUITemplate/FastGUITemplate.png' has been modified but AssetDatabase.ImportAsset has not been called. Please fix the scripts code or Import the asset manually.
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:ImportAsset(String, ImportAssetOptions)
    NGUIEditorTools:MakeTextureAnAtlas(String, Boolean) (at Assets/NGUI/Scripts/Editor/NGUIEditorTools.cs:621)
    NGUIEditorTools:ImportTexture(String, Boolean, Boolean)

Thanks for your time :)

13. badawe

badawe

Guys, sorry about the lack of manual, we are fully commited to bring one real helper manual, until 10/30 I'm pretty sure we already make this!

Thanks for the support!

14. BTStone

BTStone

Seems like a pretty neat tool! We are currently working with nGUI, your FastGUI-Tool could improve our workflow. But we would first see, yeah, the upcoming manual. Maybe you can make it a .pdf and upload it here in the Topic?

15. badawe

badawe

Sure Mayhen! We gonna do better than that, keep one link alive with the current manual and features! I'm working on it by now!

16. BTStone

BTStone

Great, looking forward to it, after a short lecture, we'll gonna buy it for sure :)

17. Baroni

Baroni

Creative work, would love to try this with gimp.

18. benbonso

benbonso

After importing, can't found the GUISettings,why?

19. Amon

Amon

I just bought my copy. Pretty sure I can figure things out, if not the manual would be great. Nice tool guys! :)

20. lggmonclar

lggmonclar

Hello benboso,
    Could you please elaborate on your issue, and possibly on how it is happening?

The manual is on the works and will be released very soon.

Thanks a lot Amon, we hope you enjoy FastGUI!

21. Panajev

Panajev

How do you deal with different resolutions? What would you advise developers doing both iPad and iPhone releases (Retina and non)and maybe Android developers to do realistically?

Does your solution deals in any way with transitions between different scenes/splash screen/etc... with transition effects (less important question perhaps compared to the former one)?

22. benbonso

benbonso

The new NGUI doesn't have the NGUISettings class, and it has a class named UISettings, is it?

23. pedroathumanspot

pedroathumanspot

I'm really interested in FastGUI and that would be really, really nice. I'm particularly interested in knowing which conventions and preparations I must perform in a PSD to make it compatible with FastGUI.

Cheers.

24. SebAubin

SebAubin

Is that just me or I just don't have any Monster Juice tab in my menu?

25. pedroathumanspot

pedroathumanspot

I just bought and installed the FastGUI package and I have that tab on my menu.

Have you created with/imported the NGUI and FastGUI packages on your project?

Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  26. BTStone

BTStone

I also want to know something about a certain Workflow:

We create our GUI-Assets in Illustrator and import the .ai files into Photoshop and edit them within PS.

So: Should be there some problems working that way with FastGUI?

27. lggmonclar

lggmonclar

Hey everyone, I'm glad to let you know that the manual is now available! FastGUI Manual. The opening post of this thread also contains the link to the manual.

Also, a new and updated version of FastGUI will be available shortly, fixing a lot of issues present in the first version.

Hey Panajev, I'll try my best to answer your question fully:

FastGUI serves as a tool to assist your workflow -- that being said, it will export the images from your .psd file and place them in Unity3D exactly like it is on the .psd, it does not re-scale images automatically to fit your current resolution, it does, however, work with NGUI's UIRoot script, ensuring that the images exported are always pixel-perfect. This means that if you are working with a 960*640 resolution, but the source .psd file has been built for a 1024*768 interface, you will most likely find that not all the elements will be present on the game screen, but they will be positioned correctly based on the .psd file.

Then again, NGUI does an amazing job with working with different resolutions, with scripts such as UIStretch, UIRoot, Atlas switching (HD to SD or vice-versa) and UIAnchor.

I'm not sure if I understand this question fully, but once again, FastGUI only helps you with placements and the creation of NGUI widgets, it does not (at this point in time) have any extra functionalities for the interface creation process, such as transition effects.

When developing FastGUI, we here at Monster Juice always make sure that we have the latest version of NGUI. This error you are getting is not familiar to us, considering our latest version of NGUI does have a NGUISettings class.

Hey SebAubin,
    a new version of FastGUI will be up later tonight to fix any of these small issues. If you are still experiencing this issue after the new version is available, please let us know.

Hey Mayhem, thanks for trying FastGUI.
    As long as the layers in the Photoshop file follow the guidelines provided in our manual (available here), you should not encounter any issues!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  28. dsfds

dsfds

how do you put animations in menu?

For example, your monster-cube game, there are that bubble flowing behind your monster in start page.
    And like when you press play offline.

29. badawe

badawe

Hi, the bubbles on menu of Monster Cube was made by using the Unity Particles System, and the rest was made using HOTween!

30. BTStone

BTStone

///Edit. Found the Solution myself :)

31. badawe

badawe

No problem, anything you need, don't mind to ask.

32. Nixel

Nixel

Hi, I have some questions.
    1. Does FastGUI support 9-sliced ?
    2. Is it any way to reuse textures? For example, if a have a lot of buttons with the same background.
    3. Can I set Anchors? and if yes, can I set offsets for it?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  33. badawe

badawe

Hey Nixel, let me try to help you:

1. We are working on this, and on the next update you can do that :)
    2. Sure, everything with the same name, gonna be reutilized!
    3. Yeah, after the import process, is everything in unity, just like you are used to work. So you can add anchor and set everything!

34. Nixel

Nixel

badawe, Thank You for answers.
    1. great news!
    2. ok,I will try it.
    3. I mean can I set any information about alignment and linking to sides in photoshop?

35. badawe

badawe

Guys, the FastGUI 1.2 have just been released on Asset Store! Many improvements and changes! Grab yours!

36. Singtaa

Singtaa

@badawe, first of all, awesome package! Here's just a little of my feedback.

After pressing "FastGUI it", all the UI will be put on the origin (World 0,0,0) even when my UI Root is not. This is not a big deal but it can be a tiny bit inconvenient when working with UI's not at the world origin.

37. badawe

badawe

Hey @Creepgin thanks for the feedback:

So let me try understand! When you press the FastGUI it, the UI Root are moved to the Vector3.zero? Right? This is not a comum behavior, not in the code of FastGUI do that, the only thing we do, and sometimes when you are re-parsing something is put the UIRoot Height to the right target of PSD, and this give a litle flick on the screen. But its just momentaneous, if you can, upload some video of this happening? So I can debug better!

38. Singtaa

Singtaa

@badawe sure I'll elaborate a little bit more.

My scene's UI root is at (0, 200, 0). But when I use "FastGUI it", the added UIs are added at origin (0, 0, 0).

Here's a screenshot

39. badawe

badawe

Perfect, now i get it! It's really something we don't experienced yet! But is something really simple to make work! Sure will be on next update :)

40. BTStone

BTStone

Hey there,

we would like to have a (2D) Book as Questsystem in our game. So the book has an endless Array of 2D Pages, and everytime a new Quest is added, a new page is added automatically. We want to add a "Page-Flip" effect, when the Player swipes over the page.
    What i want to know, if it is possible with nGUI in combination with FastGUI: For example, if we make a Photoshop-Animation of the PageFlip-Effect, so everytime a page is swiped, the animation is played. Would that be possible?

41. robin_notts

robin_notts

Has anyone tried this with the PSD output from Pixelmator (on the Mac)? It looks like it would probably work but it would be good to get confirmation. Thanks.

42. Spyderworxs

Spyderworxs

I would also be interested in such confirmation regarding Pixelmator.

43. nilton_felicio

nilton_felicio

Badawe, a licença de FastGUI é para um único jogo desenvolvido?

44. badawe

badawe

Sadly i don't think Pixelmator use javascript for plugins, but i'm gonna look into it!

45. badawe

badawe

Não não, e unica por unity!

46. BTStone

BTStone

I ask again, because you didn't answer my question:

we would like to have a (2D) Book as Questsystem in our game. So the book has an endless Array of 2D Pages, and everytime a new Quest is added, a new page is added automatically. We want to add a "Page-Flip" effect, when the Player swipes over the page.
    What i want to know, if it is possible with nGUI in combination with FastGUI: For example, if we make a Photoshop-Animation of the PageFlip-Effect, so everytime a page is swiped, the animation is played. Would that be possible?

47. badawe

badawe

Sorry about that, sometimes this forum just don't post what i'm post! :p

So, this can't be done only with fastGUI all this steps of page turn, must be done by yourself!

48. BTStone

BTStone

Alright, thank you.

We thought we could handle it like that:

- make the Page-Flip-Animation in After Effects
    -> export every Frame as .PNG
    - make an SpriteAnimation in nGUI for the book

and the rest, the book itself could be done in PhotoShop/FastGUI, right?

49. ibps13

ibps13

Hello,

I have somme trouble with my psd, I have some error when i built fastgui:

PHP:
    NullReferenceExceptionObject reference not set to an instance of an object
    FastGUIPostProcessing
    .CreateImageButton (.XMLNode pNode, .UIPanel pTargetRootPannelUnityEngine.Transform pLastAnchorSystem.String pLastAnchorPath) (at Assets/FastGUI/Editor/FastGUI/Unity/FastGUIPostProcessing.cs:691)
    FastGUI.ParseeTargetFolder () (at Assets/FastGUI/Editor/FastGUI/Unity/FastGUI.cs:219)
    FastGUI.OnGUI () (at Assets/FastGUI/Editor/FastGUI/Unity/FastGUI.cs:166)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object objBindingFlags invokeAttrSystem.Reflection.Binder binderSystem.Object[] parametersSystem.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/3df08680c6f85295/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    I have tested with unity 3.5.6 and 4, ngui 2.2.6b

I try to find what is wrong on my psd file but not found, work with other psd...

50. badawe

badawe

Absolutely yes :)