Search Unity

Fantasy kit Q&A

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MJohnson24, Oct 23, 2014.

1. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Dear users,
    Ive created a "Town Creator Kit" in the asset store within the last few days, but have no reviews yet, because I am new to selling on the asset store, and am probably not known too well yet. I do understand why, because everybody's preference varies from one thing to another.

This post is to ask that you check out my pack, and please try and respond back, if you wish, as to what you do or do not like about what is showing, or whether or not you'd buy it.

I am creating dozen of models everyday, and will have many packs like this one soon, just looking for some feedback, as it would be much appreciated! Thanks.

The link to asset store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/23573

2. Teila

Teila

Hi, I am impressed by the scope of your pack, all those pieces. Looks very good as far as content. However, your screenshots are not that great. I suggest you try making a webplayer demo of a walk through of a village/town made with your assets. It is difficult to judge the quality of the work in screenshots. Also, you should tell us the resolution of the textures and the polys/vertices of your models. This information that is important to know. A mobile developer will want low res and vertices while a desktop user will want something with higher resolution and can handle a little bit higher vertices.

I can't tell you if I would buy it or not. I like the idea of a modular pack but I need better quality textures. I also look for variety such as different types of roof textures and a variety of walls. While you certainly have a lot of nice pieces that would save me a lot of time, I really need to see a demo or at least much higher quality screenshots.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you! I have just started modeling and I am very impressed by the quantity of meshes you have made. Keep at it! :)

randomperson42 likes this.
  3. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

ok, thank you for your feedback.

I do agree as I will try and make a web player soon. Its a good idea, and spaced on my mind, because if i were the one buying this pack, I would like to walk around for better viewing. And yes, i will make sure to include poly/tris counts on this pack, along with future packs. I do have a video showing the pre-built houses and a scene of a basic built town on my website as advertised, but am using bad quality recording editor, so quality indeed isnt quite impressive.

my website for those who wish to view: http://maxwelljohnsongame.wix.com/aquariusmax

4. primus88

primus88

Hi Johnson, I'm not a 3d Artist by any means, but I guess your pack is not destined for that demographic anyway :)

Here is my feedback, strictly from a potential customer point of view:
    1. For 20 dollars I don't really expect more models, but by looking at similar packs (considering scope, price and size) I am expecting better looking textures. Either some good quality cartoonish / handpainted ones or realistic ones.
    2. Better presentation, meaning a webplayer would be useful so I can see the pack in action. Customers got burned a couple of times buying packs that looked good in pictures but had serious issues in reality (i'm not referring to any of your work btw)

Good luck

5. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Thank you for your reply, for those who ask about texture resolution, i format mine in 800 x 800, to give a medium to good quality rating. (Along with most object sets share textures for easier processing!)
    So to give a better answer as i lacked to provide it. if i were to rate my own pack for realisticness, from 1-5, 5 being very realistic, id rate my packs 3.

I am not using unity pro, so unfortunately i cannot see the full features of my objects in realistic shaders or such. I create my packs, to have a fair amount of quality, to be able to put a lot in a scene without too much drawcalls, or lag. So to say, i want to provide a lot of items in my packs, "quantity over quality." (not saying theyre bad quality or anything).

I am having some minor issues re-downloading unity web player, and will hopefully have a web player demo out within the next week! And i do hope to still hear from anybody about the pros and cons of my pack so far, it has helped a lot!

Answering other questions:
    Polys/Vertices on AVERAGE:
    • Walls, roofs, floors, etc, = 120p/120v
    • Advanced houses = 2500p/2500v
    • Other pre-built house models = 1500p/1500v
    • Crates, fencing, lighting, etc = 100p/100v

6. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Well, making a web player demo is the easy part, ive already created one today, although, from what ive read, there is no free way to upload the html, to convert it to a url. If anybody can assist me with that it would be appreciated, because i would love to show my demo.

7. Teila

Teila

For desktop, I would like at least 1024x1024 textures. Polys look pretty good. You should include normal maps and speculars and use those to show in your videos. It will probably make a huge difference. Also, the quality of your videos is not great.

A webplayer would help you a lot. I do like the village scene, just not sold on the textures at the moment.

8. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Ok, thank you for your reply again. I will keep that in mind. Hopefully ill be posting or updating shortly, and as well, I think either way ill be dropping the price down to my original thought of $10- $15, if no sales are made. I will try and add normals, etc to it shortly.

9. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Its been a few weeks, and I am still unfortunately unable to find a good source to host a web player demo. But, I have re-submitted my pack, with all textures at 1024x1024, and included normals with each; normals that can be made specular or not for users' self preferences. I do agree with the fact of my previously posted pictures, as they were very bad for display, and have updated all objects/pictures, for a way better display!

I've also dropped down to my original thought of pricing. my plan was to make ten packs ( Of my Fantasy Packs) for ten dollars each, This pack is now at a permanent $10.

Polys included, and Ive created another video scene of a simple village, showing normals, and the different textures on walls etc, as best as I can, with better video quality, to hopefully show all that is needed, in place of my lack of web demos.

Here is the link to my asset: V.1.5: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/23573

And the updated video, showing textures, tris, and full pack of all models included:

10. randomperson42

randomperson42

Quality is more important than quantity at this point. Spend some time on your textures and spend some time to make sure your demo scene looks great (better lighting etc.)

11. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

Why not just get dropbox for free, and stick your webplayer on that?

Lots of people do that.

12. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Unfortunately dropbox FREE does not support unity web player anymore, ive created a post about this: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/web-player-no-free-uploads.275897/ and many have helped me, but I still cant seem to get any to work. As of recent I am unemployed, so paying a monthly subscription for a website to host, is currently not possible for me. :(

13. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

well, yes, I do agree, although this pack was designed with less "Overall Quality," my other packs have better "Overall Quality." This just released today: (Link and Video)
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/24565

14. l0cke

l0cke

Agreed. For example normal/height maps generated from diffuse texture by various generators suck. Proper way is manual creation, or projection from ultra high poly version to low poly.