Search Unity

Faster workflow

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by rubble1, Nov 16, 2011.

1. rubble1

rubble1

Hi,

Is there a setting for the default position of a game object when they're created? Whenever you create a game object it places it out in some random place. This position seems to be kind of based on where the camera is pointing, but if you're creating prefabs based on game objects it makes the whole process a little more time consuming.

Also, is there a way to apply the same material to multiple objects? I've seen some answers here and there that involve a little coding, but I think this should be something kind of built in and accessible to non programmer team members as well.

Is there a way to do this, am I missing something here?

Thanks

2. ivanzu

ivanzu

make your model into prefab to apply other materials.

3. rubble1

rubble1

I just meant applying a material to a bunch of objects already in the scene. I know that if you change a material in the prefab, it's universal.

Specifically I had to set up some trees recently, where the trunk and the leaves had the same texture. The material they needed had to be different though, so I made a new material. When trying to apply this material to the leaves, I had to assign the material to each individual leaf under the trunk. If I tried to assign the material to the top object (the trunk), all the children would be affected too.
    In any case, I don't know if there's a way to assign a material to multiple objects on the stage, is there?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011