Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Far monoscopic rendering for VR in SRPs

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by tspk91, May 3, 2019.

1. tspk91

tspk91

Hello there. Are there any plans to make far mono optimization possible with SRPs for VR applications? For those that haven't seen it, it consists in having stereo render for close distances (less than 10 m) and mono render (copy same buffers to both eyes) for anything farther out. In most VR games with open spaces this can give a very substantial boost to performance.

I have seen many research articles and examples about this (for example: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/hybrid-mono-rendering-in-ue4-and-unity/). They use camera stacking, but in HDRP that is not supported as far as I know and the moving around of gbuffer data is quite hacky.

2. RetroFlight

RetroFlight

I have got this working in unity for Oculus quest using the standard render. I havent played with HDRP. It seems to work well and has improved my framerates for a flight sim Im biilding so I can use some more complex shaders and lots of trees. If you are interested I can explain how I did it.