Search Unity

Official FAQ - Analytics MAU Pricing Model Update

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by clarec_unity, May 31, 2023.

1. zzzz789

zzzz789

Whelp, that's overpriced for us. First Unity Cloud Build, now Unity Analytics... trust gone.

@Unity - Given the unfortunately swift timeline of these changes - Can you advise on exactly what steps we need to take in order to ensure we will not be charged for usage? Planning to ship updates to our titles this month that will remove Unity Analytics in order to avoid a billing surprise for the first cycle of this new pricing model.

2. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

There have been a couple of questions asking...

How to Disable Analytics?

Disabling the Analytics Enabled toggle switch on the Analytics Settings page will prevent any new events from being recorded and showing up as billable events in your Analytics Dashboard. You can re-enable Analytics at a later date if you want to.

upload_2023-7-5_11-59-46.png

If you want to disable Analytics data at source and prevent your game client from sending them, you can call
    Code (CSharp):
    1. await AnalyticsService.Instance.SetAnalyticsEnabled(false);
    You can use the above method in conjunction with Remote Config to programatically disable Analytics for players in certain countries if you have concerns that their LTV is too low justify Analytics data collection and analysis.

s4relok, Weiky, zzzz789 and 7 others like this.
  3. domonyiv

domonyiv

If I use the code above for certain low LTV countries, does that mean it doesn't count towards the MAU count and I can stay at the free tier?

4. MegaMileyStudios

MegaMileyStudios

That's what it sounds like to me, if the Analytics library isn't sending any events then the server won't know of those users and thus can't count them as MAUs

5. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, that is correct.

Yes, exactly.

If a specific instance of the game client disables the Analytics SDK with
    await Analyticservice.Instance.SetAnalyticsEnabled(false);
    it won't send any Analytics events and the server won't be aware of that player. Analytics processing and storage won't therefore be required and Analytics charges and reporting won't apply to that player. Your Analytics will now only be reporting on a subset of your players.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    domonyiv likes this.
  6. cihadturhan_unity

cihadturhan_unity

So that means, you won't see the real MAU of your game in unity analytics dashboard as only enabled ones will be counted. Correct?

7. stivdev

stivdev

Hi Laurie, thanks a lot for this info. Is it safe to turn this switch off while Unity Analytics is still in my app? It might be a few weeks before I can properly remove Unity Analytics so I just want make sure turning it off here won’t cause errors in the app.

8. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Can we have some clarification with regards to the fair usage policy pricing? As in what are the added costs when exceeding 500 custom events per MAU?

helgrind21 and Bagel_Shadow like this.
  9. DarkCooker

DarkCooker

This is a total disaster move for unity
    It just stop all hypercasual games from using analytics and stop all LTV countries using it

10. DarkCooker

DarkCooker

so if i disable the project level Anaytics
    The MAU of the project will not be counted. Am I right? Can you clarify this quickly because otherwise I may need to delete my Unity account to ensure no accidental charges?

11. hunterua

hunterua

Is there any way in dashboard to see total MAU across the all projects?

DarkCooker likes this.
  12. ItsGonnaBeOk

ItsGonnaBeOk

Question #1:
    Does disabling the analytics for IAPs in any way affect the performance of unity ads?

Question #2:
    We are using Unity Purchasing package v4.7.0 for our project, and it requires
    "com.unity.modules.unityanalytics": "1.0.0"
    as a dependency.
    We've disabled the analytics from the dashboard, but we don't have an access to
    AnalyticsService.Instance.SetAnalyticsEnabled(false)
    API.
    How do we disable analytics from code, to prevent it from sending any data from our client?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
  13. wilczarz_84

wilczarz_84

SetAnalyticsEnabled is now deprecated, should we this instead?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. AnalyticsService.Instance.StopDataCollection();
    Also, what if I call StartDataCollection() and then after a second StopDataCollection()? (when game config request finishes) Will I be billed for such users?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  14. ItsGonnaBeOk

ItsGonnaBeOk

15. Bagel_Shadow

Bagel_Shadow

I'm curious why there is still no mention of the new schema on https://unity.com/solutions/gaming-services/pricing page? We were working through approvals on our side with our legal team and were about to cross the finish line when the pricing rug was pulled out from under us. Since there are no clarifications on aforementioned extra fees for > ~500 events per user we're just going to turn off Analytics in the next 5 days I guess o_O. Looking into a direct Snowflake integration as a potential option next I guess... good luck!

16. Bagel_Shadow

Bagel_Shadow

Pricing was updated on that page now fwiw ^

17. Leonid

Leonid

@Laurie-Unity
    Hello!
    Will disabling Analytics in the dashboard or app affect IAP processing?

18. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Leonid

Disabling Analytics from the Analytics settings page on your dashboard will not prevent the processing of IAP, but you won't see any IAP revenue reporting in your Unity Dashboard, or be able to use Game Overrides to target specific configuration changes to Spenders.

Leonid likes this.
  19. Avessalom

Avessalom

@Laurie-Unity . Will it be enough to just turn off that "Analytics enabled" toggle to not be charged for usage?
    Or it is necessary to use this code?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. await AnalyticsService.Instance.SetAnalyticsEnabled(false);

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
  20. Leonid

Leonid

@Laurie-Unity
    Thanks for the answer!
    Another thing I'd like to know is when exactly does MAU Analytics increase and developer get charged - when a user signs in with the authentication service, launches the app, or something else?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
  21. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Myeah. I didn't even bother checking the new prices because I thought "oh, it's Unity, they're not going to sneakily add huge costs all of a sudden". Silly me.

Guys, very bad move. Not sure if it's ironSource peeps that have been absorbed that came up with this absurd pricing or what, but I assure you we can handle complexity and giving the silly reason of "it's for convenience" is really not on-brand. I hope you reconsider or at least split up the service so that only custom analytics cost this much.

Big whoopsie here - will have to stop using Unity Analytics. Bummer!

Chris_Webb likes this.
  22. Fortunato1

Fortunato1

As I understand it, starting August 1st, a fee will be charged only for using the new analytics, and if I specifically did not implement or configure analytics from your new "Unity Gaming Services," I shouldn't be receiving any bills.

However, today, August 6th, when data on the use of your services became available (with a delay, as the free tier was consumed for 4 days), I see that in just 2 days some of my projects have already accumulated a significant bill. Although I specifically did not implement Unity Gaming Services, on the analytics page there is a "Set up Analytics" label, which likely indicates that analytics were not implemented and configured.

I only use the initialization of Unity Gaming Services for your "In-App Purchasing" asset to work, as indicated in the documentation, since without this, purchases will not function correctly. A phrase from the latest version (4.9.3) of the asset's documentation states: "If you attempt to use the Unity IAP service without first initializing Unity Gaming Services, you will receive the following warning message: Unity In-App Purchasing requires Unity Gaming Services to have been initialized before use."
    Link: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...al/UnityIAPInitializeUnityGamingServices.html

My question is: Is it enough to uncheck the "Analytics enabled" box in the analytics settings for the analytics to stop working and accumulating charges? And will purchases continue to work correctly after that? I want to make sure that I won't face additional bills or problems with my applications.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I hope for a quick response. I believe I'm not the only one who has encountered this situation.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
    Chris_Webb and ry_w like this.
  23. ry_w

ry_w

Same, just initialized the UGS for IAP. I was unaware that this action would lead to a fee being charged. As a result, my bills are rapidly increasing every day, which seems unreasonable.

24. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

A few pointers that will hopefully answer some of the most recent questions:
    • Disabling Analytics from the Analytics Settings page on your dashboard will prevent the processing of any further Unity Gaming Services Analytics events on that project, it will also prevent the project from incurring any further Analytics Usage charges. *Note, this is a per-project setting. Disabling analytics on one project will not change the behaviour on another one.
      upload_2023-8-7_9-48-44.png
    • Your game client will continue to send Unity Gaming Services Analytics events, but these will be discarded. You can disable the sending of events in your code if you want to.
      Unity Analytics version < 5.0.0 : Set
      AnalyticsService.Instance.SetAnalyticsEnabled(false);
      before Initiaising Unity Gaming Services with
      await UnityServices.InitializeAsync()

Unity Analytics version >= 5.0.0 : Don't call the Analytics SDK
      StartDataCollection()
      method

• The Unity IAP package will send Analytics events if Analytics is enabled, but the dependency on the Unity Analytics package was removed in IAP SDK v4.7.0, however we would advise using the latest IAP SDK version have their have been additions, changes and fixes since then. So, IAP will continue work, but won't send analytics events if you are using IAP >= 4.7.0 and you have disabled analytics as outlined above. Disabling Analytics will however require you to visit the Apple and Google stores to review your IAP revenue as it will no longer appear in your Unity Dashboard.

Mest, ry_w, Fortunato1 and 2 others like this.
  25. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

@Laurie-Unity There is a rather important unanswered question here, where is the definition of what charges a project will incur beyond the fair usage policy? The pricing structure is totally meaningless without that definition. How much is that surcharge?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    helgrind21 likes this.
  26. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Thanks for the clarification! I was under the impression I would have had to publish an update with Unity Analytics removed from the binary. Also, there is a tier system with using custom events which I've missed. I still personally think that this price point is not cost-effective and quite prohibitive for many, but I appreciate the clarification.

27. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for pointing this out. I shall seek clarification and update the FAQ accordingly.

28. Leonid

Leonid

@Laurie-Unity
    Thank you!
    Could you please clarify if Remote Config requires Analytics to be enabled?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  29. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

I have a couple more clarifications that I can share.
    • We are monitoring the fair usage limits and charges. It is our expectation that the fair usage limits should be sufficient for normal and fair usage and only a limited number of edge cases will exceed it. The calculation of any charges for exceeding fair usage limits will be proprtional to the overage. e.g. If your average events per MAU is 10% over the fair usage limit, a 10% surcharge would be applied to your invoice. But as I say, we are monitoring this to validate our assumptions against real usage data.

• Remote Config usage is FREE, but we identified an issue that was resulting in userAssignment and userAssignmentConfirmed events being included in the Cost and Usage reporting. These events are used for reporting on Remote Config and Game Override usage. This issue has now been resolved, these events will no longer contribute towards Analytics usage. All impacted organizations will be identified and their invoices adjusted.

30. federicop_gamera

federicop_gamera

I do think that providing a few sample invoices for the most common usage scenario would have helped in avoiding a lot of misunderstanding.
    As an example,
    a game with an average of 5000 MAU.
    If the game were to fit in the fair usage limit its invoice should be 0 as its MAU count doesn't exceed the free tier.
    If the game were to exceed the fair usage limit by 10%, from what you said I'd expect the invoice to be still 0: is that the case? If not, how that surcharge is going to be calculated?
    How the fair usage limit is exceeded (events or query time) do make a difference?

It doesn't take much more than having to provide a few provisional budget to make the gaps clear.

helgrind21 likes this.
  31. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

The way I interpret it is that you divide your custom event count per user by 500, giving your an effective MAU value, and the MAU you are charged for is Max(MAU, effective MAU), with the difference between the two being charged as a separate surcharge, but an example from Unity would be very welcome.

32. federicop_gamera

federicop_gamera

Could be legit.
    But we shouldn't have to wonder if it is.
    Hopefully @Laurie-Unity will shed some light on it

AlkisFortuneFish likes this.
  33. Aectan

Aectan

Dear @Laurie-Unity,

We have been using Unity Analytics for less than 3 weeks, but have already had difficulties with the new pricing model that was introduced on August 1. Currently we are in a beta testing phase without any revenue. The total number of users is 50, which is far from the Free Tier limit (50k). However, we have managed to exceed the Fair Usage Limits while retrieving Events data as *.csv files.

Here are our main questions:

1) In accordance with the Service Usage information (attached as a screenshot), we have 50 MAU and over 3800% of Query Seconds surpass. This seems unreasonable as our limit should be 0.05 * 50 = 2.5 (0.05 seconds per MAU). However, the current excess is 3826%, which was calculated as 1.913 / 0.05 * 100% = 3826%. This means that our current MAU value is not included. Is this a mistake? If so, please remove all current restrictions on our account.

2) Currently, we are running multiple consecutive SQL queries (due to the 1000 row limit) to retrieve all records (mainly Events) from the server. Is there any other way to access the data stored in Unity Analytics (other than Snowflake) in *.csv format?

PS: It seems logical that 0.05 * 50 000 (Free tier) = 2500 seconds of query should be free. As it was before the new model was introduced.

Attached Files:

LeToineDelh, mdsitton and helgrind21 like this.
  34. helgrind21

helgrind21

I have the same concern. I am a Ph.D. candidate currently conducting research utilizing a game, which involves the use of UGS Analytics to gather data. This data is then exported using SQL Data Explorer for analysis. My user base is relatively small, with only a few users actively playing the game. Even at its peak, I've had around 30 Monthly Active Users (MAU), which should comfortably fall within the Free tier limits.

However, today when I logged into my dashboard, I was surprised to see the same problem that @Aectan had mentioned. The month query time of 2.761s is now exceeding the "Fair Usage" limits by a staggering 5,521%. Along with this, a message appeared stating:

"Sales might be in contact soon to help resolve the issue. If the free tier is surpassed, a surcharge will be applied to the excess usage."

Naturally, this has raised several concerns for me. Firstly, I've been actively searching for information about the potential surcharge that could be applied due to this excessive usage, but it's like hunting unicorns – nowhere to be found. Can I even afford to pay an amount that's exceeded my usage limit by 5,521%?

Honestly, I'm not gonna lie – this hit me like a bucket of ice water. The prospect of having to pay for this surcharge is alarming. The query time of 0.05s per month, looks like is far from sufficient for my research needs. At this point, I'm seriously reconsidering my choice of utilizing Unity Analytics.

I'm on the process of writing my thesis, which advertises the perfect application for Unity UGS in research. This, unfortunately, might not be the case anymore.

35. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

This is in need of urgent clarification but I expect it's a technical/display issue rather than a billing issue. I very seriously doubt they would charge if the effective MAU is less than the free tier, even if it exceeds the current MAU. It does make some sort of sense to report it as exceeding fair use, because if you scaled the number of users up it would result in charges, but it should be made clear if this is the case.

helgrind21 likes this.
  36. yourstoryinteractive

yourstoryinteractive

We have a multi-million MAU project - mostly users from tier 2 and 3 countries, much less the levels of revenue that you would expect from tier 1. We were using Unity analytics when it was free, then when the event based pricing was in place we were paying ~$750/mo and it was fine, then when the MAU based pricing kicked in and we saw the bill raise to several thousand dollars in just one week, we said "Goodbye Unity Analytics" and successfully transitioned to something less greedy.

DungDajHjep and mdsitton like this.
  37. lauhonyeung

lauhonyeung

Stupid Unity, free demo charge me for $400 per month. I'm going to join unreal

38. Nathanovicio

Nathanovicio

Just out of curiosity, what did you transition to? Any recommendations?

DungDajHjep likes this.
  39. newlife

newlife

Any changes so far? Following Ricittello's firing, I mean

40. LeToineDelh

LeToineDelh

@Laurie-Unity : do these questions have answers ?
    I work with a museum that wants data from the users of their digital application (2 seats).
    Does that mean, since I have 2 MAUs, that I only have 0.1 free query seconds ? Does that mean costs or penalties if query seconds are overpassed (it will definitely happen)?

DOC : How do Fair Usage Limits work for Analytics under this pricing model?
    Once you surpass the Free Tier, you will be subject to fair usage limits to ensure that Unity can continue to provide a reliable service for all customers.

There shouldn't be any penalties according to the documentation since Free Tier is not surpassed.

THX

EDIT :
    1 MAU = 77.2% Custom Events in 1 day
    1 Query = 2.5 sec = 5000%
    This is ridiculous.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  41. YD_JMysior

YD_JMysior

Just to add some context and unload some of our own frustration.

We've transitioned our old project which has around 80-100k MAU to the new SDK. The technical side went smoothly and was fairly easy.

For November 2023 we got an invoice from Unity for $155 (for 85K MAU) and for December $288 (for 115K MAU). [edited Jan 18th, 2024]

This is an old-school paywall type of mobile game - free to download and try + a single in-app purchase for the full version. Overwhelming majority of the users come from (so called) Tier 2 & Tier 3 countries and the game makes around $800 - $1000 per month. This means Unity has just taxed our game with a tax rate of around 25% or more - for a single additional service! And this using the current rates - AFTER the first version of the new pricing was corrected.

This successfully discourages us from trying any other Unity services in the feature.

Worth noting - we have been continually paying for the seat licenses for many, many years now. It's not like we are not sharing any of our revenues with Unity... Also we take all the risks here - the seat license is fixed and the tribute is paid to Unity regardless of the game actually making any money. For many of our projects the Unity license cost alone is more than the total revenue.

It would seem F2P business model wasn't even in the scope of the people who devised this outrageous pricing ranges. Our current project has a premium business model so we will stay with Unity Analytics for the cross-platform support, but if we ever start a new F2P project Unity will not be considered unless there are some serious pricing changes. I'm happy to pay 3-5% of our revenues to support Unity. A 25%+ tax just because someone doesn't know how to use a spreadsheet to calculate fair prices - this is a BIG NO NO.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024