Search Unity

Fantasy world (wip)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by botumys, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Kristalghost

Kristalghost

I suggest you look for somebody to work with, maybe even a couple of people (writer, etc maybe).
    You could make a super cool game from this! (I would help but as of now Im pretty new to the scripting in unity but I can help with writing if you like)

If you don't want the hassle you always can use it as a reference if you look for a job in that direction or even sell it because of its apparent quality.

hope it helped,
    Kristalghost

2. Eleventh

Eleventh

I agree with Kristalghost, you should either find a way to make this into a game or else set up a webstore sell the scenes, you could definitely make some $$, at least I know that a few Unity users would buy. It just seems like a big waste if you don't DO anything with this art you have created.

3. Kristalghost

Kristalghost

You could probably even get people to help you with making the game for free.
    There are allot of people learning out there and helping create a game is a good way to do that.

kristalghost

4. runningbird

runningbird

Maybe a community game where everyone can share their coding / art/ story telling /etc skills?

5. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

I would buy some of your outdoor scenes...you have a skill at beyond what I have after 6 months with the product. Of course I am a developer, nuff said!

6. botumys

botumys

Thx for suggestions :)
    In fact, this world is a way for me to escape.(work, rain, some people...)
    I would like to make an experience rather than a game, with keywords like discovery, research, observation.
    I would like to propose to members of the forum to rent (for free) a location and place their virtual house, stone, garden, with update.

The idea to sell the set is good, but I still have much work on it, and sincerely, it's hard to estimate the final product :)

7. chaos1986

chaos1986

A virtual world where one can explore, meet others and rent out space would be awesome

8. botumys

botumys

First test of vegetation in the city entrance zone.

9. Neodrop

Neodrop

Can you add ability to restore position after falling ?

Thank you. I hope you will happy finish this amazing world.

10. botumys

botumys

I don't code, and I don't know how to do that.
    More trees and vegetation:

11. botumys

botumys

Little vue from "whispering forest" (wip).

12. GrimWare

GrimWare

Wow! Did you model the trees yourself?

13. botumys

botumys

no, it's trees from unity package :)

14. GrimWare

GrimWare

Really?!

*digs into Unity to find trees* :)

15. duke

duke

Unity does come with a pretty decent pack of vegetation, and then there's always Dexsoft to fill your collection out (no I don't work for them, yes it's a plug)!

16. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Wow, you are indeed truly talented.

17. botumys

botumys

thx killer :)

another part of the forest :
    Now, to generate trees, I use paint effect in maya. Actually I have 4 different pines, but, by changing seed number, I have access to infinite number of trees :)

18. Daxiongmao87

Daxiongmao87

Wow, just wow. I've been following your thread since page 1 and I gotta say there's not a picture that hasn't impressed me. Keep up the good work. :)

19. Kristalghost

Kristalghost

love the forests!
    I can't wait to explore it

20. chaos1986

chaos1986

There is 1 small piece of criticism i do have, i'm sure it's easy enough to fix.

The skybox is very low resolution compared to the rest of the world, might you consider using a higher resolution one, there are plenty of free ones on www.cgtextures.com

21. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Agreed.

22. botumys

botumys

I agree too :)
    I have just to find the way to split textures from cgtextures in 6 parts for the skybox.

I have a question : it is possible to visualise the area of a sound effect (like a sphere), because actually it's hard to place a sound without visual feedback :/

23. chaos1986

chaos1986

I have made you a skybox, it should be suitable, the sky is mostly clear with a few clouds. I messed up the names,

front is left
    back is right
    left is front
    and right is back

A demo of your sky in action below

Attached Files:

24. botumys

botumys

thx! I have just to see if sun is in correct position.

Other question, in script, is it possible to create colliders for tree without placing them manualy?
    (script analyse trees positions and create a little collider in x,y,z coordinate with the possibility of adjusting the size)

25. botumys

botumys

26. botumys

botumys

27. basel

basel

Thats looks al amazing. The city entrance looks very cool urban en stoney :D

28. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

I have a question about your paint fx trees. Did you convert the PFX into geometry then export that into a terrain asset in Unity ? I tried to do this but when I limit the convert to poly to around 2000 polygons, my trees come out all messed up.

Do you mind sharing your workflow for getting the paint fx trees into unity ?

29. botumys

botumys

You have to tweak paint effect to avoid reaching more than 1000 polys. 1 face for leaves for exemple. To adjust values, the easy way is to convert paint effect to poly (keep history and hide pfx stroke) and change values with as feedback polygons result.

30. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

ok, I see what you mean. That makes sense. I was relying on the convert tool to be smarter :) I will have to play with this more because I prefer to make my own assets.

You forest path looks great, very whimsical.

31. botumys

botumys

Thx, I have to fix many trees and textures, and after, add animals wandering in the world.

32. crockett

crockett

Very nice work man. I hadn't seen this post in a while and see you have been quite busy.

I must say the forest in the start, is very impressive and would be cool to run around in as a sniper in a FPS. :twisted:

Overall great work and props to the amount of detail you have put into this.

33. botumys

botumys

new screenshot, I continue to paint woods, lot of work because I try to make any location pleasant to view.

34. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

Wow, looks great. This world would make a great adventure game. Where the player awakes in a vast empty world, with signs of a lost civilization and has to piece together what happened to the peoples of an ancient time.

35. Thomas GD

Thomas GD

you already made a cool piece of artwork :)

36. botumys

botumys

It's exactly what I have in mind, I have just to find a enthusiastic coder to help me to realize that :)

37. botumys

botumys

A little post to say that I finished my first script (mainly based on raoul's code to change trees color by picking them). My tool change tree's color depending of the terrain's lightmap. In the picture, you can see that trees now reacts to mountain's shadow.
    I have to add a little bit of randomness in colors but it is almost finished :)
    After, using Raoul's tool, I have just to re-color somes trees that are in-between light and shadow.

38. botumys

botumys

39. Iron-Warrior

Iron-Warrior

Is there any way to have the trees cast shadows? I don't have any experience with Unity's heightmap or terrain editor, but they sort of look like they're just floating.

Other than that, terrific work as usual, been following this from the start.

40. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

You script that? For someone who cant script you certainly can.

41. Discord

Discord

42. botumys

botumys

Ho! As a big player, it's certainly my subconscious that whisper me something :)The resemblance is obvious
    Oo.

-Is there any way to have the trees cast shadows? I don't have any experience with Unity's heightmap or terrain editor, but they sort of look like they're just floating.

Yes, but I have to place trees manually in maya to match trees position in unity. After, I can bake the lightmap with trees shadows. In fact I need a script to export trees position and scale in txt format, with this one I could create a mel script to get informations and re-create placement in maya.

-You script that? For someone who cant script you certainly can.

In fact I take existing pieces of code and I try to assemble them :) I played much with Lego during my childhood :)

43. botumys

botumys

A cemetery was found in the forest. What secret is hidden here ?

44. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

I have used a bit of a cheat to simulate shadows if light mapping is too much of a pain. It's more of a quick and dirty work around. I make a light, medium and dark version of my ground textures and grass for the terrain. Then you can use the unity terrain tools to simply paint in dark areas below trees. Obviously there are some limitations when doing this, but it is fast and easy.

45. platonia96

platonia96

Where did you get those textures?

This is really great work. This could become a really awesome game :D

Was it all just with Maya and Unity indie?

46. botumys

botumys

Most textures comes from www.cgtextures.com, after I modify them in photoshop.
    Yes, maya and Unity (free).

47. heyufool1

heyufool1

Very nice! One question though, in this picture:

It looks like there is some blurring and brighter colors (HDR I guess?). So is that a free shader you used or is that a screen shot after some photoshop?

48. botumys

botumys

it's just a little retake in photoshop :)

49. minevr

minevr

Wow~~~cool..

50. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

I really like the vignetting on your camera. Is that done with a Unity command/ script. Or is it a plane positioned in front of the camera with a gradient to transparency on it.