Search Unity

3D Fantasy Forest Environment - update v2.0

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Fer00m, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Fer00m

Fer00m

I am happy to announce that version 2.0 is now available!
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/fantasy/fantasy-forest-environment-34245
    Additionally you can now get it at 40% off from the normal price of 25$ for limited time!

---------- Original post below ----------

Hey folks!

I'm working on refreshing my Hand Painted Forest pack with a large, free update! Beside small changes such as standarizing rotations and scale on the models there are two major additions: complete rework of most of the tree models and a new, custom shader created with ASE, which adds wind to the trees.

Here's a preview of 2 out of 3 reworked tree types:

And some shots of the demo scene with the new trees:

And lastly video of wind in action:

I also hope to add Vegetation Studio Pro support, however that is still under question. Let me know what you think!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  2. victus_maestro

victus_maestro

I love the art style! Stylized but not cartoony.

Fer00m likes this.
  3. Serinx

Serinx

4. Fer00m

Fer00m

@victus_maestro Thanks, glad you like it!
    @Serinx Yes, that is the package :) As you can see on the old asset page screenshots it will be quite a step up in quality, or at least I hope so!
    I was experimenting with prices recently and yesterday I settled for 25$. However to 'celebrate' the update, I'm planning a sale so there will be a chance to get it cheaper.

5. zmaxz

zmaxz

I just purchased your "Hand Painted Forest" for v2.0 .:D

6. SMacfarlane

SMacfarlane

Unity Technologies

Great work @Fer00m I love this art style!

7. Fer00m

Fer00m

@SMacfarlane Thanks a lot!

@zmaxz That's great! I hope v2.0 will be submitted by the end of the month.

I have finished second conifer variant and autumn version:

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  8. Fer00m

Fer00m

The pack is almost ready and I will submit it probably next week!
    In the meantime, here's a trailer:

Starpaq2, Serinx and zmaxz like this.
  9. Fer00m

Fer00m

Serinx, Mark_01 and zmaxz like this.
  10. Serinx

Serinx

Nice work! This ones on my list for sure!

For anyone wondering..yes they've both been redeemed :(

11. AyArtGames

AyArtGames

Hey i ove your work, can you tell me if this work with mobile devices?

12. Fer00m

Fer00m

@AyArtGames
    Hey,
    It wasn't tested for mobile devices yet. I only have Huawei P10 at my disposal, and I doubt it would be able to run the demo scene without any optimisations.

13. lolaswift

lolaswift

Hi, I bought the asset. Can you please optimise it for mobile and make a spring scene as well?

14. Acissathar

Acissathar

The new stuff looks great, especially the new tree variants! Are there any plans for similar style packs? (buildings, seasons, etc.)

15. Fer00m

Fer00m

Just a quick reminder, the sale is almost over and the price will be returning to 25$ in the next days. It's the last chance to get it at the discounted price! :)

@Acissathar I have some some plans for new stylized environment packs, but I can't say anything concrete at the moment as these aren't even in pre-production and I have many ideas I'm working on that I'd like to realize first.

Acissathar likes this.
  16. p_hergott

p_hergott

Love the look. Hope to see more packs. Caves, swamps, jungles. Deserts, towns. Id buy em all

17. Fer00m

Fer00m

Thanks @p_hergott !
    I have plans for a whole series of stylized and hand-painted environments, similar to this pack, but at the same time more advanced in terms of graphics, utilizing PBR. Think something similar to the graphical style of Overwatch or Sea of Thieves. Unforutately for the time being I cannot say anything more.

18. kdgalla

kdgalla

Sounds interesting. Will you be adding any PBR features to the Fantasy Forest Environment in the future? I bought this recently, but was a little disappointed that it did not include normal maps.

The style of the game that I had intended it for sounds like what you're describing here- i.e. cartoony and hand-painted but also PBR at the same time.

19. Fer00m

Fer00m

@kdgalla
    Most likely not, since the best way for nice normal maps would be to sculpt high poly meshes and then make textures out of them. This pack was 100% purely hand painted in Photoshop and getting good-looking normals from that is rather tricky and time-consuming.

20. chenghuisun

chenghuisun

My screenshots are still different from yours. Can you tell me how you made them so beautiful?

Attached Files:

21. Fer00m

Fer00m

22. Mafutta

Mafutta

Nice. Is the demo scene included?

23. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hi @Mafutta,

Yes, the demo scene visible on video and screenshots is included, in all three variants: summer, autumn and winter!

24. pixelR

pixelR

I love the style, stylized but not cartoony, would fit my mobile game well. Sadly I'm using URP 7.1.5 in Unity 2019.3 already, but maybe in the future I check this out again. Keep the nice assets coming! :)

25. Fer00m

Fer00m

@pixelR
    Glad you like the style!
    I can't confirm with 100% certainty if or when it will come out, but once 2019.3 is out of beta, I will be working on adding URP and HDRP support for the package. Once I have any news in this regard, I'll be sure to post it here :)

26. pixelR

pixelR

@Fer00m The asset store description says that it hasn't been tested with mobiles. However, if URP support will be added then it's basically a question of tris for the models, could you give me 2-3 examples for trees with farthest LOD? They might actually be suitable for mobile games already, who knows.

27. Fer00m

Fer00m

@pixelR
    There is a free sample available for download which you could test and it includes the model from the main package, which coincidently has the most tris and 3 LOD stages (5k/3k/1.6k). Birch and conifers from the main pack do not have LOD stages and are fairly less complex (anywhere from 700 to 1.6k tris).
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...sy/fantasy-forest-environment-free-demo-35361
    The paid package models however use a more complex shader, which utilize vertex offset for wind animation.

28. Munken

Munken

Hi
    Any news on HDRP support?

29. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Gorgeous, looks like they right out of world of warcraft

30. Fer00m

Fer00m

31. p_hergott

p_hergott

In comparison to every other stylized forest asset. This one seems to just run the best. Hands down.

32. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm not a fan of painted stuff but the art style is pretty and the models look good! :)

33. noomieware

noomieware

Hi. Like your stuff and am about to buy the Forest pack. This is mentioned to support URP. However, while testing the free sample to check for issues, the materials using a custom shader do not work in URP.
    Is that due to the sample project not being URP compatible in comparison to the paid pack? Default shader materials could be converted by the Unity function though.

34. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey @noomieware

The free package doesn't have URP support. I may change that in the future. The paid pack has a .unitypackage file that replaces all relevant stuff to URP-compatible.

35. Jorhoto

Jorhoto

Hi, any plans to upgrade to latest URP version? Unity 2020.2
    Maybe, giving us some clues would help. I.E. I'm finding trouble with wather shader: TriForge/StylizedWater

Thanks for your great asset ;)

36. DigitalChaotics

DigitalChaotics

I'm really looking forward to using the Fantasy Forest in a video I'm making. Unfortunately, I'm running the demo scene, and I'm looking at a LOT of pink. I've done the usual "fix the pink" stuff, and have just realized that you're using custom shaders that might NOT have been magically upgraded. Any thoughts?

I'm using Unity 2021.1.5f1. Pretty much the leading edge of "release" builds.

Hurry! I may have to go with another option!

37. Fer00m

Fer00m

If you're using URP, then use the conversion pack (the .unitypackage file) located in the main folder.
    Since you mentioned you already may have done some modifications, it's probably good idea to apply the conversion pack to a fresh import, just in case.

38. SureSight

SureSight

I am using V 2.1.0 in Unity 2020.1.6f and I have noticed some minor issues.

1. There seem to be quite a few missing and broken prefabs. e.g. birch_9, birch_10 and birch_19 in DemoScene_Autumn
      This has caused me some issues when upgrading from a previous version of the package.
    2. Only some assets have LOD meshes. Will you be adding LOD for 3 x levels of detail like tree_2?
    Could you please look into these as I am currently completing a performance pass on my game.

Many thanks

39. Nikovsk

Nikovsk

How can we download the previous version? I'm using Unity 2022, but I won't buy if I can't use it.