Search Unity

Fast/Optimized way to push a position FROM a Transform TO an Entity's Position?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by FrankvHoof, Mar 8, 2019.

1. FrankvHoof

FrankvHoof

For a project I'm working on creating a custom hybrid system to perform a simple raycast-collision-detection.
    Due to the nature of the project I need to use the actual GameObjects.
    After looking at both a system with, and without using Entities (IJobs (incl parallel) vs IJobProcessComponentData), I found that creating Entities just for the system was actually the most performant way to do it.
    The system itself is fine, however, I'm stuck on 4 lines.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. foreach (KeyValuePair<MyPointObject, GameObject> item in x)
    2.             {
    3.                 Entity e = GetEntity(item.Key.ID);
    4.                 EntityManager.SetComponentData(e, new Position { Value = item.Value.transform.position });
    5.             }
    I need to get the position of the GameObject into the Position of its corresponding Entity before my Jobs can run. Because Transform is a class, I need to do this in the OnUpdate-Method (I think?). However, using EntityManager.SetComponentData, this is taking roughly 4.5 ms to process around 200 Objects.

What would be a better/more performant way to handle this? (Especially considering I need access to the Transform-Class of the GameObjects?)

2. kstothert

kstothert

have you tried adding
    CopyTransformFromGameObjectProxy

This will syncronize the game object transform with the entity's position (now called translation, as of preview 26) component

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  3. FrankvHoof

FrankvHoof

Not yet.. Would you be able to provide some documentation as to how it's used? (Google doesn't seem helpful)

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

5. FrankvHoof

FrankvHoof

After doing a test with an empty gameobject, it seems to not actually be updating the translation-component (proxy) on the gameobject. It should be doing this in one of Unity's built-in systems, no?
    https://gyazo.com/6f1b27f98d1ac62101fc80a4639739f1

6. kstothert

kstothert

add a
    LocalToWorld
    proxy and you will see it update (sync). Translation only show changes not current position

kro11 likes this.
  7. FrankvHoof

FrankvHoof

TheTranslationProxy still seems to be empty, even when adding the LtW (doesn't seem to show change/movement either, even when moving LARGE amounts)
    But hey, I can grab the position from the LocalToWorldProxy.Value, so thanks ;)

kro11 likes this.