Search Unity

Fantasy Battle Similuator

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by WarpedAxiom, Mar 21, 2007.

1. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I've been working on this, which I jokingly call my own version of Massive.
    It's more of a simulation than a game, but it's rather fun (though slow).
    Select the teams by clicking on the characters, then set up the formations by clicking each one. Each unit type is worth a set value, and each unit can hold a certain value. If the unit type value exceeds the unit value, the unit will be left empty! For example, there will be three Hunters spawned in a Core (8/24), but only one Troll (16/24). The leftover points will be unused, but that will make the total value of the army less.
    If you play against a human, it's good to let the winner set his army first, and then the loser can match his choises.
    It's not completely balanced yet, but note this for example; Bowmen take out Swordmen, Swordmen takes out Hunters, Hunters take out Bowmen.
    Experiment to find your favorite formation.
    Try to not switch teams in between rounds, to get that campaign feeling.
    First to ten, or something. The game relies on your own imagination. Think of a story or something.
    The game uses a rather effective catch-up, the top dog should fear ruin.
    What else can I say? Oh, yeah. You can switch cameras with the arrow keys.
    More units to come, more races to come, definetly more levels to come.
    Enjoy.
    Oh, and please report all errors and bugs to me, as well as comments and suggestions. I will make a list and fix as much as I can.

Enjoy. Muhahaha.

--- Updated Link (Direct) ---

http://files.filefront.com/6991061

Enjoy. ENJOY IIIT!

2. drJones

drJones

hmm - not opening here on an intel imac.

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

For some reason the zip file you created doesn't have executable permissions set on the application.
    (Applications on OS X need to be executable to be allowed to run)

Did you use the finder context menu Create Archive?

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The quick fix is to go inside the application contents in terminal (cd <something>/Massive.app/Contents/MacOS) and do a 'chmod 755 Procedural'

5. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I have replaced the file. The replacement can be found at

http://hosted.filefront.com/WarpedAxiom/

The old link should be invalid now, though.
    This is zipped in finder, rather than with ZipIt, as the previous.
    ZipIt seems to often not work. Let's see what Finder can do.

6. Lallander

Lallander

Unless I've totally lost it that file downloaded as ANGELBLEACH_SOUL_SONIC_201.rar

and wont open.

Am I missing something here?

7. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

What the? Here's a direct link

http://files.filefront.com/6991061

This works fine for me. Download, unpack, play.
    Why. Must. Everything. Be. So. Needlessly. Complicated?

8. StarManta

StarManta

Use Google Pages (up to 10MB), and build a Web player so the file size is smaller. It'll save many headaches ;)

9. pete

pete

filefront link works.

that's some cool ai you got going. runs a bit slow for me but that's probably expected as i'm on a g4. great that they run away *fear*! and i like the way they go after the next. good stuff.

10. milkytreat

milkytreat

Worked for me, very cool :D i love how they run away (why does that always amuse me)

Its slow for me but im on g4 here and it was pushing 5fps on 640x480, fastest quality.

11. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

Thanks. Comments like those makes it all worthwhile.
    Is there anything you'd like to see added contentswise, or changed? If it runs too slow, try using more expensive units, as they will cause less units to be spawned. There can be between 6 (all trolls) and 82 (all harassers) units at the start of every battle...

12. drJones

drJones

haha very cool!

agree with what's been said, the ai works quite well.

one general suggestion for now - add in some more camera options so we can see the carnage better - mouse orbit, zoom etc. - more than once the bots chased someone off camera and all i could do was hear what was happening (which was quite funny by itself ; )

13. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

You are supposed to be able to switch between cameras... oh.. fudge... I accidetally removed that function in my frantic attempt to combat the missing textures bug. It's a long story. I forewent actual camera control, for sake of two player fairness. It's not nice if one of the players gets to steer the camera. Also, if you get in there, "real deep-like", it's not as pretty anymore. Although, it let's you get a closer look at the often painful and comical arrow hits! I'm thinking... southward ones.

Also, static cameras give it a ... cinematic experience.

14. drJones

drJones

i see, but maybe then some different pre-set views (one low angle a bit closer for instance) that could be toggled between? that way you could control the frame composition / fairness and at the same time give the user a few options to play with mid-battle ; )

edit - dope! reread your post it sounds like that's what you had already - i read too quick sometimes...

15. VeganApps

VeganApps

16. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

That is really cool! The gameplay is too simple for me I think.. I don't want to sit back and watch what happens! I want who wins to be decided by gaming skill or careful thinking like chess instead of a tic tac toe style setup where there is a small number of choices and you can almost always win if you memorize how it goes.

Except in tic tac toe the first person can always win if the second person is stupid, else it is always a tie and in this game the last person can always win, period... The only way to make it fair would be to not let player 2 see what player 1 is picking and not let player 1 see what player 2 picks. Or maybe just one of the things that eachother picks, with a few rounds of selecting troops so that each person has an equal chance to spy on the other's camp and adjust their forces accordingly.

That way it would involve a lot more strategy and more thinking, plus the time spent actually "playing" the game would be longer.

I love what you have accomplished already though. It it quite cool! :)

17. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I've seen battles with the exact same settings go completely differently. It's all very random. You do have a point, but I think there is still a great deal of strategy picking correct formations of troops. For instance, where you put a troll can have a HUGE influence. Even when you see what the other guy did, things often don't go according to plan. I'm gonna focus on adding more contents in the form of units and levels, rather than messing with the engine. It seems every time I fix something, I break something else. Now that it's all just sorta come together, I want to keep changes to it minimal unless convincingly necessary.

18. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I agree that it isn't exactly as certain as a thing like tic tac toe because of chaos theory and how it always comes out differently, but if I were you I would bite the bullet and focus on creating more gameplay. I think a layer of secrecy would be perfect for that cause. Seems like all it would take in upgrading the team selection screen a lot.

Another idea is to give each player a "Hero" that they can control with the arrow keys and a button to attack with. Just a simple thing to control that would let there be more of a interactive feel during the battle scene.

You don't have to listen to me but I liked what you are doing so I wanted to give input.

I guess I really shouldn't be talking because I haven't played it against anyone else yet. Well see how that goes but I suspect after a while it will get to whoever goes first loses most of the time.

19. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

0 fps
    2X 3ghz
    2gb ram
    geforce 7800gt

=/

(any chance of a webby? ;) )

20. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

it froze once when I was playing it too. Try again and see if it was just a freeze?

21. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

nah, its a windows ;)

22. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

"Spartans! Enjoy your breakfast, for tonight... we dine in Hell!!!"

=)

23. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

Oh, I'm sorry. I can't make windows builds, since I'm not on the pro. I can make a webplayer build, but I can't imagine it would run any faster. Still, it's just a push of a button. I'll get right to it friday. Today, I'm going to Denmark over the day and cannot work.

24. AaronC

AaronC

How do I have trolls instead of soldiers? It just seems to play through like an animation for me. Id like to see the trolls
    AC

25. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

ok, will be lookin forward to it, my pc is fairly good so probably wont have to big a problem running it even if it is in the browser, and welcome to denmark.

26. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

Well, uh, perhaps I wasn't clear on that in my original post, but the main menu contains these elements: Race selection for both teams, by clicking the corresponding animated icon located under the team's scores. This should highlight the selection and play an animation. Upon this, the different parts of the armies (Vanguard, core, flanks etc) can be set up by clicking it's name.
    This should show the name of the unit type selected for that unit. I can't be more clear on how the points work than I was in my original post. Try it out and you'll get how it works. Trolls are part of the goblin army, so click the little green dude and he'll start running like a monkey. Then trolls can be placed as vanguard, core or rearguard. You can have 0 to 3 trolls, thusly.
    The races (for lack of a better word) avaliable now are Human, Capritaur, Goblin and Undead. I plan to also include some kind of Asian themed humans, some ocean teamed (cthulhuesque, perhaps?) and some insectoid.

27. AaronC

AaronC

Dude, brighten it up. the firstscreen is just black with words on it. Theres no pictures that I can see.
    AC

28. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I think the goblins are overpowered. One setup with them, front = ironclad, left and right = harasser center = overseer, rear = troll, is almost unbeatable. I think the only thing that can beat it (sometimes) is itself or those werewolf looking dudes with front and center = polefighter, left and right = berserker and rear = berserker or hunter

The zombies just suck. the necromancers need to do magic and bring dead guys back to life to fight on thier team... :D

29. Miles

Miles

I thought it felt like an uncontrolable version of Myth. Very cool, but at least let the player bark commands at his army or somesuch. I agree that some of the characters need to be better balanced as well.

30. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

Good, good. That's exactly the feedback I need. When the other teams recieve additional specialized units, they should be more powerful to stop the goblin onslaught. I have made two more goblin units; Zappers (goblin archers, possessing lesser range than the other archers) and Whelps (a young troll, as a hard hitter choice). There is a final goblin unit planned, a wolf rider. I first need to impliment a cavalry function, and model a decent low poly wolf.
    Team Goblin is summarized
    Harassers: Fast attack, Overwhelmer
    Zappers: Range, Overwhelmer
    Whelp: Hard hitter, Tank
    Troll: Superhard hitter, Tank
    Ironclad: Tank
    Overseer: Superstats

As for the Myth comparisson, it's nowhere near worthy of that. Myth is genious. I still play Myth sometimes.
    My game has two advantages on Myth, the first being that superior number isn't a guaranteed victory. The second is that units block more efficiently. In Myth, units cannot block multiple attacks and are overpowered. In my game as skilled blocker could theoretically block all attacks even when completely surrounded.

31. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I wouldn't give the goblins more units! They have the most as it is! Why not make the other races more interesting and not suck? In any case I still think it has a lot of potential for gameplay that would be brought out with more complicated setup stuff and some in battle controls.

32. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I focus on one side at a time. I've added some new units to the Undead and the Capritaurs too. I should have a new build by the end of the week, and that will include a web player. I have plans to add controls too. I don't want to go into details yet.

I've added order support. Players can now select a unit (that is, military unit, not a single character, unless, he's the only one in his unit) and issue a basic order to it. These are Advance (standard mode of attack), Charge (double speed and greater attack, but lessened defence), Retreat (forced fall back) and Hold Ground (stand still and hold the line, greater defensive capabilities, but lessened offense).

33. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

New version added.
    - Added world map. Click a title to start that scene.
    - Added Bowman, Swordsmaster, Spearman, Render, Defiler, Bloodknight, Wrath, Fury, Whelp and Zapper unit types.
    - Some additional balancing done. I still need help with that. More in the line of specific comments such as "this and this unit should be stronger, have longer range, hit harder etc".
    - Added controls
    Player 1
    W select vanguard
    S select core
    A select left flank
    D select right flank
    X select rearguard
    Q Advance order
    E Charge order
    Z Retreat order
    C Hold ground order
    Player 2
    Y select vanguard
    H select core
    G select left flank
    J select right flank
    N select rearguard
    T Advance order
    U Charge order
    B Retreat order
    M Hold ground order
    Orders can be issued on main menu screen. This is more effective often than frnatically scrmbling units in the fray.
    - Added some new sounds
    - Minor fixes and code updates
    - Increased run speed somewhat
    - Added a web player version
    - Added Camera Switching (Left and Right arrow key)

For download, please visit
    http://hosted.filefront.com/WarpedAxiom/

34. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

i just tried the webby, there was only like 4-5 men on the screen and still i had horrendous lag,

my rig is
    2X 2.8ghz
    2gb ram
    geforce 7800gt

so i doubt its the hardware thats the problem.

35. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I will look into it. The webplayer works OK on any computer I've tried it on, so it's hard to tell what the problem is.