Search Unity

Bug FastBufferWriter.WriteValue() won't accept unmanaged generic type T anymore?

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by Senshi, Jul 17, 2022.

1. Senshi

Senshi

EDIT: Of course I figure it out 2 seconds after posting this... unmanaged does not automatically mean the type satisfies the required constraints. Changing the function signature to
    static FastBufferWriter CreateMessageWriter<T>(int bufferSize, T value) where T : unmanaged, IComparable, IConvertible, IComparable<T>, IEquatable<T> {}
    does the trick. Carry on!

--------------------------

So I just came back to a project that required a reinstall of the editor, and it gave me an error. I updated Netcode for GameObjects to v1.0.0 and now I'm here. I had written the following helper method:

Code (CSharp):
    1. static FastBufferWriter CreateMessageWriter<T>(int bufferSize, T value) where T : unmanaged {
    2.     using FastBufferWriter writer = new FastBufferWriter(bufferSize, Allocator.Temp);
    3.     writer.TryBeginWrite(bufferSize);
    4.     writer.WriteValue(value);
    6.     return writer;
    7. }
    I'm 99% sure this used to work, and indeed even the current docs imply this:

However, I am still getting the following error on my
    writer.WriteValue(value)
    line:

Code (CSharp):
    1. error CS0314: The type 'T' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'FastBufferWriter.WriteValue<T>(in T, FastBufferWriter.ForNetworkSerializable)'. There is no boxing conversion or type parameter conversion from 'T' to 'Unity.Netcode.INetworkSerializable'.
    What gives? Am I missing something, or did something break at some point? Gave this post the Bug flair for now, but happy to change to Question if that's more appropriate.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    Ptipoi likes this.