Search Unity

Faster VR Iterraiton

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Simeon, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Simeon

Simeon

I've started developing prototypes for VR but found it a bit frustrating compared to its desktop counterpart. For example when you are building a prototype of a VR mechanic, when you want to test a change you need to put on the VR headset and grab the controllers. Then you test your changes, put down the controller and take off the headset so you can continue iterating on your prototype. I was wondering if any of you have tips or ideas on how that whole process can be made faster and easier.
    I was imagining headsets or controller that don't need to be taken off each time you want to test a change and iterate on it, but what do you do when that's not an option.

2. mattbenic

mattbenic

I can't speak to the other frameworks, but the Oculus one has an emulation mode that lets you move the camera by holding down a key (default is ctrl) and moving the mouse. Depending on what it is you're testing you can just attach your input mechanism to the camera instead of the controllers.

For example in what I'm working on, we use a laser pointer attached to a hand and activate the object it is interacting with by pressing the trigger on the controller. But when testing in the editor I attach the laser to the camera instead and use a keyboard shortcut to activate whatever it is interacting with.

3. Robert7501

Robert7501

You can use the new Microsoft MRTK v2, if thats an option. It supports most of the important VR headsets and controllers and has a very good emulation mode, where one can even emulate the controllers or other gesture based input.